HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock asym and Hex
    Insulation
    None for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies

HHSS and UQ

I had a thought today on something I don't believe I've read here.

Has anyone used the under/outer cover of the SuperShelter with an under quilt instead of the pad and reflector? I can see this helping to WX proof the quilt and stopping some wind and draft.

Am I way off base here?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I've done it with my HHDJ XL and HG Incubator & Burrow and I was toasty warm. I also used the HHSS top cover with it, just watch for condensation.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm curious...I was thinking about going at this the other way.

Has anyone out there tried putting the HHSS Underpad+SB under the hammock, but instead of using the undercover, placing an underquilt there to hold the pad in place and provide additional insulation?

Could you then add a UQP underneath that as a windshield??? Thoughts?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ka8yiu View Post
    I had a thought today on something I don't believe I've read here.

Has anyone used the under/outer cover of the SuperShelter with an under quilt instead of the pad and reflector? I can see this helping to WX proof the quilt and stopping some wind and draft.

Am I way off base here?
    I have HHSS on order and plan on using one of my underquilts with it. It can be very wet where I live so thought it might come in useful.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was actually thinking about this today. Curious if anyone has actually tried it.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I will be trying it in a couple of days. Hennessey super shelter and Jarbridge combos to be tried!

Images
    This, and several variation thereof, has certainly be done and has great potential. For instance, Y'all search for kwpapke and his reports of his trip with Shug where he took an augmented HHSS to minus 27 and was warm. Rather than suspending an UQ inside or outside the hammock, he put a down sleeping bag ( summer weight I think) plus his down parka under the pad and space blanket. I have always put the clothing I am not sleeping in under the pad to sleep far warmer than otherwise possible for me.

With the "inside the UC" approach, which will give you the advantage of wind and rain block, you should be aware of 2 likely problems:
    1: when adding down, the UC's elastics, which normally help support the HH pad to keep it snugged up against your back, will have a tendency to compress the down, more so in some spots than others.

2: Condensation is a high likelihood with the UC acting as a cold VB. Using VBs, like the HH recommended space blanket, as the 1st layer right under the hammock and on top of the pad or quilts if no pad used, should help minimize the condensation. Always does for me anyway.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines and let's see what you come up with this winter! It is absolutely time someone broke kwpapke's minus 27 with an HHSS record!

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    I will be trying it in a couple of days. Hennessey super shelter and Jarbridge combos to be tried!
    Prepare to roast!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    This is an old subject...And the thoughts and facts have been expressed before... Since they were restated above....please consider the following.

Baically these two approaches are incompatable....

The HHSS is designed to fit snug to the hammock with a 3/4 open cell foam pad.

A down quilt is designed and optimized to perform at its design loft....

So, when the HHSS is used over a 2.5 or 3.5 inch loft quilt you can see how radically the loft will be reduced...It will be warm in moderate temps but it will not achieve its design capability... Some may argue that it got to 20-25* and worked, but probably it was the extra windproof layer that got it to the 20-25* mark...The quilt alone would do that... Why carry the extra 7-8 oz of the HHSS shell ?

Oh... and for those seeking the waterproof protection of the shell, understand that while it adds waterproofness from below...It is a condensation trap for the non-sensible sweat from the sleeper above. And the sink for the trapped moisture is the under quilt, not desirable on an extended trip.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts