Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    It is the UQ that is getting you, I think.
    I've been a convert to a 3/4 down underquilt and I've liked it just fine. I used to use it with a Thermarest square or a Gossamer Gear thinlite pad (3oz) but now I've gone to a 20" x 36" Thermarest ProLite instead. The prolite is 5oz more than either of the other two but meant that I can go to ground w/out carrying additional insulation if I absolutely need to. And the prolite is easier to get in position than the smaller square (15 x 11). And I can sit on it if I need to.

In other news:
    10 stakes? try 6 (trivial but ....) You're in the trees, yes?
    piece of reflextix AND Thermarest sit square? (not sure what you use the reflextix for)
    lantern AND headlamp?

My husband's Marmot rain suit is quite bulky (it is older, like 12 years? and they may have gotten lighter and less bulky). I have some REI rain shell that still has pitzips but is much more compact and also some old rain pants (redledge) but they need replacing since the seat finally leaks. H's marmot rain pants are much nicer (and twice the bulk) as mine.
    -Liz -

I still use my Jansport D3. It's big, it's yellow, and it's awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone. Looking again at how I have my gear packed, the PLUQ and the sleeping bag are definitely where I am paying a volume penalty and also a little bit on the weight as well. The PLUQ is 28.5 oz, and the sleeping bag is 31 oz. I think I could get into the 50 liter pack range by switching to down UQ & TQ. The primaloft jacket takes up some space, but really, in those temperatures I need it in camp. I keep my rain gear in the lid pocket of the pack, so that's not where I am losing volume.

I'd already decided to ditch the lexan mug (2.5 oz) and probably switch from the Platypus gravity works filter (12 oz) to a Sawyer Squeeze water filter if I can ever get my hands on some Evernew bladders. Leaving the lantern at home saves another 4.5 oz. It hangs nicely on the ridgeline for reading at night, but I can just use the headlamp.

The 10 stakes is just how my tarp & hammock are staked out. Two for the WBBB, and then my tarp has 4 tie outs per side (two on the bottom and two pull-outs in the middle). Four of them together only weigh an ounce, so that's not a big deal. The reflectix is for a little extra insulation in the hammock since my PLUQ isn't full length. It's only 1.5 oz, and I keep it in the front pocket, so it's neither a weight nor bulk offender.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    with the sawyer squeeze... don't wait, they fixed the problem with a new bag... if you buy a new sawyer you will only get one 32 oz bag, but it is beefed up in strength and shouldn't bust... several threads going on about them... i love my sawyer even with the old bags... just be slow about getting you water... don't rush it, what else do you have to do on the trail other than enjoy the surroundings and listen to the water run...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock = Smaller pack?

I understand the $1000 but you can always replace items here and there until you get to where you want to be. Or do like I did and sell off everything that wasn't nailed down to raise the money. I recently made the switch to hammocks from tent and like I said sold off a bunch of other "toys" to get the money. I went from a 30ish lbs pack to about a 15 lbs pack.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock = Smaller pack?

Oh and I use an ULA Ohm 2.0

Images
    Some more random thoughts after reading your gear list.

This is just what I would do, you should hike your own hike.

I'd ditch the lantern

Batteries - I'd start out with fresh headlight batteries. That would last 4 nights. When I camp alone instead of extra batteries I carry an extra headlamp because how do you change the batteries in the dark?

You might try carrying some combination of hammock, tarp, PLUQ, sleeping bag, outside the pack. That would give you the extra space you are looking for.

I'd ditch the lexan mug and drink from the pot. Use meals that you can reconstitute in their own packaging which frees your pot up to use as the mug. Or take two pots that nest.

I'd ditch the pee bottle. I have had to get out of my hammock at 3am in the freezing cold so I know why you want it though.

I carry duct tape on my trekking poles. That's not a lot of space in your pack, but every bit might help.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    Ditch the lantern. If you are using clear bag bladders. Take a photon or other led light and clip it to half full bladder( or less) and attach to bottom of bag so led shines up through the bladder. It will turn your bladder into a lamp. Just a thought works great for me.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's my plan--one piece at a time until I have the gear I want.

Huh. Interesting trick with the water bottle as a lantern. Might have to give that a try. In terms of changing headlamp batteries in the dark, I usually also bring a little squeeze light in my pocket.

I already use freezer bag cooking method, so the mug was just an unnecessary luxury. I may also just use a titanium mug and save weight on the pot, if I can figure out how to fashion a lid for it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Items worth looking at:

WBBB: Wonderful hammock for above-50 trips where skeeters get bad. However, if the nighttime temps are going to be in the 40s, it may be worth going with a simple gathered-end. Just a thought...

Hex Tarp and Rain Gear: Is it worth going to a minimalist asym tarp (or Cuben, but you said that's out of your budget for the near future) and a poncho? The poncho can double as an undercover to shed wind and rain.

Sleeping Bag, Primaloft Jacket, and PLUQ: Yep, both of those are volume hogs. Down's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Something that may be worth looking at instead of taking the Primaloft jacket is getting a wearable down top quilt from JRB. Just a thought.

Reflectix Square and Sit Pad: It may be worth carrying just one or the other; a single item can double as foot insulation with a partial-length underquilt.

Tyvek Ground Sheet: How big is this? I get the attraction of having a "front porch" for the hammock, but it may be worth cutting this down to the minimum needed for your shoes and to stand on when changing clothes.

Pack Towel: My opinion? Unless it's a trip where you expect to be swimming, bring a bandanna instead. Tie it to your shoulder strap, and you have a pre-filter, sun shade (in combination with a visor or baseball cap), sweat rag, pot grabber, towel, etc.

Filter: As mentioned, the Sawyer Squeeze is smaller, lighter, and less prone to needing replacement.

Pee Bottle and Trowel: I second (third? fourth? fifth?) the sentiment of leaving these at home. Neither is really needed, though if you really feel that you need a trowel, bring a single sturdier tarp stake (MSR Groundhogs work well) so you can dual-use.

Lantern and Kindle: I'd leave both at home. If you have an headlamp, you have a lantern (given a little creativity). If you have a smartphone, you have a way to read in the hammock on short trips (and if you're on longer trips, bring an extra battery; it'll save both weight and bulk).

Car Keys: Bring just the key needed to open your car and operate it.

Notebook and Pen: How much writing do you do out on the trail? I don't do much, but I do take a lot of video...it serves the same purpose.

Trash Bag: Is this your pack liner? If not, why not use your used food Ziplocks as trash? It's what I do...

Rain Pants: I find that my legs and feet don't get cold while I'm moving. When I'm stopped, I dry off with my bandanna and throw on long underwear and my sleep socks. The fleece pants can serve that purpose.

Emergency Whistle: As this is part of your emergency kit, I'm reluctant to touch it. However, would it be worth getting one of those sternum strap buckles that has the whistle built in? Just a thought...

Anyway, that's the stuff that stands out for me. Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast