The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Bonded Tie-outs?

I'm expecting my tarp materials any day now, and so I've spent a bit of time on Youtube looking up random tarp DIY videos. I came across this video of someone bonding tie-outs to silnylon. I did a search here for the youtube username, but came up empty.

Any concerns with this process?

I don't know how to add the video directly this thread, so here's a link.

LINK
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Only concern I would be how much wind abuse it could take. But then again, if one of the tie outs failed, your tarp would still work just fine.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Exactly my thought x. I otoh would not be concerned with strength through abuse. If it comes unbonded, ok easy peasy. Great simple idea and I would have never found not thought of it till you posted this cowboy. Thank you for making a future project easier for me. Great post.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    DetailMan did extensive testing on the strength of bonded tie-outs a while back. CLICKITY

It seems bigger is definitely better. I guess there's no harm in making your patches bigger, other than looking dopey (and a minuscule weight penalty).

Also, here's your link to the video:

This looks like a very nice and neat way to bond tie-outs. I like it! Thanks for posting!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    cowboy -- definitely no issues with this method, but I'd suggest reading the link Pips has in her post to see an alternate method. I've had these on three tarps with no issues at all. The guy in video did a thorough job, but his method will yield a pullout heavier and uglier than is necessary.

I will offer these comments on the video based on my experience: The grosgrain will not bond well enough to the silnylon for a permanent pullout (ask me how I know this ). The delamination he observed will only worsen. I sewed my grosgrain loops to my patches before glueing them to the tarp, and recommend this method to you. Use some silnylon to backup your stitches on the inside of the patch.

You'll have some scrap silnylon from making your tarp. Use the scraps to make the pullouts. The guy suggested that regular ripstop would work, but I wouldn't take the chance of a DWR inhibiting the bond.

Roughing the fabric, while good for other materials, is unnecessary for silnylon. I would be concerned about leaving dust particles behind to contaminate the glueline.

Placing weight on the pullouts is also unnecessary if using a squeegee to remove excess adhesive. You can remove all but a paper thickness of silicone from between the layers of fabric and still have a good glueline. As you squeegee the excess, immediately wipe it off. It makes for a prettier job vs topcoating the edges.

Definitely wait a full day to let the silicone cure before stressing the pullout. Silnet seam sealer or 100% silicone caulk is necessary for this to work.

My pullouts are about 4" x 7" diamonds with rounded corners.

Hope this helps clarify some details. Good luck on the tarp.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    You'll have some scrap silnylon from making your tarp. Use the scraps to make the pullouts. ...
    And for the love of Pete, line up the squares on the patches with the squares on the tarp for a neater final product!

Good luck!

Obsessively,
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did almost the same thing as that video for pullout on my tarp. I'll make it easier for you and neater. First any 100% silicone works, I used GE from Lowes. You do not need to sand anything (don't sand your tarp) and you don't need wax paper. Make your circle of silinylon sew on your tab. I just cut a piece of grosgrain fold it and sew it on top of the sili circle. Glob some silicone in the spot you want the pullout and smear it around. You want it smeared on THIN!!!!!! Put you pullout on and smooth out the wrinkles and air bubbles. Squeeze out as much silicone out from under the pullout as possible. Use a rag and wipe off any silicone that is visible on the tarp or around the pullout patch. Let it dry for 24 hours and it will never come off. trust my I have tried. I can post a picture if you need one.

• + New Posts