Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    We're waiting for your videos. As they say, pics or it didn't happen.
    Waiting for your video that shows it doesn't work
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by perchancetodream View Post
    I can see this working with a thick triangle of quality plywood (no voids). Clamp three layers of 3/4" with waterproof glue then drill at an appropriate angle.
    Yes, like Bannerstone did last year with his Windsor Witch stand. He took it a step further and lathed the end cap.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=57498

He said he was refining more but there have been no more updates. I am planning on building an aluminum pole stand to replace the wood turtle dog stands that we have been using and would like to try Bannerstones method or Solus method. Just want a bit more info from Solus before I decide which because I leaned towards the aluminum plate over the drilled wood method... Though the wood method might have more of a wow factor if sanded and stained nice like Bannerstones setup. Wood or aluminum; too totally different looks/feels. I like them both!
    Last edited by Chadx; 02-15-2014 at 10:16.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    Waiting for your video that shows it doesn't work
    Don't hold your breath. I'm not going to do something that I expect to fail and possibly hurt myself.

You're the one that thinks it will work, so show us please and save us all from our foolish ways.

Hammock
    DL Warbonnet Ridge runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Feathered Friends
    Suspension
    dutch

Aluminum plate

Quote Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
    Solus,
    Love your plate design and this is the direction I want to go as we work to replace our woodleg/hinged turtledog stand with aluminum pole setups ( mainly because of the shorter breakdown length). Any more info you can provide would be great. Thickness of plate, any bending/denting of plate or poles yet, more on plate/pole interface, size of plate holes, etc. It looks like the plate holes are straight rather than angled and the poles being spread wedge the plate from sliding down as does the change in pole diameter at the end. I had planned on making a plate with three leg receivers welded to it but this looks as if the leg receivers would be unnecessary. Please share any more specs or lessons learned. Thanks!
    Morning
    the plate was 12x12x 3/8 - I could have used 1/4 but I had the 3/8 laying around.
    I used a 1 1/2 metal hole saw for the six holes. I started out using a barrel burr bit to get the correct angles but the aluminum is so soft that it clogged up the bit . I have a straight grinder so then I tried a 1/4 steel drill bit. I just used the side of the drill bit and it worked great.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=87383
    ***Figure out your 3 radials - mark the side of each hole***
    * If you don't touch the sides of the 1 1/2 holes. Just remove say 30 degrees on top inside toward center - Then 30 degrees bottom outside from center ** Then the poles will not rock side to side (as long as you do not remove any material from the center side walls. After I got the first tripod the angle I wanted I mark the spots on the blacktop where the legs touched and then Made the other tripod to match
    I have had this setup Up several times once in really high winds where I had to anchor the tripods down and it has held up well. One thing I did do I tied 550 cord around the middle set of poles to keep the legs from spreading out.
    The reason is when I was building it I had it on my blacktop driveway and I hung my body (200lbs) from a single tripod just to check it out. With a smooth surface at the bottom of the tripod it wanted to spring outwards. it stopped - it did not kink the poles but the 550 cord was an easy to do and I will use it to hang my wet gear (Kayaker)
    To keep the 10 poles together I used Grainger Snap Button, A, 0.250D x0.390 H,
    I also changed the 550 clovehitchs I have on the poles at the top of plate to Snap Button, A, 0.365 Dx0.370 H It makes it easier to take the whole thing apart for the top of the poles as you saw
    finally I cut and rounded off 3" of the two Isosceles Triangle ends of the plate and 1' off the other this made it considerable smaller
    FUNNY you mentioned welding I was (retired Boilermaker) a welder by trade and that was my first idea also.
    If I missed anything or you need photos (I have plenty) just contact me.
    Last edited by solus; 02-16-2014 at 08:22. Reason: to add grainger order #s

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just testing in cold weather, 2- 2 1/2 ft of snow playing with the snowshoes. Actually I got a 20* burrow for Christmas and wanted to try it out in 0*. Adam makes some great stuff. just thought I'd share the stand in the snow... I know kind of stupid, but going to try it overnight again it should be a bit warmer. Looks like 14* tomorrow night.

Last edited by Agfadoc; 02-15-2014 at 13:29.

Free-standing tripods: if the tripod angle is steeper than the angle of suspension, then the horizontal component of hammock tension will be greater than the horizontal component of compressive resistance by the leg. The leg will rotate around the planted end. Action continues until the BHG event horizon is reached. Please post video!

If the tripod leg angle is shallower than the hammock suspension, the rotation cannot occur. 12' legs set 18' apart give you a 6' peak and 30 degree leg angle. Inboard legs overlap and tripods rotated 15 degrees to make room for hammock. Footprint is about 20' x 20'. I think the tripod legs need to be pretty stout to handle the beam action.

Red hammock with a blue and a green stands.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by perchancetodream; 02-15-2014 at 13:40.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I think you could just as easily do it with only the inboard legs being 12', and the other 4 being 8'.

It's all academic to me though.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

The inboard poles are pretty much doing the same job as the ridgepole, resisting the horizontal hammock tension component by compression. Instead of a convenient overhead pole for hanging a bug net, you've got inconvenient side barricades blocking access to the hammock. At least the bear has to climb over them to get at the middle of the burrito.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by perchancetodream View Post
    ...Footprint is about 20' x 20'. I think the tripod legs need to be pretty stout to handle the beam action....
    Sort of goes back to where I said...

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ..The tripods would have to have a massive spread and be made of heavy materials to not need the ridgepole...
    It would also require heavy duty spread limiters between the legs or staking of the legs. Might as well us an Alamosa setup with single guyed poles.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Morning
    the plate was 12x12x 3/8 - I could have used 1/4 but I had the 3/8 laying around.
    I used a 1 1/2 metal hole saw for the six holes.
    Thanks, Solus! That does it. I'm making a Solus stand. Going to get the poles ordered in the next couple weeks and source a plate so I have it on hand when the poles arrive. The detailed description is much appreciated and will be a big help. Once complete, it will be hard to wait for spring camping so will give it a go in the yard on one of the warmer Montana weekends with my zero degree TQ/UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast