Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Solus, can you make the top piece with all three holes in line rather than in a triangle?

Hi guys,

I'm brand new in this forum and a Dutchman... and also a paraglider (in a land with no mountains).

I like the concept of the turtle, better than the Handy Hammock because high in the mountains (the Alps) there are mostly rocks so it is not possible to nail something into the ground.

I will use the hammock only for par awaiting (= waiting for good conditions) so no sleeping or camping. The hammock doesn't have to be extremely large or sturdy, just a bit of hanging in the sun. The hammock itself I'll make from an old paraglider...

My questions is: what is the best solution in a turtle way. It has to be light, I have to take it with walking up on the mountain and flying back, easy to set up, no nailing into the ground.

I've been through this thread and I think fiber glass is good idea from perchancetodream.
    The solution of Solus is a bright one I think.

But is there anybody around here who can give me information about type of poles, materials etc, in a way that I can come close to Handy Hammock solution with the total weight?

I'm really eager to start to build my own design so I can use it within a month when I start flying again.... ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jw.kooijmans View Post
    ...But is there anybody around here who can give me information about type of poles, materials etc, in a way that I can come close to Handy Hammock solution with the total weight?...
    I don't believe this is the solution you are looking for.

These surplus aluminum/fiberglass pole systems only break down into 4' lengths and weigh well over 30 lbs. The handy hammock system weighs 3.37 lbs with the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    These surplus aluminum/fiberglass pole systems only break down into 4' lengths and weigh well over 30 lbs. The handy hammock system weighs 3.37 lbs with the hammock.
    Thanks for the swift response!

Hmmm, but the complete turtle system can be smaller/lower as the examples shown in this forum.

B.t.w. what do you mean with "4' lengths"? As Dutchman I use the metric system and I do not know how to convert 4' into cm's or something.

I do understand of course that the weight of the Handy Hammock is unbeatable! So a bit more weight is no problem, I'm a strong and healthy man...

30 lbs = ± 14 kg.... My paragliding gear weights 15 kg. I have ± 6-8 kg tolerance with my glider in weight (or I have to buy a larger glider...).

What will be the minimum possible weight for a turtle system with shorter vertical poles and a short horizontal pole?

Or is there a system available which is light with no drilling (I've search the internet but didn't find anything.

Remember, it is for relaxing, not for die-hard camping with a tarp or something...
    The sky is no limit!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    4' = 1.22m

Hammock
    GrizzBridge

No ridgepole

but....but....but, it doesn't have a ridge pole.

You might want to just make a hammock chair. It's mentioned in this thread. Not sure if the instructions are here also.

Last edited by Stovemandan; 02-18-2014 at 22:24.
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    but....but....but, it doesn't have a ridge pole.
    'Cause it ain't a turtle stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jw.kooijmans View Post
    What will be the minimum possible weight for a turtle system with shorter vertical poles and a short horizontal pole?
    I haven't weighed the finished stand, but 13 - 14 kilos is probable. I made no effort to keep it light. Shortening the tripods to 180cm was more than offset by the wood reinforcements I added. But I'm content that it's capable.

Roughly: a short, compact turtle using fiberglass poles, no reinforcement:
    1220cm military fiberglass poles weigh ~850g or about 700g / meter
    1m tall tripods : 6 x 0.7 kg + hardware = maybe 4.5 kg.
    Ridgepole 2.4m = 1.7 kg
    270cm (9') hammock
    30 degree angle hang with low sitting height 15 - 20cm
    suspension length very short - just enough to tie to ridgepole ~ 4cm
    Might bump your head on the ridgepole when sitting, but the whole thing could weigh under 7kg.

The guyline & truss system in the video above is way lighter and more compact, but you've got to have exceptional staking terrain. Probably won't be acceptable to drive nails into your friends' nice hardwood floors.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I really don't understand what you're trying to get at.

MGLion asked about removing the ridgepole and using the tripods only in a free standing state. With the light tripods we are using, that will not work.

You are proposing using a tie-out/down to take the side loads instead of the ridgepole. Of course this will work. It will also work with bipods, single poles (and even no poles if you're hanging from house walls).

Support for the tripods or no support for the tripods = apples to oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
    but....but....but, it doesn't have a ridge pole....
    And your point is...?

We're still waiting on your video of free standing tripods without a ridgepole supporting a fully weighted hammock.

Yep the Handy Hammock from the YouTube video above is pretty!

But the places where I go it is mostly above tree level and the ground is only rock and stones. The Handy Hammock uses 4 lines and every line has to be fasten to the ground with 3(!) nails. So in total 12 nails.... Not a option and very very frustrating!

Thanks perchancetodream for the information!

I will start to play around with fiber glass poles, ridge pole, etc.... Will try to make a nice, turtle way, solution and hopefully bring the weight down to under the 5 kg (± 11 lbs).

A challenging project! ;-)
    The sky is no limit!

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast