DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Straycat tarp $25

Last weekend I got a wild hair and realized I had a tarp I wasn't using. It was a Coleman pop up shelter wall that I bought for around $15 at walmart I think when I first started hanging. It served its purpose at the time and was replaced by a Campmor 10x12.

So here's how I did it:

Starting fabric was 6x12 I took 2ft off the end making it 10ft long. I then took a tape measure and marked a line at 24" on the long sides of the tarp. Connecting that with the center point on the short side center point gave me a basic hex shape.

To create my cat cuts I measured to the center on every edge. Once I had my center points, I marked a spot 8" in on the long sides and 4" in on the short sides. Using my highly tuned eyeballs, I created the curve with a pen then once I was satisfied with the caternary shape I made, I traced over my pen with a sharpie. I cut and sewed every edge with reinforcements where the tie outs would be. By the way, the reinforcements are from the extra fabric I had.

The tie outs were made from black with white polka dot grosgrain my wife bought at a fabric store. Of course the polka dots went on the inside. I cut each of the 6 tie outs to 10" to allow for plenty of contact with the tarp and reinforcements.

It took me a total of about 8 hours to complete this tarp from start to finish. The next one I make will be a little different on the measurements. Instead of an 8ft long side, I will make it 8.5 ft. It'll give me a little more toe and head room under the tarp.

I call this creation the "Straycat" because its ugly, was previously unwanted, and lost weight from when I abandoned it. Next time I tackle this I will force myself to take pics along the way so you great guys and gals out there can have yet another tutorial. This was a fairly simple project including the sewing. I think anyone should be able to tackle this project with little effort and a days time.

I have yet to try this thing out in the rain, but I'm pretty certain I will stay dry using this tarp. It was a great trial run before I go buying impetus, cuben, or sil. It was a cheap tarp that including materials, whether previously owned or not is less than $25.

Last edited by Fish<><; 02-24-2013 at 07:17.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Any pics of the final product?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Ill upload some after my son goes to bed. I meant to say that earlier.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I edited my first post and added pics.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Post a couple of pics with it flying, when you get the time, hopefully with a hammock under for size comparison. Looks like a great repurpose of an item. Any idea on the weight? Can't be too heavy, I would think. ........RR

P.S. Very nice job with the stitching/design.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Looks good! Thanks for the inspiration
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I have a buddy that hikes with me sometimes but doesn't have a lot of $$...so I lend him stuff. I'm going to take your idea and make him a tarp out of a camo Wally World tarp I have and kill two birds with one stone. I'm gonna learn how to do this, and then give him the tarp.

Thanks for the inspiration!

G-Nut

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    RR, it weighs 356 grams without guy lines and hardware. I will have to wait until the weekend more than likely, but ill try to get it up sooner for you guys for pics.

Grapenut, there's already a thread for the Poly tarps and that is where I got my inspiration. The poly tarps are only about $5 cheaper than this Coleman shelter wall and they weigh a considerable amount more. That is why I wanted to post my project on here versus just posting some pics. The tarp material I used is a taffeta of either nylon or polyester and has a poly waterproof coating on one side. If you look at the picture of my tieout, you can see a slight color difference due to that coating. I think this would be the perfect project for a pretty lightweight tarp(12.5oz) that your friend should be pretty happy to receive.

Grapenut, I am going to put better blueprints up tonight if I get the chance and that should help a bit with your project. I made an error in my first post on what I would change so ill correct that when I post the design.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Fish, awesome! Thanks for the tips! Appreciate you sharing the tribal lore on this.

G-Nut

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    It certianly looks good and if it is fully water proof and can keep you dry in a real down pour then you've certainly got yourself a great tarp. Have you tested the water proofness of the material yet?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast