Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

New Darien UL in Coyote; 1st Test Hang

Performed my initial "disaster check" of my new Darien UL hammock; thought I'd share my initial impressions. Will be taking it on an over-nighter next weekend with some forum members; needed to make sure it checked out so I took it to a local community lake just to set it up and make sure it was good to go.

Goal; a ultralight hammock to optimize my ultralight 3 season set up; the Darien UL weights just over 11 oz including suspension, cuben fiber bishop bag, cuben fiber ridgeline organizer, integrated bug net, tree straps, whoopie slings and a full complement of dutch gear: Dutch whoopie hooks, quilt hooks, dutch clip on tree straps. Site claims this is the lightest hammock with an integrated bug net; I couldn't find anything lighter. Went with integrated bug net for weight and functionality; I'm in Missour so bugs are almost a 4 season issue here. Fabric is 1.0; its so lightweight you can almost see through it. You definitely won't want to poke a hole in it and it comes with a weight limit of 200 lbs; I'm 160 so that's not a problem.

Cost; $200; a good value considering this setup is optimized and complete; perfect suspenssion, carrying sack etc.

Fit & Finish: perfect craftsmanship; that's all you can say about that, the whoopie slings are spliced right onto the whoopie hooks, there are 4 dutch quilt hooks sewn onto the hammock.

Funtionality; The real value of the whoopie hooks is that it reverses your whoopie slings which means you can adjust them a lot closer than you can when the fixed loop is toward the tree. I didn't realize how big of a difference this would make; it enables you to set up your hammock with the ideal 30 degree angle on your suspension between trees that are as close as 4.5 paces or far away. This means you have greater flexibility on the distance between trees; for me it means my tarp is the determining factor for what I need as far as distance between trees. The zippers work very smoothly, I wish they were black instead of silver but I'm nit-picking. The cuben fiber ridgeline organizer is great, holds glasses, a flashlight or Ipod/phone quite well; also it's constructed in a tube so you could stuff something into the tube; hard to explain but it's a very well thought out, ultralight organizer. There's also a little loop sewn into one edge, not sure what that's there for; my quess is you could attach some shock cord to it and stake out that side of the hammock a bit.

Comfort; I opted for the 10' lenght; I'm only 5' 7" so I like the shorter hammock, plus I wanted to optimize the weight. I love how it lays; it's asymetrically cut you can only really lay one way in it but it has extra fabric for the footbox area. Nice and flat. I also love how you can see out of it really well.

Summary; Normally this hammock is offered in ACU and woodland camo but they happened to get a quantity of the coyote in and I changed my order to that; I love the look, it'll good great with my olive green underquilts The Whoopie slings are a hot green color; I would have preferred a more subdued gray but they aren't bad as is.

Getting this light of a hammock with all of these "optimized" (theres that word again) features is fantastic and all of the titanium dutchware is simply outstanding. It's ready to hang right out of the box and the customer service from Dream Hammocks is as good as anything I've ever experienced anywhere ever. I'm convinced that an integrated bug net is the way to go if the majority of your hanging is in a buggy area like my part of Missouri; I've had netless hammocks with a seperate bug net but didn't really care for all of the extra netting. I don't think there's a more optimized ultra light weight complete hammock out there at this moment in time.

I've attached a few pics too; if I notice anything else when I use it next weekend I'll update my post; if I don't, then it performed as perfectly as I expect it to.

The bottom line? This is a perfect hammock if you're under 200 lbs and you're really trying to move into ultralight backpacking; it's also the kind of gear you'll need to/want to take care of.

Gideon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gideon; 02-24-2013 at 23:36.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    A few more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: New Darien UL in Coyote; 1st Test Hang

Love it... Only way to get it lighter is with UCRs... Could shave a few feet of amsteel that way... Not much but if your counting grams UCRs are your friend...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    There's also a little loop sewn into one edge, not sure what that's there for;

Thanks for the very detailed look at the Darien UL. I hope it works great for you on this upcoming trip.

This little loop is a direct result of customer feedback asking for a way to keep the net flipped back over the hammock when it's not needed. The idea is to clip a lightweight object to the loop and throw it back over the hammock. Having a little weight pulling the netting back will hopefully provide enough pull on the net to prevent the netting from being in your way. I haven't heard any reports back on this addition, so I'd be interested in hearing if the loop works for you.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Beautiful hammock you have there - congrats!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Nice hammock,im happy for you. Do you feel any calf bite at all?

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    great review, thanks

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    Nice hammock,im happy for you. Do you feel any calf bite at all?
    Won't really know until I spend a night in it or two, however, just laying around in it, it feels more comfortable than my black bird or Hennessey. I notice calf pressure on my black bird but it doesn't really bother me. I think it'll be even better on the Darien. Also, if you got it in 11ft vs 10 ft I think it only improves. We'll see this weekend.

One more complete hammock setup to go and my three youngest will be able to go on hangs together with me....I'm looking forward to that!

Gideon

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images

Re: New Darien UL in Coyote; 1st Test Hang

Hairbear, I'm sleeping out in my Darien UL tonight. There is definitely a tight gather under me but, between the way the hammock is cut and the way I lay, it passes comfortably behind my knee rather than under my calf. It's a nice flat lay and very comfy. Amazing, really, given its UL character. And papasmurf, thanks for the info on that loop. I'll have to check in the morning to see if mine has one. BTW, I love the integrated quilt hooks. It makes a big difference w my DIY quilt.

I was hoping for low thirties overnight but it's quite balmy so far: 44 at present. But sky is clear so maybe the mercury will drop. Wish me luck on my first overnight in the Darien UL. Gideon, thanks for the write up.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I got a Darien UL in Coyote recently, too, and love it! Super comfy, the weight is off the charts on the good side of things and all the details are just right (love the dutchware, ridgeline organizer, etc.).

Definitely a winner - this is my go to rig when backpacking.

Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast