Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Crinkle Poly Taffeta too heavy?

We've heard about how heavy those tablecloth hammocks are. The fabric itself weighs 2.6 oz/yd.
    So who would carry one of these on a backpacking trip?
    ME

Depending on how it is used within the entire hammock system, there is very little weight penalty.
    For the heavier hanger a tablecloth hammock, correctly used within a system, can actually reduce your pack weight.

Example -
    This hammock was made from a 126"x60" tablecloth blank.
    The entire hammock (including suspension, straps, stuff sack, etc) ready to hang weighs 23.5 oz and has a comfort rating of 300lbs.
    This particular one was carried last year on a week-long AT trip through SNP.

So let's compare the weights of a hammock, net and suspension (or integrated net hammock) from a couple of the lighter systems available.
    Under 200lbs body weight = 18-21 oz
    200-225lbs body weight = 19-26 oz
    Over 250lbs body weight = 23-28 oz

So yes, they are heavy, BUT are they really?

Note - The Darien UL at 13.4oz & 14.5oz is actually the lightest complete hammock available, but was removed from the above comparison.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 02-20-2013 at 15:24.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I agree. I will gladly carry a little extra weight in my hammock to have the comfort that the tablecloth hammock affords. I probably wouldn't carry my DL on a long hike, but my SL is definitely worth the weight. Of course, those who are super UL hikers want to carry 1.1 or lighter hammocks and they are never probably going to be convinced that a tablecloth hammock is worth the weight. I guess each person has to balance what they have in their packs with what they feel is desired or needed. While I want a reasonably comfortable pack weight, I also want to be comfortable once I get to camp. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I would be much more comfortable in my tablecloth hammock at the end of a long hike than in a ripstop hammock. That is just my personal preference. I agree, looking at the weights makes it clear that they are not "that heavy" when compared to other setups. Thanks for sharing the chart and your thoughts. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That hammock looks great! I would take that extra 'weight' any day on the trail!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    my table cloth is the smaller of all the sizes... 132x56 if i recall... its weight is 536 grams or 19 oz or so... that is with a ridgeline, ridgeline organizer, and UCRs, paracord whipped ends... so not the lightest option around... but my most comfortable option currently until my WWM gets purchased... and at the end of the day i will take comfort to sleep and the extra ounces on the trail... until i can get the best of both those...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I agree, looking at the weights makes it clear that they are not "that heavy" when compared to other setups.
    Yes, my point exactly.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 02-20-2013 at 17:10.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice looking set up Papa Smurf.

Very nice set-up Papa Smurf, at 23.5oz I would say it's middle of the road, definitely not the heaviest that's out there. Also given the higher weight limit that it can support it is much more viable and useable for many. But depending on whom it would be supporting may make the determination as to is it heavy or not when compared to other offerings.

But for me, no I wouldn't carry it as I can carry one of two different set-up's that I have and it weigh much less, but still be very comfortable. And with the weight savings I can carry more libation, steak, bagels, snacks or whatever.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    A nice light weight pack is, well, nice. But a comfortable sleep at the end of the day is more important, so adding a few extra oz isn't that big of a deal.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly &amp; Edge
    Images
    Weight difference may be negligible, but what about packed volume? Everything we're picking up will hopefully be put to use for bikepacking, where the various bags have space limitations. We're finding that's a bigger constraint than weight.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalJanitor View Post
    Weight difference may be negligible, but what about packed volume? Everything we're picking up will hopefully be put to use for bikepacking, where the various bags have space limitations. We're finding that's a bigger constraint than weight.
    This is very true. I like to hang inside my DL DB 72, but backing it up is not so fun.

Anyway SL RG 60 with 6 zipper sliders made from Crinkle taffete could be my next hammock. Or some 1.6 oz fabric ...I have to think, think, think... argh! My head hurts!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast