Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Weekend Cubscout trip. Bunkbeds

I just got back from a local trip to the Belk Scout camp here in NC. It was a cold and raining start and ended with warm and sunny. On Friday it had been raining all day and didn't stop until Sat at 2. The temp was just under 40 most of Friday and never over 45 an Sat.

I wish I would have taken pictures, but being a Dad, Cubmaster, so-called camping expert, nice guy, setting up in the rain, having to clean up most of everything because a lot of people left... well I just either forgot or just to lazy.

Well my new kelty Noah 16' worked like a charm. I wish I could have set it up after my hammocks so I could have gaged how much room I needed. Either way it kept me dry and all my gear very well. I stacked it directly to the ground on the inside tie outs and tried to use the doors. Because I did not have it high up enough I was left with a few feet or less on each side. Again this is how we learn. The good news is I now know how I am going to rig it up with my zing it. I actually used some figure nines and tied a few good knots. So now I have an idea how I want it all to go I am set for the uwharries.

I set up my sons BMBH on bottom and my Bias Camper on top. I had him about 2-3 inches off the ground( with him in it) and I started completely clear from him. The first night he wanted me facing the same way as him ( which was not my first choice and not how I had set up). It was fine when we got in but as the rainy night went on my nylon webbing stretched enough that we were touching( also one of my MSH pulled to my doggle which was a sturdy tri tent stack). I have one set of nylon and one poly and what I should have done was use both poly for mine. The second night I fixed my MSH and switched to laying in opposite directions. Because I had it set up that way it worked out perfectly. The only time he touched me was when he lifted his feet.

I also took an old sleeping back and pulled some of the stitching out down near the zipper. I then put the bag around the hammock and rezipped it. I then was able to pull the bag down towards my head and I think I invented something. Almost like a... can't think of a good word, well lets just call it an underquilt or maybe you could say I was all wrapped up like a pea pod. this worked almost perfectly. I didnt leave it pulled all the way up. It mainly covered me from the under arms area down. I then also had a mummy bag that my feet were in pulled up to my face. The only whole I had was my back. I took my army CFP and slide it down to cover my back. from there everything worked like a charm. the only adjusting I did all night was whether I had my face covered.

The last thing I did was to tie out the head end of my sons BMBH. he can flip flop a bunch and I didn't want him to tip. He was only a few inches off the ground I wasn't worried about him getting hurt, just getting all his stuff wet and or muddy. This worked very well. Just wondering if anyone else does that for there bridges.

Sounds like it was a great trip, shame you weren't able to take some pics. Thanks for sharing!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Good write-up Miyanc.. sounds like a good (but wet) weekend.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I kick myself everytime I don't because I would like to not only document these things for my son but also to learn from. I even have a waterproof camera that I got for those very reasons.

It was a great trip. The boys all had so much fun even tho they were wet and cold they did not complain. I can't explain the feeling of pride I get at the end of the day laying in my hammock. If only for that moment and only for those reason I feel accomplished( except for my pictures...)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very nice! I'm a den leader for my son's Tiger den. Great times. Being outdoors is one of the best ways to spend time with the kids in so many ways.

Are you saying you did a bridge version of the pea-pod?
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

If so, you should definitely recreate it in the backyard and post some pics!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Very nice! I'm a den leader for my son's Tiger den. Great times. Being outdoors is one of the best ways to spend time with the kids in so many ways.

Are you saying you did a bridge version of the pea-pod?
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

If so, you should definitely recreate it in the backyard and post some pics!
    I was pretending like I made some creative new item that nobody else could ever think of. I wish I had a tree let alone 2 trees to hang from in my yard. If I would have only envisioned my love for hanging several years ago I might have trees growing. I have a swing set and a fence. Both of which I am not sure would still be standing by morning. I may be working on it soon.

and I will be trying to set it up to take picks. It was crude but effective.

• + New Posts