Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    4S cuben
    Insulation
    down
    Another loop hike near Neel Gap is the Coosa Backcountry Trail (13 mi) which starts/ends in Vogel State Park. You can also extend the loop by hiking over to Blood Mountain to catch the view. You need register at the Park office, but it's free.

Also, if you want a nice full day hike, check out Unicoi State Park nearby. The Smith Trail (5 mi ?) takes you to Anna Ruby Falls - you can hike the trail back or walk the road.

You can check out the parks' websites for more info.

If you want to venture into NC, kk4df suggested the Standing Indian loop - that's a great one.

Another option across the border in NC is the 29 mi section on the AT from Winding Stair Gap to the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Two observation towers and a big bald for great views, and you end your trip at a restaurant on the river.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad & UQ
    Suspension
    JRB nylon straps
    There are some great hammock spots on top of the mountain. After passing the stone shelter there is a stone ledge on the left side of the "trail" which is about 6 feet tall. It's a great wind break and you can hang in the middle of the trees. There is a privy own top also. Water can be found on the south side of the mountain before the climb up, and at the bottom on the north side.

Quote Originally Posted by TRDT View Post
    There are some great hammock spots on top of the mountain. After passing the stone shelter there is a stone ledge on the left side of the "trail" which is about 6 feet tall. It's a great wind break and you can hang in the middle of the trees. There is a privy own top also. Water can be found on the south side of the mountain before the climb up, and at the bottom on the north side.
    Sweet thanks! I was looking forward to spending my first night at the top of Blood Mountain.

Will update everyone once I have decided on a route for input.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Don't forget to check the Bear canister requirement on Blood Mountain. Last year there was a big fine for not having the proper factory made canister. Have a great trip.
    JEFF

Quote Originally Posted by BIG JEFF View Post
    Don't forget to check the Bear canister requirement on Blood Mountain. Last year there was a big fine for not having the proper factory made canister. Have a great trip.
    JEFF
    What?!?!?! I can't just put my food in a tree?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Re: Georgia AT trip planning help

Blood Mountain gets lot of press but personally its not my favorite place... it certainly is not the best view in Georgia and is not a great place to camp. Besides, you would need a bear canister there. If you're dead set on seeing blood mountain, then you might consider the stretch between Hogpen gap and Woody gap which has 2 other views that I believe are better, with Blood smack in the middle of the hike.

I believe you probably have enough time on Thursday to get shuttled to hog pen and then stay at Whitley Gap shelter, 1.2m from the road with a great view from Wildcat Mountain along the way. Friday you could hike about 7m to the Bull gap site a mile short of Neels gap, enjoying the 2nd best view at Cowrock. Saturday you could hike about 8m to Dan gap campsite beside a small stream. You would pass over Blood and the extra mileage gets you past Jarrard gap and the bear cannister area. Final day would be a short 4m to Woody gap and by the best view in Ga, Big Cedar.

Of course you can do it the other direction if you like. PM me if you need more details.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Check out my site. Look under the Trail Reports section. It might give you some ideas.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

UPDATE: So I have decided on a route...need some feedback from you guys.

I'm going to drive up to Lake Winfield Scott In the morning and spend the night at the rec area. The next morning, I will have 1 car in that lot and leave another car in the lot at Unicoi Gap. The Jarrard Gap trail should be about 1 mile to the actual AT. Based on what I have seen, the bear canister area is Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap. My first night will be spent somewhere past Neels Gap. The total path, Jarrard to Unicoi is about 25-26 miles. That will leave me at about 9 miles a day, which is a little more than I wanted but it is doable.

What do you think about this route? Is it feasible? Is there a lot of water along the way that I can filter and fill up my CamelBak with? Also, from what I've seen I can set up camp anywhere because this is a National Forest, I am not limited to designated sites. Is this correct?

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad & UQ
    Suspension
    JRB nylon straps
    Water should not be a problem right now in that area due to all the rain and snow showers weve had. Any of the water sources listed in the AT Guide will most likely be good. When you hit neels gap swing in the store and ask the guys there. They will have the best info.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Re: Georgia AT trip planning help

Just keep in mind that bears will bring down poorly hung bear bags anywhere. Some camp neighbors between Neels and Tesnatee gaps lost half their food to a bear on my last trip in that trail section.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast