Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ss + Kaq

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Ss + Kaq

I guess it should be no surprise that a Kick-***-Quilt fits like a glove inside a Hennessy SuperShelter, under the OCF pad.

I slacked everything off so there would be no compression. First I tried the KAQ without the OCF pad. It fits like it was made in China for Tom H. himself! Then I added the OCF pad on top of the KAQ. The OCF pad tends to hold the KAQ in place, so it stays where you put it after adjustment. Still fits like a charm. It doesn't make any difference whether you use the tie-outs. It all fits well either way.

Now I'm off to get an inexpensive SB to put on top of the OCF pad. Then, I bet this combination will work in temps that I have no desire to see!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I guess it should be no surprise that a Kick-***-Quilt fits like a glove inside a Hennessy SuperShelter, under the OCF pad.

I slacked everything off so there would be no compression. First I tried the KAQ without the OCF pad. It fits like it was made in China for Tom H. himself! Then I added the OCF pad on top of the KAQ. The OCF pad tends to hold the KAQ in place, so it stays where you put it after adjustment. Still fits like a charm. It doesn't make any difference whether you use the tie-outs. It all fits well either way.

Now I'm off to get an inexpensive SB to put on top of the OCF pad. Then, I bet this combination will work in temps that I have no desire to see!

- MacEntyre
    I bet you are right! That is a cool combo- where did you get the KAQ?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I wouldn't put the KAQ inside the SS unless you have a VB between your body and the KAQ. Otherwise, the sil will cause the KAQ to soak up your moisture. But the space blanket should do the trick nicely. I bet that setup would be good to 5-15F for most folks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

- MacEntyre
    Mac,

How about a loft measurement on that KAQ.... some were single layer and all are probably aat least 2-3 year old by now.

Also how did you measure determine that the KAQ loft was full? How did you also determine/ measure it with the OCF pad in use.

Bottom line is the HHSS fits close to the HH... That is why it comes with the thin OCF pad which is held in place by the surface tension when the hammock is loaded....To test this put it on and attempt to move the pad with the HH occupied.... No can do, many have ripped the edge binding trying....I know there is not room for a 2.5 inch down quilt to fully loft, so also having torn an OCF in experimentation as just mentioned, I strongly suspect you are not getting full loft.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Grizzly Adams sold me one of his KAQs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJeff
    I wouldn't put the KAQ inside the SS unless you have a VB between your body and the KAQ. Otherwise, the sil will cause the KAQ to soak up your moisture.
    I understand. That's why I tried it both inside and outside of the UC. This weekend, I did not use a SB, and rigged the KAQ outside the UC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pan
    I strongly suspect you are not getting full loft.
    You may be correct. I did not measure anything, and I don't know how it was constructed, but the KAQ has a couple of inches of loft at the most.

With all due respect, sir, when you slack off the UC suspension and tighten the OCF pad suspension, there is more room in the UC than you describe. The OCF pad is held in place primarily by its own suspension, not the slacked-off UC. I was able to move the KAQ easily under the OCF pad, which suggests that it was not overly compressed.

I prefer rigging the KAQ outside the UC. Hammock, OCF pad, and UC stows into the ridgeline stuff sack all together, and is the most common setup. I'll add the KAQ when it gets below 20 degF.

PS - I wonder if all UCs are not made exactly the same. I've seen pictures of UCs that seemed to cover much more of the bugnet than mine. Perhaps the variation in UCs explains why mine is not as tight as yours was. (Or maybe Tom H. changed it after hearing of torn OCF pads.)
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-26-2009 at 17:49.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hey Mac and all,

I tried something new last night. It was down to -6*F (-15*F if you include the windchill) and snowing all night long. This time, I used my custom "stuffable" Super Shelter and a PeaPod with my HH ULBP Asym.
    (See earlier review here of my custom SS: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6555 )

Since I have the #2 Bugnet zipper mod, I can use a Peapod with my HH. So, I have my custom "stuffable" undercover on the outside, then the PeaPod underneath and around, then my custom "stuffable" overcover. The "stuffed" undercover does offer some sag, which allows room for the PeaPod in between to maintain loft. I did add rope to the undercover to keep it from sagging too much and to snug underneath me. I was enclosed completely inside my OES tarp/tent. I wore my long underwear, wool socks, wool sweater, and Cabelas goose down drawers to bed.

I was way too warm with this setup! It worked out very nice. Before, I had used my Cabelas -40*F goose down mummy bag. But the PeaPod is very warm and I stayed just as toasty. Most of the condensation was formed on the underside of the OES tarp/tent. There was only slight condensation the formed on the sides of the PeaPod where the overcover and the undercover meet along the sides and might expose the PeaPod. Only very slight condensation on the top inside of the overcover.

Overall, I was very impressed with how warm I was and what little condensation formed on the PeaPod. There was no condensation between the bottom of the PeaPod and the inside area of the undercover.

I plan on sleeping out again tonight, as it's supposed to be even colder. I will use my same setup. I didn't have time to take photos this morning, so maybe tomorrow morning I will take some to post.

Just wanted to share some thoughts with you and will post some more PeaPod + HH SS reviews soon.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I got the quilt from Blackbishop in the short run he had making them, Spring 2007. I believe he was using these directions , which means 2 layers of 3/4"-1" Polarguard 3D.

Nice quilt...but making my own hammocks and quilts these days...the DIY disease claimed another victim...so when MacEntyre was pining after one on HF, and I knew he and I would be at Mt. Rogers concurrently, I offered it to him.

A true Scot to the core, he wanted to see and test it first...probably got cheated on a horse in a past life

I was happy to see it go to a good home.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-26-2009 at 22:52.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...probably got cheated on a horse in a past life
    ...'twas this life, wagh!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    Hey Mac and all,

I tried something new last night. It was down to -6*F (-15*F if you include the windchill) and snowing all night long. This time, I used my custom "stuffable" Super Shelter and a PeaPod with my HH ULBP Asym.
    (See earlier review here of my custom SS: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6555 )

Since I have the #2 Bugnet zipper mod, I can use a Peapod with my HH. So, I have my custom "stuffable" undercover on the outside, then the PeaPod underneath and around, then my custom "stuffable" overcover. The "stuffed" undercover does offer some sag, which allows room for the PeaPod in between to maintain loft. I did add rope to the undercover to keep it from sagging too much and to snug underneath me. I was enclosed completely inside my OES tarp/tent. I wore my long underwear, wool socks, wool sweater, and Cabelas goose down drawers to bed.

I was way too warm with this setup! It worked out very nice. Before, I had used my Cabelas -40*F goose down mummy bag. But the PeaPod is very warm and I stayed just as toasty. Most of the condensation was formed on the underside of the OES tarp/tent. There was only slight condensation the formed on the sides of the PeaPod where the overcover and the undercover meet along the sides and might expose the PeaPod. Only very slight condensation on the top inside of the overcover.

Overall, I was very impressed with how warm I was and what little condensation formed on the PeaPod. There was no condensation between the bottom of the PeaPod and the inside area of the undercover.

I plan on sleeping out again tonight, as it's supposed to be even colder. I will use my same setup. I didn't have time to take photos this morning, so maybe tomorrow morning I will take some to post.

Just wanted to share some thoughts with you and will post some more PeaPod + HH SS reviews soon.
    Try this for kicks sometime: Peapod, heatsheet under hammock, a puffy jacket or 30-50 degree bag- or trash bags with leaves or space blankets inside- under the Heatsheet or SB. Then warm clothes plus a summer ( or 20-40 degree) weight bag as top quilt. I'd like to no how that works for you out in the serious cold. Maybe a short pad under your legs, either in the hammock or under the hammock in the pod- just for luxury.

I would recommend adding the SS UC for wind/snow block (if you can find a way to keep it from compressing loft), but yours is already stuffed and warm enough by itself, so you would have no need for this other aproach, which is just something for you to have fun with. So I would otherwise recommend a separate sil-nylon under shell to go along with the inner VB/heatsheet/SB.

I guess the advantage of the Exped thin pad that Kwpapke adds to his UC is causing just enough sag to allow his added insulation to puff up to full, or nearly full, loft under him.

I tell you what else would be kick *** down in that PeaPod for those with some extra cash to throw around- The MWUQ's 4" of loft! I'm sure this is fine for me to about 10*F all by itself. So, with a space blanket and another 50*F of PeaPod protection under you, wow! I don't know if it would all be exactly additive, but it seems like it out to do -30 easy. All for an extra 27 oz.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Lots of factors here

I guess the advantage of the Exped thin pad that Kwpapke adds to his UC is causing just enough sag to allow his added insulation to puff up to full, or nearly full, loft under him.
    I'm starting to think that its a combo of:
    • An airtight barrier on the bottom (with some insulation to boot) from the Multimat. The UC is not windproof.
    • The sag you speak of caused by the weight of the Multimat
    • Distribution of the pressure of the UC elastics across the entire flat surface of the pad against the down-filled bag/jacket, minimizing loss of loft. Without the mat in place the UC will have areas of very high pressure, i.e. right down the middle of the back in-line with the bottom slit/velcro. You can see this when the side elastics have little/no tension. This would lead to cold spots right in the middle of the back.
    • The OCF pad helps to keep down layers in place as Mac pointed out. The Multimat adds to this if the ripstop side is facing down towards the UC.

From what I saw in the morning when I was breaking camp, I did not get 100% of the loft from my sleeping bag and/or down jacket, but neither were they pancaked. Its not perfect.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast