This is my first trip report of any kind so hopefully I get everything detailed and explained well enough. I headed up to KY on Thursday 21 February the forecast for the past seven days had been a little on the ugly side. I was expecting cloudy days with the 40 degree highs and 30 degree lows. However all of that changed forecast wise. We were now looking at 50 degree days and sun for the entire weekend.

I met up with my brother-in-law who is a ground dweller in Lexington KY. We were going to head out on Friday the 22nd for Mammoth Cave national park however; I had one really important piece of equipment that I was still waiting to arrive at the post office. I had placed an order for a 40 degree Phoenix UQ from Hammockgear.com. These guys were nice enough to get this done in a hurry for me and ship it to my family's address to ensure I had it in time for this trip.

We arrived at the park and picked up our backcountry camping permit from the visitor center. The great thing about this park is there is camping allowed all along the 19 miles of river. You just have to state you will be camping in the flood plain area.

After find our location we set up camp below some pretty amazing rock formations. We had a perfect ledge above the river and to top it off we weren't far from a really nice hiking trail. We had low's around 30 degrees and both days got close to high 40's and low 50's.
Thanks to my new UQ and my 20 degree sleeping bag, which I used as a top quilt, I stayed warm all weekend.
Overall I had a blast and would highly recommend the park to anyone in the area. There are some pretty amazing trails here and a pretty awesome River flowing throughout the park.