Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River, Woobie
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I got my traveler sock in a few days ago and had a chance to try it. I enjoyed 2 and a half solid hours at 28* with a 30* UQ and a 40* TQ. The reason for the short period of time was two-fold, 1) CBS, I'm a newb, and couldn't get the UQ right that night. 2) Traffic, I live next to a highway. Very happy with my sock. And yes, condensation, deal with it.

My question is this, has anyone tried using a sock during the summer instead of blankets and UQ? Maybe double the door, put a no-see-um door on the outside for ventilation options. I'm thinking experimentation is in order this coming year.

God bless,
    Adam

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'd like to throw a thought in here after reading a somewhat consistent complaint about frost/condensation in the TOP of the sock, and the significant WEIGHT of a canvas sock compared to the rest of the kit. My thought is a hybrid sock with a canvas top and a Momentum50 or Nobul1 bottom.
    I like this compromise. Might even be able to get away with just a small square of it near the head end. Just enough to cover the head and upper chest region.

I noticed that Shug does pretty good with just using a frost-bib.
    Im half tempted to just fill a bag with desiccant material like Silica Gel and just hang it from the ridge line. Not sure if it would work or not.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I've just spent 2 weeks in the arctic with successive -30c nights.

I used a Cold Avenger face mask and balaclava which significantly reduced condensed breath freezing on my insulation and warmed the incoming air.

My Pertex 4 hammock also had full length Velcro closure which left a gap for my breath to exit.
    Every morning, the ice would brush off the hammock and insulation with no little build up.
    A vapour barrier kept insensible perspiration from slowly icing the Pertex 4 shelled down underquilts.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock socks

Good info to know on you arctic experience. Especially the face mask. I've heard that they are effective at warming your breath, but didn't know of the condensation benefit.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    If it gets cold enough, I prefer my wood burner over a hammock sock. So much better all the way around.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    If it gets cold enough, I prefer my wood burner over a hammock sock. So much better all the way around.

Now that is one nice set-up

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'desiccant material like Silica Gel'
    Def. works and in several applications...great in the boots to suck up moisture over night, great in the footbox for those with hot sweaty feet at night, great in the sock to absorb general moisture. You can also re-use silica gel over and over.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    I love the idea of a wood burner stove, but I've never had enough success with wood to make me rely on it as anything more than entertainment. I have experimented a few times with my homemade J Faulk wood stove for cooking without much success. I must be in the minority though, because there are a lot of people who seem to have success with preparing food on that type of stove, or the Element (or similar design). How has your experience been, fallkniven? What types of temperatures have you used this in and what has the temperature been inside your tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    'desiccant material like Silica Gel'
    Def. works and in several applications...great in the boots to suck up moisture over night, great in the footbox for those with hot sweaty feet at night, great in the sock to absorb general moisture. You can also re-use silica gel over and over.
    Does silica gel have a temperature limit? Cotton or fleece can be absorbent, but not so much in the cold. If it did work, where would you buy it? I would imagine that a combination seat cushion/breath catcher would be extremely useful!
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'd like to throw a thought in here after reading a somewhat consistent complaint about frost/condensation in the TOP of the sock, and the significant WEIGHT of a canvas sock compared to the rest of the kit. My thought is a hybrid sock with a canvas top and a Momentum50 or Nobul1 bottom.
    Now thats an excellent idea. My wally world has 4 oz canvas in the $1.50 bin - think I'll grab some and make a hybrid ( if it's ok with you MADD - your idea) to test out before the warmer weather comes. The 4 oz stuff wouldn't make it a terribly heavy package - 2.5 yds should cover the top nicely! And a zipper for the door!

New project!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

WOW! Just ................WOW!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast