HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post

The penalty for this stuff is weight - it's probably about the same as a canvas sock - not an UL.

I will rig this thing in the shop if I have to just to get some pics, and will report back . . .

-Klauss
    What is the total weight of your sock?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing some pics of it as well.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Hammock socks

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    New project!
    Run with it Lost_Biker! The 4oz. Canvas with Momentum 50 is what I had in mind. I think the weight could come in around 22 oz. total with a #3 vertical zipper on one side!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Run with it Lost_Biker! The 4oz. Canvas with Momentum 50 is what I had in mind. I think the weight could come in around 22 oz. total with a #3 vertical zipper on one side!
    Thanks MADD- just wanted to be sure. I'm going to use 1.1 dwr ripstop for the bottom - more as a wind block. I'll be using the upside down frown on the #3 zipper. I'm surprised no one has thought of this before - should work out quite well from the breathable stand point.

Pics will be posted asap.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Deer View Post

Does silica gel have a temperature limit? Cotton or fleece can be absorbent, but not so much in the cold. If it did work, where would you buy it? I would imagine that a combination seat cushion/breath catcher would be extremely useful!
    People use it to dry flowers out. Its a arts and crafts material, kindof. Its also used in just about anything that needs moisture absorption. Like alot products you buy that need to stay dry, will have a small packet of it somewhere in the product. Bought a coat and it had one in the pocket. I was able to find by the pound on amazon. I'm sure you can buy it in larger bulk if you look around abit.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    I got my traveler sock in a few days ago and had a chance to try it. I enjoyed 2 and a half solid hours at 28* with a 30* UQ and a 40* TQ. The reason for the short period of time was two-fold, 1) CBS, I'm a newb, and couldn't get the UQ right that night. 2) Traffic, I live next to a highway. Very happy with my sock. And yes, condensation, deal with it.

My question is this, has anyone tried using a sock during the summer instead of blankets and UQ? Maybe double the door, put a no-see-um door on the outside for ventilation options. I'm thinking experimentation is in order this coming year.

God bless,
    Adam
    My guess is that you'd end up with a clammy cold back with a sock in the summer. My summer kit (lows above 55) usually just consists of a 6 oz JRB pad and a 13 oz BPL TQ. In temps that warm, I actually like having the cooler air circulating around my head. A TQ is easy to remove and micro adjust, whereas a sock has much fewer options to adjust.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    I've used my new Wilderness Logics sock 4 nights in the jungley back yard in San Francisco. Blowing fog and persistent drizzle, ranging from 45-51F.

The Old Man Winter was pitched to leave the UQ horizontally exposed to the fog and the sock did its job by taking the moisture out of the air that passed through. In the same conditions I normally have a light dew on both my quilts but with the sock they were bone dry. Probably 10-15F warmer inside the sock, too (tho I didn't measure on the maiden run).

(sigh) So now I have to think about picking up a set of Summer Series quilts because the 20F set is looking unnecessary for (my) 3s use. Plus they are a pound heavier than summer quilts would be. I don't think I'll need-want to drag around a full-length UQ with the sock on, either. The WLSSUQ itself is half the weight, which makes up for the weight of the sock, the summer TQ will save me another 1/4 pound, AND I have protection from the wind, which means I can probably take a lighter tarp without penalty.

It's pretty light material, 9.65oz in total, and most of the moisture shook right out with 3 shakes.

So far I've had 8 knot gusts, just enough that without the sock I would have noticeably lost heat from the UQ. I tossed the empty zPacks Zero backpack and a fleece sweater into the bottom of the sock and there was no movement of the sock by the wind - well, at least not enough to disturb my sleep in any way.

All in all, this was a great pickup at $90 and could even be done cheaper by some DIYer with more time and talent than money. But as always the WL quality can't be surpassed.
    Last edited by steveflinn; 03-01-2013 at 18:24.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Updated sock report:

As promised, here's some fresh info on my mystery-material sock. I set up in the back yard last night to test this thing out, since they were predicting 27° and light snow showers. I don't own two hammock trees so I had to set up between the pool deck and a small outbilding attached to the back of my shop . . . oh well.

My little thermometer showed 38° when I crawled in around 11:15pm. Winds were low but steady, so the sock did a wonderfull job of eliminating breezes which would have been blowing across my face and robbing heat.

I took this opportuity to try my new 3/4" CCF pad instead of my IX-UQ, to see how it compares. The pad really stays in place well in my dbl-layer hammock, and was very comfortable with a small pillow under my head. Nice instant warmth, and I fell asleep quickly.
    I woke up around 4:30 to water the grass, and checked the thermometer before I opened the sock: 44° inside. I climbed out and was amazed at the difference - COLD & WINDY! Outside temp was 31° which was also the low for the night. That's a 13° difference from the sock, plus the added comfort of no wind. Very nice to crawl back into!

Here are pics I took this am beforeI packed up:

How it was set overnight -DIY tarp pitched high to test the sock's wind-blocking ability.

Testing out tarp-mode with my DIY hiking sticks.

The sock.

End attachment.

Stretchy material makes it easy to get in & out.

My 3/4" CCF pad shown sitting on top
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great pictures! Your sock appears to be some sort of spandex type stuff. Any idea how much it weighs? Also, how long it would take to dry out if it got wet?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Great pictures! Your sock appears to be some sort of spandex type stuff. Any idea how much it weighs? Also, how long it would take to dry out if it got wet?
    I believe it's UnderArmor material - I have a huge roll of it. Here's an earlier post about the material https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=64226

Weight? It's heavy, comparable to canvas. I know from earlier water tests that it dries very quickly.

Forgot to mention in my followup report that I had NO condensation last night either, same as the previous two test nights. Seems this stuff would solve the condensation problems everyone has with socks, while remaining completely closed up - no venting required. Just have to pay the weight penalty. Plus the fact that it stretches makes it easy for entry & exit and stays taught without a ridgeline.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Outstanding!

Outstanding review of your sock. Wow! what a difference in the temps. 13°F is fantastic.

I'm interested in the weight as well. Did you get any condensation?

You answered my question while I was typing out the question. There have been many nights where condensation was not a problem at all. Then, bam! Not being up on weather jargon, the dew, or humility, large dinner turned my Hennessy Bug Net into a sponge.

Have you ever had a problem with condensation in a tent? Another sock?
    Last edited by OneThing; 03-02-2013 at 14:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast