Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

There will be swimming - Mullica River 4/30/16

Another great trip. We got our logistics worked out Saturday and dropped in near Atsion (Krust & fallkniven in one canoe, Ratdog & mrcheviot in another, nredneck solo, and me and silentorpheus in my canoe. It was a pleasant paddle to Mullica River camp (though I somehow pulled a rib that was very painful).

Njredneck prepared pulled pork and we had salsa verde or barbecue sauce on the sandwiches, along with salad and cole slaw. Every morsel of food disappeared. Later, fallkniven prepared apples with cinnamon with butter, expertly cooked by The Tree Frog. Finally, we had a midnight snack of brats.

It started raining around midnight and everyone went to bed. By morning it was raining steadily. Njredneck cooked up 3 lbs. of bacon, some brats, 36 eggs and we had tortillas with cheese and salsa verde. Quite a nice way to start the day.

Effensmurfy, The Tree Frog, his son Zach and his friend sherpa'd the gear out, as they did in. Much appreciated! Around 11 we started the final leg of our canoe trip, Mullica River Camp to Pleasant Mills. Njredneck decided to go swimming before we even left camp, then five minutes further down the river we heard a lot of cursing and found Ratdog had capsized and wasn't looking too happy. We fished him and his gear out of the river. Luckily he had a spare paddle because he lost one in the drink (which he later found).

Silentorpheus and I were very nervous paddling the rest of the way, for fear we were going swimming too. Luckily, we avoided capsizing, though it rained enough that we were pretty wet anyway.

Thanks for all who came out. Another great time!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The lower Mullica actually had more blowdowns and underwater obstacles than the upper Mullica. I don't think I want to paddle that river again when water levels are so low. It was very unnerving trying to watch for underwater obstacles, then hitting one, and praying you weren't gonna capsize.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Thanks for rescuing the trail mix.

-rd
    HF Swim Team Member since 2016

It was a good group.

The Upper Mullica is not maintained, the little bit that has been cleared is good enough for a single boat to pass thru and it would not take much effort to significantly improve that situation. I would much prefer kayaking that section as opposed to paddling. With multiple canoe liveries using the river, I just don't understand why someone hasn't spent an afternoon with a bow saw or chainsaw and cleared some hazards. I spent 20 years maintaing a portion of the North Rancocas Creek and it was just one or two afternoons a year.

The fire was excellent after y'all crashed. Had to move back a couple times because it was so hot.

Food was excellent as usual and MANY THANKS to the Sherpa Team. Really appreciated the work and I know exactly how much work it really is.

mrcheviot was an ace in the bow and I missed him on day 2.

I tried a new setup, canoe seat with backrest. First blowdown 5 minutes out of camp I go to lean back to get under and NOPE not gonna happen but by then it was too late. You know that moment between something happening and you knowing it's going to happen no matter what? I was cursing that chair something fierce in that moment.

Then to find I'm in a hole, no bottom, this in is a river that is a couple feet deep most of the way, paddle floating downstream, all my gear safe and dry in dry bags but the canoe pinned broadside in a strainer and the bank a muddy slippery mess. I was not amused. At least not until my good friends paddled up and laughed at me and then, well, what are you gonna do but laugh.

So swim time was over, SO helped get her out and dry and relaunch to hunt down the paddle, which wound up caught in an eddy a 100 ft downstream. Team SS and SO grabbed the trail mix which was floating UPSTREAM in a side current eddy of all things.

The paddle was another 5 miles punctuated with drizzling rain, more blowdowns and pour overs. I developed a technique to accommodate my new seat back, drop to the bottom of the boat, sit on the hull when passing under low hanging blown down trees. If only I had thought of it before, well, you know.

Clicking off the miles, thinking the terminus was just around the next bend it and it eventually was, a couple hours later, it was time to load up, head out and hit the WaWa for some hot chocolate and then home to tear down all the gear and spread it out to dry.

Have a couple pics, no action shots sadly.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    A canoe trip sound like a lot of fun. You guys don't skimp in food do ya.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    As a proud member of the canoe trip Sherpa team, you are welcome. Thanks to the teens who carried most of the weight!

Thanks to NJRedneck for the pulled pork and doing all the cooking, Silvr Surfr for the Booskerdoo coffee and the Green Salsa Verde, as we locals call it. Ok, that was just me. Ok, it was redundant. Faulkniven, thanks for the baked apples. Had a great time. So did my son Cheeseboy ( doesn't like cheese ) and his friend, a first timer.

Went to bed at midnight. Woke up at 5 AM for the obligatory morning, should I get up to go or just lay here and hope that feeling goes away? It doesn't. I got up. But, I was happy to hear whippoorwills, an owl, carpenter frogs, and a Treefrog!!!!

Great to see everyone again. See y'all next time.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Then to find I'm in a hole, no bottom, this in is a river that is a couple feet deep most of the way, paddle floating downstream, all my gear safe and dry in dry bags but the canoe pinned broadside in a strainer and the bank a muddy slippery mess. I was not amused. At least not until my good friends paddled up and laughed at me and then, well, what are you gonna do but laugh.
    It was so funny when you went in. We heard you cursing and silentorpheus started looking behind us, like the sound was coming from back at the campsite. I knew the sound was in front of us, but silentorpheus had me confused. Why was he looking back? Then you really started cursing and he realized the sound was downriver.

It was pretty humorous seeing you submerged, and your canoe pinned up against the bank by the current. We anxiously surveyed the scene, trying to see how we could help, while simultaneously trying to figure out how to avoid the same fate. Silentorpheus left me in the canoe, straining to keep from going under the blowdown, while he got out to assist you. I'm sure it wasn't easy pulling that fully-flooded canoe out of the water, fully loaded with gear.

Njredneck went in the drink too, in a scene eerily reminiscent of effensmurfy's submersion in the Wading River. He got in his canoe, it started tipping, and he leapt out of the boat into the water. He fell out of the canoe and no water got in the canoe! Within five seconds, he was back in the canoe and paddling down river as if nothing happened. Priceless.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry I missed all that, I thought you guys were pros

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    And Fallnkniven and Krust are hardcore - they hiked in and camped the day before, came hiking out when I pulled up and then paddled back to the same campsite

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Sorry I missed all that, I thought you guys were pros
    We will be pros. Silentorpheus was talking to me about strapping down all gear so it wasn't lost downstream. You live and learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    Wow I am now very happy with my decision to hoof it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast