Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Preferred tarp door tieback?

I have read a bunch of reviews of Zpacks cuben tarp with doors and Hammock Gear cuben tarp with doors, and it seems to be a dead heat in terms of user preference, build quality etc...

My question is specifically about the method of securing the door flaps when not in use. It appears that Hammock Gear users clip the flaps to each other, somehow, either on the outside or the inside. Zpacks has loops on top of the tarp to clip the flaps to. Is that right? (The zpacks one was a little unclear). If so, what are the advantages or disadvantages of each. In a market where they are so close in terms of preferences, these little distinctions might make a difference. Thoughts?

Images
    Each door, regardless of maker, will need some cord (preferably shock cord) to tie out/close, the doors. Which makes it easy to simply clip the doors together to hold them back. Some clip them together on the outside of the tarp, others prefer the inside, so if the weather comes in, they can easily close the doors without leaving the tarp.

Images
    I use shock cord for the door tie outs and they are cut to the perfect length for tie backs when not deployed. No left over cordage dangling down. They are sbiner'd together. I have some pics somewhere...

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I clip mine together on the inside of my tarp (older model Z-packs tarp, which required seam sealing).
    I tried using the mitten hook at the ridgeline, but it seemed to keep the tarp leaking in that area. I figure it was the constant play on the piece of material the mitten hook was sewn to. When I stopped using the mitten hook and resealed the area, the leak stopped. I also like clipping them to the inside because it keeps them from flapping in wind and the tarp just looks cleaner that way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Office Max sells these tiny little plastic clips that look like the old style clothes pins. I've seem some folks use those to roll the doors and pin them back.

I use a bit of shock cord or my side pull line. I don't run any line on my doors at all, I uses the extra corner tie outs to fix my doors. It's kind of an unusual idea but it's less mess and it works really well.

David

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    From what I can see on the websites of both tarps, they are held back by connecting the corners to each other with the stake lines? Neither has clips, tie outs or anything else, but you could add them yourself if you wanted. For me, this works fine and there is no need for clips, etc. Less weight and complications.

• + New Posts