Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

What a good time we had!

Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post

Lessons Learned From The Winter Hang (names omitted to protect the guilty…and also so as not to embarrass the smart, generous, and kind.
    ):
    umm, yeah...what he said

Why is it that when some people hear the phrase “Wild Animal,” they have an irresistible urge to immediately go up to the animal and try and pet them?
    Those short ponies really wanted some food man! I know at least one of them has some decent reach on that hind kick. And my wife grew up with horses. Sigh, that might have been a "here's you sign" moment if I had been 6 inches closer...

Bright and reflective guy lines help prevent falls/injuries.
    Yep! I tore out one of ours when I tripped on it. Oh well, back to the sewing machine!

No matter how expensive the boot, the sole will still burn if placed too close to the fire.
    Or if the fire gradually moves closer to the Boot/Shoe. LOL.

Never under estimate the slowest person in your hiking group….as may they be carrying all of the stuff that fell out of your pack as you sailed along the way. .
    THANK YOU a million times WalksInDark. If I have not mentioned before YOU ARE THE MAN. Not only did you have a monster load of your own but you picked up my crap as I dropped it down the trail in the snow and ice. I owe ya brother! In the mean time I need to get a second backpack! LOL.

Anyone who still thinks that there is a “Weaker Sex” obviously did not go to the Winter Hang.
    Thorwren and Happycamper were awesome! There was another lady there but I did not catch her name. I think she was with the group that JustJeff knows. Anyway, all of the ladies were real troopers. Although, funny, Jenny (thorwren) said, "why is such a big deal that a woman go on this winter campout? We are just as capable as men!" I had to explain to her that it was not the fact that she COULD do it but that she WAS doing it.

It takes “Real Men” to pull a garden cart through mud, snow, over rocks, and fording streams.
    Maybe Real CRAZY Men do! That was something I am pretty sure I WONT be doing again. LOL. Things will be a little different next year weight wise. There is a good chance I will NOT be bringing in SPLIT FIREWOOD! As nice as it was...I will just forage next time...LOL

Following footsteps in the snow can take you in directions/places you would never even begin to imagine; but not necessarily where you want to go.
    HAHA. We will have stories to tell! At least we did eventually get there. I will say that I have been on nicer night hikes though! LOL.

I was telling FishinFinn that on the way out to the parking area we were pretty sad that it was all over so fast. Jenny even got a little "misty eyed". We will be around for more of these, trust me. I will probably have at least one kid with me on the next one too.

Adam

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Warbonnet BB

Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    We're test driving Fishinfinn's Warbonnet in our living room. I just put our 2 year old down for a nap. His last whines..... "I wanna nap in the hammooocckk." We start them early.
    LOL. The problem is that he will not nap in that thing. He will just slide back and forth in it on the slippery smooth liner like it is his personal playground

You know, UPS loses packages sometimes....I'm just sayin'.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Maybe Real CRAZY Men do! That was something I am pretty sure I WONT be doing again. LOL. Things will be a little different next year weight wise. There is a good chance I will NOT be bringing in SPLIT FIREWOOD! As nice as it was...I will just forage next time...LOL
    I'm with you there, brother! I only pulled a very short length to see how bad it was, and pushed on the uphill stretches. That was a beast, and will never be repeated.

I was telling FishinFinn that on the way out to the parking area we were pretty sad that it was all over so fast. Jenny even got a little "misty eyed". We will be around for more of these, trust me. I will probably have at least one kid with me on the next one too.
    More red-heads with strong legs and big stomachs! Next year I'm adding at least a day to the trip and getting in an extra day of hanging/hiking.

You know, UPS loses packages sometimes....I'm just sayin'.

It is a one-of-a-kind, didn't I tell you? I know I gushed over it in my post, but now I have a witness to just how comfortable the combination of design/fabric is. I wasn't exaggerating, and now stormcrow can second that assessment.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    By the way, I have pulled the wagon less distance, on ground much less rough & hilly, than you guys did, with less weight by far, & IT KICKS MY BUTT. So, you pulling it full of firewood, well, my hat is off to you!
    Yes, I was going to use it myself, ("Sounded like a good idea at the time!") and am glad you guys made use of it, but I'll stick with the sled from now on! Leaving the wagon at home next year.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    By the way, I have pulled the wagon less distance, on ground much less rough & hilly, than you guys did, with less weight by far, & IT KICKS MY BUTT. So, you pulling it full of firewood, well, my hat is off to you!
    Yes, I was going to use it myself, ("Sounded like a good idea at the time!") and am glad you guys made use of it, but I'll stick with the sled from now on! Leaving the wagon at home next year.
    You can leave it because I wont miss it. But it was nice to have THIS year. I might just have me a little sled next year though! That rig of yours was SWEET!

By they way. I have posted some of the pictures we took on photobucket. Here they are. I think I set it up so that anyone can add to them...I think.

http://gs94.photobucket.com/groups/l89/DOV99TSJDE/

Let me know if it does NOT work.

Adam

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track
    They are definitely Coyotees as we have a lot of they hanging around our property.
    Tony

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...all pulk sleds should have HF bumper stickers:

Here's my overloaded pulk sled, which capsized continually until the load was reduced.

Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-27-2009 at 20:39.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The Scot's Red Ensign flies in Virginia!

Here's the view from the top of the ridge, on the way to Rhododendron Gap.
    Very western looking terrain to me...

Ok, I think I figured out how you folks handle images... sorry for cluttering things up!
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-27-2009 at 20:43.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Got my page up. Handful of pics, a few more borrowed ones, some blurbs on coyotes and ponies, and of course how well the MWUQ worked.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

Best part was definitely meeting all the good folks. It amazes me how every year there are folks whose first night in a hammock is sub-freezing in someone else's gear...b/c HF members always bring extra gear to outfit others. (Or just to show it off, and loaning it out is a nice benefit of having it along!) Good crew of people here.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Got my page up. Handful of pics, a few more borrowed ones, some blurbs on coyotes and ponies, and of course how well the MWUQ worked.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

Best part was definitely meeting all the good folks. It amazes me how every year there are folks whose first night in a hammock is sub-freezing in someone else's gear...b/c HF members always bring extra gear to outfit others. (Or just to show it off, and loaning it out is a nice benefit of having it along!) Good crew of people here.
    Good report. I spent a lot of time talking to Erik, Nick and Annette. Well, she doesn't really talk too much, but had a good time tending the fire with her. They were all good people and I really enjoyed meeting them. I can't think of too many people I'd like to have with me in a war zone, but I'd take any of those 3 anytime! I hope Joker likes his pillow!

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast