Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

BMBH/tarps-turns out there are solutions

I have been testing the JRB MWUQ/BMBH combination recently. It is a fantastic combo, IMO, super comfortable and warm with easy set up. But my biggest problem has been not having orientation options in my back yard, combined with a north wind that was cutting me in half. The spreader bars, in any thing other than a Baker Hut set up with the JRB tarp, can be a challenge with any tarp pitch. But a Baker Hut would not help me stop the wind in my back yard, though I could probably work this out in the woods. Just keep searching until I fine a sheltered spot with two trees at cross currents to the wind.

Pan gave me a call and we talked for a while. He gave me some great ideas, which I am still going to try. Ideas having to do with using a wide "A" pitch and adding rain jackets or ground cloths or space blankets rigged in some fashion tying them to the extra loops on the JRB tarp and then staking these to the ground, or weighting rain jacket pockets with rocks. All ideas I am still excited to try in the near future. I can see it working.

But today I tried this: one of the magic Grip Clips added to the right side of the tarp about where the tarp would be rubbing the spreader bars:

It worked like a charm. And boy does that make a dif for blocking those winds coming in the end. In the last pick, you can see that the left side is in contact( no grip clip on that side) while the right side has plenty of clearance even with the ends pulled in to the mid-line for closure. Contrast is poor, but you can tell by looking at the black grip clip on the right side near the spreader bar.

So, here is one simple approach. One more reason for not using the BMBH that is now gone, problem solved. Now the tarp is not tight to the ground( my hammock stand will not allow that), but I think there will still be adequate clearance when the tarp is lowered a few more inches. At least when occupied. If needed, I just take the spreader bars out when not occupied.

Also, I pulled the hammock a bit closer to the head end than the foot end, resulting in the outer most ring being just barely covered. Which gave me a little more room on the closed foot end. It looks to me though like that ring on the head end is still adequately covered.

Later in the week I am going to try some other things, for example I am going to try it with the HH sil-Hex. Which has a 12 foot RL instead of 11, but has a hex cut instead of rectangular. I'm not sure which will cover best.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    yep, that's pretty much exactly the way I had my JRB 11'x10' over my DIY bridge at Mt. Rogers last weekend.

I didn't really need the grip-clip pull-outs, because the foot end of the hammock is only 18" wide, but I got a lot more space inside by pulling the sides out over the spreader bars.

great minds thinking alike, (or more likely, stumbling on the same solution given more or less the same initial conditions...)

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yep, that's pretty much exactly the way I had my JRB 11'x10' over my DIY bridge at Mt. Rogers last weekend.

I didn't really need the grip-clip pull-outs, because the foot end of the hammock is only 18" wide, but I got a lot more space inside by pulling the sides out over the spreader bars.

great minds thinking alike, (or more likely, stumbling on the same solution given more or less the same initial conditions...)

Grizz
    See, if I could have just come to Mt.Rogers, I wouldn't have had to strain my brain figuring this out for myself. Actually, I'm thinking of adding some more Grip Clips just to increase room, at least on the chosen entry side of the hammock. So it won't be so hard not to brush the condensation covered tarp. Of course, I've only got two hiking poles, so I will need some additional trees handy.

Grip clips are neat thingies. So, how did your hang go? Were the Jacks there in BMBHs and MWUQs? Were there any other BH users other than you and the Jacks?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-28-2009 at 17:21.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

my monster tarp

I have been using a 13 foot ridge line x 14 foot wide Mac Cat tarp. Recently I added Omni Tape so I could put on doors for winter use, as well as pull-out tabs. This is the only way I could figure out to really get coverage for my bridges. Recently I ordered a SWTarp to use with my BB, but for a bridge, I don't know how else to get the coverage needed for blowing rain and snow.
    Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    See, if I could have just come to Mt.Rogers, I wouldn't have had to strain my brain figuring this out for myself. Actually, I'm thinking of adding some more Grip Clips just to increase room, at least on the chosen entry side of the hammock. So it won't be so hard not to brush the condensation covered tarp. Of course, I've only got to hiking poles, so I will need some additional trees handy.

Grip clips are neat thingies. So, how did your hang go? Were the Jacks there in BMBHs and MWUQs? Were there any other BH users other than you and the Jacks?
    BB58,

Yup, the Jacks were there.....

Pan used the BMBH, 11x10 in a modified Baker lean to (extra 15 inches of front beak than standard), Mt Washingto UQ and Old Rag Mtn TQ... Warm and toasty.... Second night I added a prototype end cap on the NE side....11* and still warm and toasty.

Smee used a BMBH in the JRB hammock Hut... Just barely fits.... he also used a Mt washington UQ an he used the Rocky Mtn Sniveller as a TQ.... also warm and toasty.

Skippy was in a BMBH... Not sure of other BMBHs

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    BB58,

I used my BMBH with the MWUQ for the first time at temps in the teens and was very pleased. The only thing that got cold was my face, but the full face toboggan took care of that problem. I actually started sweating on my back because I had on one to many shirts.
    I am well pleased with the comfort and ease of the hammock setup and getting in and out of the hammock couldn't be easier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    BB58,

I used my BMBH with the MWUQ for the first time at temps in the teens and was very pleased. The only thing that got cold was my face, but the full face toboggan took care of that problem. I actually started sweating on my back because I had on one to many shirts.
    I am well pleased with the comfort and ease of the hammock setup and getting in and out of the hammock couldn't be easier.
    I have the same set up, and I agree!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Gotta love those Grip Clips!
    Trust nobody!

Images

also: shorter bars on foot end

As I was discussing possible solutions with Pan, I asked "What about shorter bars on the foot end?". ( I believe I had already seen that Griz had done just that), So while we were talking, he goes into his shop and starts machining and fabricating. Next thing I know, I get this package of different length bars for me to evaluate. So I did.

In the above pic, the original s.bar is on the left. I think I tested the one next to it, the longest one Pan sent me. It is enough to make things workable, probably even without the grip clips. And certainly would work with one of the even shorter bars.

Because you can see in this pic that, compared with the pic of the regular s.bar and and a Grip Clip on the right side only, the tarp is also clear of the bar end on the left.

With the reg. length bar, and a GC on the right, there was plenty of clearance on the right, but tarp contact on the left. In the above pic there is even more clearance on the right, Plus the bar end also has adequate clearance on the left.

Here is a pic of the original s.bar plus Grip Clip assist on the right only, for direct comparison. You can see there is much more lack of room on the left, compared to with the shorter bar:

Sorry about the poor picture contrast, but I think you can make out the difs.

There is a minimal decrease in comfort, primarily from even less ability to draw my knees up when on my side, plus feels a tad dif when on my back. Not bad at all, though. This would be a definitely acceptable trade off if weather demanded more coverage on the windward end, on those severe weather nights when you can't find trees with a correct orientation to the wind. Though really, that should be rare. I have not yet tried the even shorter bars.

But I have tried no foot end s.bar at all. And it is doable. A definite decrease in comfort, but really not all that bad. And doing that would be better than freezing if you needed to close one end all the way for whatever reason- wind, rain, cold. If you did not have Grip Clips or shorter bars or had a minimal tarp, just leaving the foot bar out when needed might save the day and make a cold windy rainy night far more bearable.

WooHoo! Comfort of the BMBH becomes even more usable, do to much less worry about the tarp in severe weather circumstances. There are still several more possible solutions to work on!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-29-2009 at 14:57.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I believe compass was in a BMBH right next door to me, and he seemed content in his settup. I don't remember what kind of tarp he had though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast