DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Another JC Penny Puffer thread

I apologize if this is a violation of terms or etiquette but it seems the TQ and UQ JC Penny Puffer threads might have run their course and... well... dangit I was really exctied about this gear and wanted to share it with those interested so here goes.

"After reading a ton of posts, tossing out an idea or two, reading a bunch more posts and spending some hard earned cash on 8 JC Penny Puffers, I made some gear with 4 puffers that I hope will keep me toasty warm.

The TQ is 2 sleeveless jackets sewn together at the waist. One is folded towards the head opening and stitched to form a footbox and the other has two sets of sleeves (4 total) sewn in as wings (one set for width) and another set to add length. It covers up to my nose (I am 5'10") and the TQ weighs 24 oz. in stuff sack.

The UQ is made from one sleeveless jacket sewn to a "frame" made from scrap material and Climashield in such a manner to allow a complete jacket to be zipped in and serve as the top layer. It allows me to use the jacket as a it was intended and also as a layer to the UQ. The UQ measures 54" x 38" and weighs 32 oz. with DIY bishop bag (2 JC Penny puffer stuff sacks sewn together). The weight might seem heavy until you consider that 14 oz. of it is a jacket that can zip out of the UQ and be used for a jacket and also it's bigger than usual UQs.

The booties are made from one set of sleeves. I trimmed 3 sections from the cuff, outlined a sole (using a boot insole), stitched an outline and attached to the angled sleeve. I finished it with stretchy cuffs and added velcro to "clamp" on to strips of a Z Rest for the walks in the wee hours.

Overall it was a lot of work and a few burned up brain cells but the outcome was worth it. Both the TQ and UQ are at least 2 layers thick and in some places up to four layers."

Your comments are appreciated and again I apologize if I have committed any infractions with respect to opening a new thread or etiquitte.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks

Another JC Penny Puffer thread

Excellent work! I've got five jackets on the way now. Looking forward to working with them. Thanks for the ideas!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Very nice job MM..I'm also in the process of making 2 uq's and 2 tq's for my wife and myself. A little slow going though.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice work, those jcp jackets sure are fun aren't they? :-)

For the uq, does the removable jacket actually zip to the rest of the quilt or do you just lay it in there?

The booties look good. Very creative with the velcro on soles.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Those booties look great. Way better than mine. I tried for a "3D" aspect...but my first go around did not come out as great as I had hoped so I just cut two sections out for the other booty and sewed it together. Going to add a drawcord channel to cinch them up around my ankles.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The UQ is made from one sleeveless jacket sewn to a "frame" made from scrap material and Climashield in such a manner to allow a complete jacket to be zipped in and serve as the top layer. It allows me to use the jacket as a it was intended and also as a layer to the UQ. The UQ measures 54" x 38" and weighs 32 oz. with DIY bishop bag (2 JC Penny puffer stuff sacks sewn together). The weight might seem heavy until you consider that 14 oz. of it is a jacket that can zip out of the UQ and be used for a jacket and also it's bigger than usual UQs.
    Absolutely brilliant.

Stuff like this is the reason why I'm merely stockpiling the jackets until I can steal all the best ideas.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boilers23 View Post
    Excellent work! I've got five jackets on the way now. Looking forward to working with them. Thanks for the ideas!
    Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Markunas View Post
    Very nice job MM..I'm also in the process of making 2 uq's and 2 tq's for my wife and myself. A little slow going though.
    Thanks, I used 4 to make a TQ, UQ and booties.

Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Nice work, those jcp jackets sure are fun aren't they? :-)

They are a ton of fun!

For the uq, does the removable jacket actually zip to the rest of the quilt or do you just lay it in there?

The booties look good. Very creative with the velcro on soles.
    Thanks. The jacket zips into and out of the base so it's a real part of the gear.

That 3am walk should be a little less cumbersome now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Those booties look great. Way better than mine. I tried for a "3D" aspect...but my first go around did not come out as great as I had hoped so I just cut two sections out for the other booty and sewed it together. Going to add a drawcord channel to cinch them up around my ankles.
    Drawcord will work well. I had some elastic material and it needed a top edge so it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Absolutely brilliant.

Stuff like this is the reason why I'm merely stockpiling the jackets until I can steal all the best ideas.
    My sentiments exactly. I took a long time peering through the "Puffer Files"

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    Mike that was an excellent job you did there! I like that second photo the best, it tells the whole story on that top quilt. Nice way you did the fit and finish and everything. I'm kind of wondering though, would you say this is something you would reserve for car camping or do you think it is backpackable?
    the meek will inherit the earth!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSur View Post
    Mike that was an excellent job you did there! I like that second photo the best, it tells the whole story on that top quilt. Nice way you did the fit and finish and everything. I'm kind of wondering though, would you say this is something you would reserve for car camping or do you think it is backpackable?
    Hey Perry!

The overall weight of the UQ is a bit hefty, however because no additional jacket is needed it takes some of the sting out of it. Also, it's a minimum of 2 layers and depending on how the sleeves of the zipped in jacket are folded it can be up to 4 layers in the middle. The TQ came in at 24 oz. and I would haul it up a hill, but some might want a one layer to trim some weight.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    I really like those booties, nice job on everything. This is what it's all about, sharing what you have figured out with others.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast