Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The KAQ design is asym. To my knowledge the others are not. Not to confuse asym with differential. Although I think an asym differential quilt might be a more advanced form of engineering than I would care to tackle.

The v-shaped cuts in the KAQ design are to accommodate the tieouts on the HH. The holes for the tieout lines are located at the vertex of the sewn up V. It helps with the KAQ desgn to tie out the sides on the HH more horizontally than if the quilt is not being used.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    this may be the wrong place to ask, but i was curious haw many yards of fabric i would need to make a diy snugfit

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The KAQ design is asym. To my knowledge the others are not. Not to confuse asym with differential. Although I think an asym differential quilt might be a more advanced form of engineering than I would care to tackle.

The v-shaped cuts in the KAQ design are to accommodate the tieouts on the HH. The holes for the tieout lines are located at the vertex of the sewn up V. It helps with the KAQ desgn to tie out the sides on the HH more horizontally than if the quilt is not being used.
    I am starting to think the KAQ is not the best choice for my speer-type hammock. I guess I didn't understand how it was made for hennesseys until now...thanks, Rev!

I think shaping the quilt like the KAQ does is a good idea, though. Would anyone care to discuss how the Warbonnet UQ works? Would something like the design that WBG uses be compatable with my speer clone?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Warbonnet UQs are, in fact, cut to be used when laying diagonally in the hammock. That way, it stays tucked up against your body, not the hammock.

I have used mine on a TrekLight Double and ENO Single, works great. There should be no reason it won't work on a Speer. It's a simple shock cord suspension; just loop around the whipping/knot at one end and loop the other end around the whipping/knot at the other end of the hammock. Done.

Only covers your torso, so you save a big chunk of weight. It keeps the core of your body warm and that seems to take care of the legs just fine. I use a thin pad under my legs or have used my pack when I did not have a pad. Great system! Taken me sub-zero a number of times now.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    mine is asym, i thought the kaq were symmetric. i made mine asym because the quilt wants to sit in-line on the hammock and the user does not, and since it's a minimal sized quilt, i cut away some dimensions on the far sides, or added some on the close side, however you want to look at it. it's only slightly asym though.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The KAQ is asym which accommodates the location of the tie outs on a HH. The V notches or darts, as they are called, helps to create the bathtub shape. I made two of them and they work great. Mine has two layers of of insulation and my wife's has three layers. The shock cords around the perimeter allow for precise adjustment but it does take two people to get it right. Once it is set you simply leave it and it is ready for the next use. You can find pics of them in my gallery.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Only covers your torso, so you save a big chunk of weight. It keeps the core of your body warm and that seems to take care of the legs just fine. I use a thin pad under my legs or have used my pack when I did not have a pad. Great system! Taken me sub-zero a number of times now.
    Awesome! I have been thinking about trying a TUQ, and this gives me great confidence that it is a good endeavor...just how thick is that UQ?

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    mine is asym, i thought the kaq were symmetric. i made mine asym because the quilt wants to sit in-line on the hammock and the user does not, and since it's a minimal sized quilt, i cut away some dimensions on the far sides, or added some on the close side, however you want to look at it. it's only slightly asym though.
    Thanks for responding to this WBG...

What I was wondering is whether or not you shape the quilt to account for the occupant inside? I thought that was what the cutouts in the KAQ design were for, but now I am a bit confused, and think they are only to accomadate the HH tieouts...I figure if you shape the quilt to what the occupant will offset in the hammock, then use differential shaping, it should be the most efficiant design possible, but that is why I am asking the master!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    and think they are only to accomadate the HH tieouts...I figure if you shape the quilt to what the occupant will offset in the hammock,
    In essence, except for the left to right HH hangers which are few and far between I expect, that is the function of the v-notches on the KAQ If you look at the KAQ design carefully you will find the pattern follows the shape of the bugnet rather than the hammock (a tak oversimplified but essentially correct.) The angles of the side relative to the ends are different on each side of the hammock. It would be possible to put the KAQ on backwards so to speak. The tie out V-s would not align then.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Awesome! I have been thinking about trying a TUQ, and this gives me great confidence that it is a good endeavor...just how thick is that UQ?
    It is 4 layers of Climashield XP 2.5oz. Hard to measure the thickness, but probably around 2". It's had a hard life; most of it's days were spent cramed in the bottom of a pack. Lost some loft as a result. It has it's own rubbermaid storage container now. Still works very well for me, but to be totally honest I am a very warm sleeper. I figure I'm comfortable about 15 or so degrees colder than most folks.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a full size UQ when hiking. This concept is just too efficient to pass on. I still fight my girlfriend over the SnugFit when car camping, but as you can probably guess, I end-up in a torso length UQ when it's all said and done.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It is 4 layers of Climashield XP 2.5oz. Hard to measure the thickness, but probably around 2". It's had a hard life; most of it's days were spent cramed in the bottom of a pack. Lost some loft as a result. It has it's own rubbermaid storage container now. Still works very well for me, but to be totally honest I am a very warm sleeper. I figure I'm comfortable about 15 or so degrees colder than most folks.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a full size UQ when hiking. This concept is just too efficient to pass on. I still fight my girlfriend over the SnugFit when car camping, but as you can probably guess, I end-up in a torso length UQ when it's all said and done.
    She sounds feisty!

Wow, 2"...The stuff I have is about .6" and I have ~ 2 yards of it. I was hoping to be able to get a triple layer out of it, but I think that will depend on the design.

You mentioned that this quilt was noticably warmer than quilts with significantly more size and weight. To what do you attribute the extra efficiancy?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast