Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Differential Shaping for a KAQ

In the directions for a KAQ, the outside shell is specifically supposed to be the same as the inside shell and the insulation. I have been wondering if differential shaping would make this quilt even better...

In the KAQ directions, one sews the insulation to the shell and liner in one step: http://www.kickassquilts.com/Make4.html This step seems like the perfect place to install the pleats. Would differential shaping be a good idea with this quilt?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Are you doing this to create more of a bathtub shape or to reduce compression of the insulation? How many layers of insulation are you sewing in to the quilt?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenle01 View Post
    Are you doing this to create more of a bathtub shape or to reduce compression of the insulation? How many layers of insulation are you sewing in to the quilt?
    My thoughts are that it would reduce compression. I think the quilt will end up being ~1.2" thick.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The only compression points I found on the first kaq I made were around the edge. Mainly where the insulation is sewn into the quilt (obviously). I have a prototype made that I could fool around with if you tell me where you wanted to put the pleats. I wouldn't be able to try anything till this weekend. Hopefully Cannibal or warbonnetguy will chime in. They seem to have synthetic uq's down to a science.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenle01 View Post
    Hopefully Cannibal or warbonnetguy will chime in. They seem to have synthetic uq's down to a science.

No way man, I'm just a user. Little more than a junkie hooked on wbg's product.

I do agree with lenle01's assessment of the compression. I've made one KAQ per the directions and a couple of experimental versions trying this or that and have not had any real issues with compressing the insulation. I do cut the outer shell a wee bit larger than the inner, but I don't bother with pleats...too lazy.

Now, if you want to be able to really stuff a few layers in there, compression may become an issue. A couple of pleats can't hurt, but I don't know if they are really necessary. Try it and tell us how it works out.
    Trust nobody!

The KAQ has pleats on each side to reduce compression and help the sides snug the hammock, they work well. For a true differential cut, the synthetic Warbonnet is the way to go. That thing is the pinnacle of synthetic UQ design.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually, I think the darts on the KAQ are there to help with the asym shape of the quilt so the fabric doesn't fold at the tie-out corners. Not sure if they do anything to assist with 'ballooning' the fabric.

Totally agree about the WB synthetic torso UQ. I haven't found another synthetic option that preforms half as well at twice the weight.

I'm trying to become a down UQ guy with the release of the Yetis. They solve one of my only issues with the WBSTLUQ (take that!). The WBSTLUQ's (still crackin me up) layers are held by only loops of thread which makes the concept of 'stuffing' it impossible; no Bishop Bag for hammock and quilt. Not an issue with the Yetis, just stuff and go. I like that!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Actually, I think the darts on the KAQ are there to help with the asym shape of the quilt so the fabric doesn't fold at the tie-out corners. Not sure if they do anything to assist with 'ballooning' the fabric.

Totally agree about the WB synthetic torso UQ. I haven't found another synthetic option that preforms half as well at twice the weight.

I'm trying to become a down UQ guy with the release of the Yetis. They solve one of my only issues with the WBSTLUQ (take that!). The WBSTLUQ's (still crackin me up) layers are held by only loops of thread which makes the concept of 'stuffing' it impossible; no Bishop Bag for hammock and quilt. Not an issue with the Yetis, just stuff and go. I like that!
    The WB syn UQ has zero fiddle-factor though, you just slap the thing into place, not using a BB sack doesn't create a problem like it does with JRB quilts. I agree though, that Yeti looks like the ticket, especially considering it's weight/bulk.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    The WB syn UQ has zero fiddle-factor though, you just slap the thing into place, not using a BB sack doesn't create a problem like it does with JRB quilts. I agree though, that Yeti looks like the ticket, especially considering it's weight/bulk.
    True on the fiddle factor, but it's one more stuff sack the wind will try to steal from me. I still take my synthetic version with me on occasion; it's an amazing solution.

I can't speak to the weight of the Yetis but as far as bulk goes, the winter Yeti takes up less space than my Shenandoah quilt from the Jacks and it's a winter quilt! How can you not like that? I'm still waiting to see one of the Jacks' torso quilts in action, love the trend.

But, what makes them both great is the same thing that makes the Speers' SnugFit and the Jacks' Mt. Washington quilts preform so well IMO and that's the way they 'cup' the hammock when weighted. The KAQ does a pretty good job of that too, but the fine tuning isn't there like it is on the others mentioned and the pattern really fits best on a Hennessy. Takes a little experimenting with the shape to get them to fit as tightly on other models, like the Warbonnet stuff. Still, an awfully good quilt for the price and the talent required to make. A KAQ was my first underquilt and convinced me that they are the way to go when trying to stay warm in a hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    .... For a true differential cut, the synthetic Warbonnet is the way to go. That thing is the pinnacle of synthetic UQ design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Cool...could someone explain the differences/similarities between the Warbonnet UQ and the KAQ design? I have no doubts about the Warbonnet being awesome , so if I could include some of it's features, I would like to...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast