Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: material needed

Dyneema v. cordura

Quote Originally Posted by lenle01 View Post
    You might want to check into Dyneema. I'm not sure if this would be the right type of fabric for a hammock but I'm sure someone here will chime in if it's not. Pricey stuff/ it will hold the weight for sure. http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php
    I'm 6'5" and 350, and I just read Speer's book. The idea of using Dyneema had never occurred to me. I think Speer recommends 4 oz/yd cordura for someone my weight, but I've not had any luck finding any for sale.

Thru-hiker.com lists the Dyneema at 4 oz per square yard, so It wouldn't be any heavier, but I imagine the Dyneema would not breathe very well.

Does anyone know where I could find 4 oz cordura? $20/yard is pretty salty for Dyneema, but I bet I'd be the only kid on my block with a dyneema hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hoe-key doh-key = prepare to enter the obscure and deliberately arcane world of fabric weights.

The lightweight fabrics are usually listed in oz/yard* But the heavier fabrics are listed in "denier" weight which is the weight of the unwoven yarn per 9,000 linear meters.

So I checked around and found the following on Rockywoods Fabric. I am NOT suggesting _this_ particular fabric. but please note the paste...

70 Denier PVC coated Nylon Taffeta
    58-60" wide
    0.30mm PVC backing

This 70-Denier Nylon Taffeta is a good choice for purses, bags, cases, stuff sacks, storage covers and temporary lightweight tarps. Approximately 9.4 oz/sq yard.
    In other words a 70 denier nylon is more than suffcient to meet the 4 oz/yard* criteria. 70 denier fabric is readily available. Cordura is a weave pattern just as taffeta is a weave pattern. Cordura will be a stronger weave, but 70 denier fabric should weigh the roughly the same no matter what the weave.

In other words a very lightweight pack cloth should be sufficient.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Dyneema probably won't breath well at all for a hammock. My ULA packs are Dyneema and I just can't imagine it being a comfortable surface for a hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Hoe-key doh-key = prepare to enter the obscure and deliberately arcane world of fabric weights.

In other words a 70 denier nylon is more than sufficient to meet the 4 oz/yard* criteria. 70 denier fabric is readily available. Cordura is a weave pattern just as taffeta is a weave pattern. Cordura will be a stronger weave, but 70 denier fabric should weigh the roughly the same no matter what the weave.
    Does that mean you think that the 70 denier 1.9oz ripstop that Speer sells on his site would be adequate for a 350 pound person?

He says it's rated to 250 pounds. Maybe that's just on the conservative side for liability reasons.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know enough about fabrics to be able to say. If Ed Speers recommends 250 as the top end ofr the ripstop then I would go by that unless You are using two layers. Then you might be able to get by. It seems I was hasty in my previous post. 70 denier seems to be a rigpstop standard. The cordura weave might make a difference. I would probably go with a 200 denier for a single layer hammock at least to start with. Even so... a 200 denier is fairly easy to find and would be what I would call a light pack cloth.

Ripstop has more stretch factor than cordura or taffeta if I understand correctly. So I would probably not look for a ripstop at that weight load. The HAAB hammocks rated at 400 seem to be using a "parachute silk nylon" which is not ripstop but taffeta.

All of this begs the question of why build it yourslef when the eno and other HAAB (Hook and attached bag) hammocks are reasonably cheap and pretty much ready to go at those weights.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Aye, unless you really want to DIY, I'd recommend the ENO Doublenest.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    thanks everyone! You answered a lot of my questions. I was thinking about buying a Trek Light to try it out and when I am comfortable, I will try to make my own. Again thankyou all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Trek Light is a good hammock. My girlfriend and I slept double in one for a while, never had any problems.
    Trust nobody!

Im at 350+ and am using a 70 denier nylon. more concern id the stiching seaming and suspension. HH safari uses a 210D oxford nylon and is rated at 350#
    if fabric weignt is of little concern try Ebay Item number: 370140226954 and also look at Item number: 370112408286 for a readymade <20.00
    ---------------------------------------------
    For cinch buckles and more
    Paragear has all the webbing and buckles you'll need and will sew it for you.

<http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=243&parent=34&level=2>

------------ --------- ----

DJ Associates has the same products at somewhat better prices but do not sew for you.

Fort Smith, AR 72903 (479) 452-3987
    <dj-associates. com>

<http://djassociates.thomasnet.com/viewitems/military-hardware/adjusters?&forward=1>

Paragear and DJ Associates have gear for parachute and cargo use so most have the weight raitings you'll need

Images
    you want to look at the weight/yd of the fabric, not the denier necessarily. you also have to be careful though, because some fabrics are much heavier because of a heavy coating, like pvc coated 70d. it might weigh 4 oz, but won't be nearly as strong as something like packcloth i don't think.

1.1 is usually 30 or 40d, 1.9 is 70d, but i've got some 70d that's only 1.7. i think the haab hammock fabric is between 2.5-3 oz, while uncoated packcloth is around 4.

you want something slick/slippery for a hammock, cordura and supplex are not so i wouldn't use them. packcloth might be slick enough. 2 layers of 1.9 would be heavier/stronger than the haab fabric, 2 layers of 1.5 would probably be close if not still a little heavier/stronger.

i wouldn't go with anything with a coating unless it's for winter. and i think the dyneema fabric is only dyneema grid, the main part of the fabric is still nylon, but it's no doubt alot stronger due to the dyneema reinforcement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12