Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings

Most Compact Go to Ground Insulation?

Hi,
    I'm looking for the most compact go to ground (relatively comfortably) compatible bottom insulation. The idea would be something compact enough to fly with without checking baggage and allow me to sleep above treeline or at sites without trees and have the maximum possible number of campsites available. My current thought was to use my Warbonnet Yeti and get a thermarest prolite extra-small to go under my feet/legs and also for use on the ground. The top priority here is definitely packed volume, not weight. I'm not opposed to using just a pad, or pad spe setup, or even throwing in my pack for some insulation just as long as the system is compact. I'd like the system to be good down to about 30 F (or better). So, what are your thoughts?

-Thanks!

Big Ag insulated air-core is rated to about 15* allegedly, can't verify but has great reviews, costs about 60.00 on sale. packs about Nalgene size, little bigger. If you're looking to drop a little money on it you can look at Exped's UL down or syn mats. Syn 7 seems good to around 30 from reading reviews. Downmat rated at 6R for -15*, great great reviews and packs small and is light. Best two bangs for your buck I'd say.

UL series also makes several sizes, small size could be right up your alley.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 03-03-2013 at 18:03.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I like your idea but maybe you could use a torso size neo air.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Thanks for the suggestions.

With the Exped or Big Agnes what would you do about preventing cold shoulders? It doesn't seem like the pads would be wide enough by themselves (even the large versions that are 25"-26" wide) and adding some sort of foam wing would add more volume to the setup.

What do you guys think of the air insulated type (Neo Air and Air Core) pads in a hammock? It doesn't seem like they would be nearly as effective as the traditional thermarest that has some foam in it. I'm sure the air pads work fine on the ground but in a hammock when they are compressed and contorted it seems like the wouldn't work very well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketBoy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

With the Exped or Big Agnes what would you do about preventing cold shoulders? It doesn't seem like the pads would be wide enough by themselves (even the large versions that are 25"-26" wide) and adding some sort of foam wing would add more volume to the setup.

What do you guys think of the air insulated type (Neo Air and Air Core) pads in a hammock? It doesn't seem like they would be nearly as effective as the traditional thermarest that has some foam in it. I'm sure the air pads work fine on the ground but in a hammock when they are compressed and contorted it seems like the wouldn't work very well.

Thanks!
    most pads are standard 20", they make XL's that are 25-26". Most people that use inflatables partially inflate so the pad comforms somewhat to the hammock body and your body. They generally work best with hammocks with a pad sleeve or double layer. Problem with something like the Neo-Air is the less inflated the less the R-rating (at least according to the people on WhiteBlaze) Air Core has synthetic insulation inside as do the expeds, they also make ones with down insulation inside for slightly more. Actually quite a few dedicated pad sleepers here. Gets the job done. UQ for straight comfort but versatility, pads are absolutely doable but I'd get a wide if I were you. Most pads are only 20" because something like 80% of people identify themselves as side sleepers. Saves weight.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I definitely like the versatility of pads and they have been quite comfortable when I've used them. My concern is that even in the larger sizes, ones that are 25-26" wide, they would still be too narrow and I'd end up with cold shoulders. Is 25" typically wide enough without having to add any sort of wings? I'd be thrilled if I could get by with just a single inflatable pad.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketBoy View Post
    I definitely like the versatility of pads and they have been quite comfortable when I've used them. My concern is that even in the larger sizes, ones that are 25-26" wide, they would still be too narrow and I'd end up with cold shoulders. Is 25" typically wide enough without having to add any sort of wings? I'd be thrilled if I could get by with just a single inflatable pad.
    That would depend on how broad your shoulders are.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    If there's one thing I want, its to be warm when I'm sleeping. While I usually use an UQ, I occasion I use a closed cell foam pad. In a double layer Warbonnet, it doesn't shift much, but the cold spot is at the shoulders. "Wings" for the shoulders are the answer. If you're cheap, like I am, buy a pad, cut the bottom 1 1/2 feet off, cut that in half and tape on the sides at the head (shoulder) end. Put your pack under your feet (the part of the pad you cut away) and it works. Cut another foot off, the pack still insulates, and you have a sit pad too. (Truth is, I almost always use a UQ.)

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    These people have big, wide pads: http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Exped Multimat works great for summer hangs. Not very thick though. Mine's 9.2oz and you can double it over. Vapor barrier though... works fine in the 45-80F range for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast