Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
    The snakes are on my mind alot but I am also thinking of "hiking the dogs hike". If the dog cant go on anymore ,I might have to cut the trip short! I have been taking her out more and more on longer and longer hikes in preparation for my Mar 16, 17 Hike. Planing on getting a pack for her as well. Going to try and break that in soon.

BTW, doe anyone know if Petco or Petsmart carry any dog packs?
    Petco Dog Saddlebags

REI Pet Packs

Petsmart Dog Backacks & Lifejackets
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

I always take my 2yr old border collie with me. I drive a stake all the way into the ground (incase I fall) right under my hammock and tie his eight foot leash to it. He can get comfortable anywhere under my tarp but can't get tangled in my guy lines. However he is very well behaved and when I'm sleeping is about the only time he is on the leash. As far as the cold he does really well with a DIY fleece jacket and a small ridgerest pad but only if its in the 30s or lower.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images

What to do with dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    There are dog tents available. Otherwise, a small kid's tent will work.
    Better yet for them:

They are called "pup tents". LOL
    Palmetto State Hangers

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow those are some great ideas, several have already moved into testing for my dogs. The continuous ridge line is already made just need to get out and see. I had no idea there would be so many people that feel the same way.

Fronkey, what kind of harness is that you're using in the superior trail? Very interested in how it keeps the leash out of the way more.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    Wow those are some great ideas, several have already moved into testing for my dogs. The continuous ridge line is already made just need to get out and see. I had no idea there would be so many people that feel the same way.

Fronkey, what kind of harness is that you're using in the superior trail? Very interested in how it keeps the leash out of the way more.
    It's really not good to use a collar while on the trail because it's bad for their neck. The harness I use is from Mountain Ridge and it works great.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    It's really not good to use a collar while on the trail because it's bad for their neck. The harness I use is from Mountain Ridge and it works great.

Fronkey
    Oh I see it pulls her neck down all day doesn't it? I've been looking into tracking harnesses, but I'm afraid it would be too comfortable for them to pull against me all day.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

Fronkey
    That's a great looking harness.

Do you find that the strap which goes under the belly of the dog, keeps them from pulling? I know there's a harness similar to this one, made to keep dogs from pulling, but the clip on is a few inches from the neck.

I've trained my dog from the 1st day I got her with, "No Pull" I know I have another dog in my future, so this looks like a great harness to start him/her in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I screw in a dog stake just under the center of my tarp's edge, btwn the 2 tie outs. In dry conditions, I put their dog beds (2 inch thick bottom, with a 6 inch high 6 inch diameter tube pillow sewn around half the circumference) on the ground btwn my hammock and the tarp edge, straddling the dog stake, and lay a kids 20 degree sleeping bag over them. They are usually good down to around 60 degrees with that set up. If it gets below that, I lay a thick fleece sleeping bag over them so just their heads are exposed. I will usually rig my hammock low so I can easily reach over and cover them up. I tie them up so they have only 3ft of rope each. I'm thinking I will probably put their coats on next time for extra warmth.

If it's rainy, i hang my hammock a little higher, and move their beds so they are halfway underneath my hammock.

I have been thinking I probably won't take them if it's going to be much lower than 40 degrees unless I can think of better ways to keep them warm and dry.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Great thread! I've got a high-strung beagle (a bit redundant) that I'd love to take with me, just to wear him out. just got a hammock which I think gives up that idea - for those of you who bring the dog into the hammock with you: Did it take a few times to get them to calm down once in it? My dog (20lb beagle) loves nothign more than getting up on the bed, under the blankets and forcing himself up against us when he can, but I imagine him panicking and trying to stand up in the hammock.

How does that work? I'm not sure he'd do well outside, unless i were on the ground also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123