HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asym
    Insulation
    CC pad+bag
    Suspension
    Biner and webbing

HH Backpacker Asym Fly Problems

I am using the HH Backpacker Asym fly with the HH Ultralight Backpacker hammock.

I was using the asym by hooking into the hooks on the prussik knots on the hammock line but was very frustrated with how it hung so I moved the hooks on prussik knots to a independent ridgeline set up with a dutch hook and a figure 9. My problem is that whenever I get the hammock cinched down tight for a wind/bad weather set up, there is a massive amount of sag along the ridgeline, the fly is wrinkled, and end A flips to the right of the ridgeline and end B goes to the left making "full" coverage impossible. If this makes any sense, could someone help? Thanks!

The picture shows my use as a stock HH but I am having the same problems with a ridge line.
    Last edited by coolhndlke; 03-03-2013 at 23:18. Reason: correction
    Nice Marmot!
    Vauban says nothing's connected. It's all random and cruel. It doesn't matter what you do.

That's nihilism, Tommy! (I Heart Huckabees)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I use a DIY asym tarp that's very similar in style to the Hennessy tarp.

From the sound of it, you've moved over to using the tarp on a continuous ridge line, yes? And you're only getting sag in the tarp when you get into the hammock, yes? Is this ridge line attached to the hammock suspension?

If it is, try attaching directly to the trees, with the tarp just an inch or two above the level that you want the hammock ridge line to be. Then take a pair of mini 'biners (or lightweight cord loops can be substituted here) and clip the CRL to the hammock suspension; this will keep the tarp ends in line with the hammock ends, preventing water intrusion through the whippings.

If it's not attached to the hammock suspension, simply skip the first part and try the second.

You're going to get some sag with an asym tarp; it's cut so that the ridge line stresses are on the bias of the fabric. All fabric stretches on the bias (well, as far as I know; there could be some kind of fabric out there that doesn't...), and that's one of the problems with asym tarps. Elastic tensioners on the stake guylines help, as does tightening the tarp as much as possible on the CRL.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    You broke the system. With the small tarp it needs to be on the prussics so it moves with the hammock. For anything else it will be too small. If you want something different buy a bigger tarp as you will need it.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Re: HH Backpacker Asym Fly Problems

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    You broke the system. With the small tarp it needs to be on the prussics so it moves with the hammock. For anything else it will be too small. If you want something different buy a bigger tarp as you will need it.
    not true.. the prusik knots on the HH suspension lines are useless IMHO... even for the default asym fly. once weight is added to the HH, everything goes to pot... between all of us (friends, family, myself) there's 6 HH's we use... none even have the prusiks on them anymore. nor the stock suspension.. but HYOH.

To the OP.. try using tarp tensioners on your guy lines... if you head over to the DIY section, there's a sticky on how to make them yourself.

Images
    From the manufacturer's website: http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/tips_from_users/

Ideas to keep your rain fly tensioned

You’ve probably noticed that nylon tarps, tent fabrics and nylon adjustment cords will stretch when wet which often results in a loose and flapping rainfly, which later tightens up and looks great again after the sun dries it out. Nylon stretchess 11-15% and polyester stretches 2-3%.You can tie a few loops of shock cord between the “O” ring and the nylon adjustment cord on each side of the rainfly. Use the stretch in the shock cord to take up the stretch in the nylon when it gets wet.

Improving fly shape

Always tighten the rainfly lengthwise first , then tie the side adjustment cords out or down last. This will resulty in a better shaped rainfly. If you want to tweak the shape even further, you can tie a length of lightweight nylon string lengthwise under the rainfly between the two "O" rings. Adjust to tension fairly tight and it will hold the fly a little higher, take out a few wrinkles and improve air circulation under the fly.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asym
    Insulation
    CC pad+bag
    Suspension
    Biner and webbing
    Thanks for the tips. Ill most likely try the shock cord set up.
    Nice Marmot!
    Vauban says nothing's connected. It's all random and cruel. It doesn't matter what you do.

That's nihilism, Tommy! (I Heart Huckabees)

• + New Posts