Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Sleeping pad question

Ok. So I am new to hammock camping. I will be doing the majority of my camping in 3+ seasons in the Rockies (backpacking and car camping). Just picked up the Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1. I also purchased a thermarest pro lite plus (R) about a month before I decided to get a hammock. I have a synthetic bag I have used since my boy scout days. If I end up getting an underquilt, I won't be able to get at the same time as my top quilt due to cost. I do intend to still tent camp occasionally.

So I am trying to decide on a few things:
    1) How does a sleeping pad work pinched between the hammock layers?
    2) Do I return my thermarest pad to save for an underquilt and if so, what do I do when tent camping? Or should I stick with the the pad for now since I bought the dual layer hammock?
    3) Could I buy a top quilt and adjust my old sythetic bag to work as an under-quilt?

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I use a sleeping bag as my tq. its a mummy bag and i just put my feet in it and pull it around. I have used a pad, but they can be a bit to deal with unless you use a double layer hammock. I just recently took an old cheap sleeping bag(synthetic) and pulled some of the stitching out near wear the zipper starts. I wrapped is around the hammock and rezipped it. This allowed me to just zip it up and slip it over the hammock for a snug fit. I will be improving and taking pics this weekend. the only part missing was my upper back. So i just put a small pad i had behind me and I was snuggly warm. its was in the 30's. I bet if I used some shock cord to have the bag pulled up closer to my head it would have worked without the pad.

Having said all this if I could afford a underquilt I would already have one. If it was me I would keep the bag you have as the top quilt and buy the under.

I used a Thermarest Pro Lite 4 last season in my double layer BB. It worked, with some caveats. For one, my shoulders tended to get pretty cold at night. More importantly though, the pad would always shift around while I was sleeping. At least once a night I'd have to slide it back in place, which sometimes meant getting out of my hammock.

For tent camping a pad is a must if you ask me. I have slept on very cold ground without a pad, and it was miserable. If you think you'll be doing tent camping, I'd keep the pad. Otherwise I would think about saving for an underquilt. Just my opinion of course. The pad definitely worked, and I was far more comfortable than I'd ever been in a tent, but it was a bit of a hassle.

You could always get the warmest weather UQ possible, which usually means significantly cheaper, and you can add a closed cell foam pad (wally world blue/military PT mats/Gossamer Gear has great ones) if weather dictates to get into lower temps than your UQ is rated for. Just an idear

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joefbtg28 View Post
    1) How does a sleeping pad work pinched between the hammock layers?
    It works well. Just slide it between the layers.

2) Do I return my thermarest pad to save for an underquilt and if so, what do I do when tent camping? Or should I stick with the the pad for now since I bought the dual layer hammock?
    Keep it, but you likely won't return to tent camping. Stick with the pad as it will work fine and keep you warm. You can also supplement with clothes, inexpensive foam pads, etc.

3) Could I buy a top quilt and adjust my old sythetic bag to work as an under-quilt?
    Use your pads with the sleeping bag as a top quilt. Later, buy an underquilt and mothball the pads. A good underquilt will allow you to use surprisingly little insulation on top. You don't need a UQ, but it will change your life for the better.

I don't like to suggest any manufacturer, but I think the wearable quilt from Jack's-R-Better should be a first quilt. It can be worn, used as an underquilt, or a top quilt. But, there are other manufacturers I like much more for a second quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I have an order in for a hammock gear burrow 20. Returned the new expensive pad, as I still have a bulkier pad for if/when I need it. Will be ordering a hammock gear Phoenix 40 or 20 before too long. I was in between the burrow 20 and 40, but I am only heavier by about 5 ounces with the warmer quilt. I will probably end up going with the Phoenix 20 as well.

• + New Posts