Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I previously purchased a Cocoon 200 online when it was on sale for $33. The 200 and 250 are both on sale at my local Walmart for $64. The 200 and the 250 have the exact same UPC and appear the same on a receipt. The 200 I previously purchased was a little too small, so I purchased the 250. Then I returned the 200 and got my $64 back.

I have to thank my buddy, and neighbor, atvgod82 on the BCUSA forums for this idea. He bought one of each and noticed the UPC's were the same.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    I finally decided to pull the trigger on one of these. Coming from a history of synthetics, I was skeptical when I picked it up & saw how truly small & light it was. Bringing it home, I can see that the down needs to be moved around some, but that's fine.

I think I may use this bag as my first DIY attempt & make it into a TQ. Maybe even buy some extra down & add it.

Here's a comparison of my 15° synthetic compared to the 32° down.

Edit: I forgot to add, although I plan on using it as a TQ, I'm 6'3" 310lbs & I'm still able to fit in this thing (though it's snug). I'm impressed!

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Good buy! I got the cocoon myself, but it was $80 I modified it into a pod and love it! I took it for a spin one night when it got down to about 40 and it's rated at 32. Stayed surprisingly toasty.
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey
    Insulation
    none
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/Dutch
    I bought a 40 degree bag on sale for $67. It was so thin I could see right through it - very little down. I'm returning it tonight.

Walmart 32 degree down sleeping bag? All I have to say is you get what you pay for. There are many quality types of down fill. The higher the number the less down (i.e. weight) it takes to get the same loft. 800 on up is very good. It doesn't even mention what it is with this bag but it does say the shipping weight is over 4 pounds so I would be wary. FWIW, I have a synthetic 32 degree Mountain Hardware bag that is 1 pound 11 ounces!

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    Walmart 32 degree down sleeping bag? All I have to say is you get what you pay for. There are many quality types of down fill. The higher the number the less down (i.e. weight) it takes to get the same loft. 800 on up is very good. It doesn't even mention what it is with this bag but it does say the shipping weight is over 4 pounds so I would be wary. FWIW, I have a synthetic 32 degree Mountain Hardware bag that is 1 pound 11 ounces!
    You're dismissing this without looking at all the buzz on these bags. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ozark.../?review=30504

And here's the one I bought and modified into a TopQuilt. Weighs 17oz.

1920633_10152009205111129_767699370_n.jpg

No one's claiming these are the same quality as a JRB or Warbonnet, but I have a 17oz TQ for $70, and I've slept in it down to 32F. It's a good deal.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    I agree with Goose 1 - you are missing the point. I bought one for $33, cut the zipper out and have a very small, very light TQ that will work year round down here.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    To those that have turned this bag into a TQ/UQ; is it worth harvesting the down in the draft tube & head area? Possibly just transfer it to the rest of the bag? Or more hassle than its worth?

Tarp
    Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This looks like a great idea to be able to have your own top quilt
    "And here we see a wily bovine in it's natural habitat, always vigilant..." My Father

ಠ_ಠ-When I see a good hang

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I had a chance to do a real test at the Ozark hang recently. Buddies said it got down to 33 degrees the first night. With the walmart underquilt, and 2qzq UQP I was super toasty. Never had a cold spot under me. I stopped searching for an under quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast