Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter Tarps and tensioners

I have yet to install lines on my recently acquired Speer Winter Tarp (it is way cool BROWN). All of my actual camping/hanging to date has been at moderate temps, and I'm a fan of tarp tensioners on my Macat Dlx. Shug opined in his video the tensioners didn't work at low temps, well, anyone have any idea how low? As a southern hammocker, zero will be once in a blue moon, the teens more likely to be the lowest temp I'll see. Should I bother making the tensioners?

Also the consensus in a recent thread was that six feet or so was plenty long enough for lines on a winter tarp, any differing opinions?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I have yet to install lines on my recently acquired Speer Winter Tarp (it is way cool BROWN). All of my actual camping/hanging to date has been at moderate temps, and I'm a fan of tarp tensioners on my Macat Dlx. Shug opined in his video the tensioners didn't work at low temps, well, anyone have any idea how low? As a southern hammocker, zero will be once in a blue moon, the teens more likely to be the lowest temp I'll see. Should I bother making the tensioners?

Also the consensus in a recent thread was that six feet or so was plenty long enough for lines on a winter tarp, any differing opinions?
    Right around freezing ...32º they stay stretched out.
    I think 3 to 4 feet is plenty in winter unless you like to hang 'er high.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Just use a length of shock cord rather than the slingshot tubing. I took 10" lengths of 1/8" shock cord, stretched it out and matched that length it to my tie down cord and then used clove hitches to tie on the shock cord to the tie down cord. Mine was down to 11 degrees this past weekend and didn't freeze up at all.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Any one had any experience with the shock cord tensioners failing?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use the tensioners shown in post #3 of this thread. I've not noticed anything near the freezing issue that the rubber tubing tensioners seem to have. The only time I even use tensioners anymore is in the winter. I've had them get 'stiff', but never had them go rigid at temps above 0F. SuperFly is always nearly as tight in the morning as it was when I went to sleep.

I agree with Shug on the length. Winter means I want my tarp low to the ground anyway, so I don't carry the extra line.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Just use a length of shock cord rather than the slingshot tubing. I took 10" lengths of 1/8" shock cord, stretched it out and matched that length it to my tie down cord and then used clove hitches to tie on the shock cord to the tie down cord. Mine was down to 11 degrees this past weekend and didn't freeze up at all.
    EXCELLENT IDEA! Many thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I've been to the low teens with probably the same shock cord for tensioners (I got them from REI) as well and they worked fine, but everything will freeze at some temperature... including me!
    Youngblood AT2000

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I've been to the low teens with probably the same shock cord for tensioners (I got them from REI) as well and they worked fine, but everything will freeze at some temperature... including me!
    You are right. However, my lower limit is way above the limit of shock cord I am sure. We start hunting for the coat when it gets down to 60 degrees!

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    EXCELLENT IDEA! Many thanks!
    I got the idea from Ed and Karen over at speerhammocks.com. Saw Karen tying them on to Lost's new Speer Winter Tarp at the last hangout in Hot Springs.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

REI shock cords good to about 0F

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I've used the REI shock cords to attach stuff to my pack, and they start to fail around 0F. They simply stop contracting. Once they thaw they're fine again.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast