Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    No worries Bubba, it never crossed my mind for a minute. Canoe Lake is, admittedly, much easier for access for peolpe coming in from Southern or Eastern Ontario.
    Yeah I was thinking of some of the guys from Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar328 View Post
    This looks like a great idea!

For the time being I am schedule all 4 nights of that weekend and it is unlikely I will be able to change that. I will work to move mountains but for the time being I will have to be on the dock looking longingly as you paddle away. Any progress on availability and I will post it here. As always my driveway is open for a carpooling lot if it helps.

Cheers

Cedar.
    That sucks dude. Do what you can.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    That's too bad -- this is the same weekend that we'll be paddling up in Temagami.

Maybe ...
    Depending on the ice.
    It's always a crap shoot to see if Mother Nature will cooperate.

But it is a great time of year for a paddle -- hardly any bugs and even fewer people. Sorry that I won't be able to make it, especially considering that there is stew on the menu. You boys do know how to cook up dinner!

Enjoy your trip and stay safe.

Cheers.

Geoff

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works

Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

I shall monitor this thread.

Since I am without canoe, and the experience that comes from having one, I can't say that I would be well suited for this trip.

I was thinking, however, if I were to rent a solo canoe (I am currently in the market for buying one), would a newbie like me be able to tuff it out and tag along? I wouldn't complain too much, and only to Chard, I know he thrives off it.

Cheers,
    Nik

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenvre View Post
    I was thinking, however, if I were to rent a solo canoe (I am currently in the market for buying one), would a newbie like me be able to tuff it out and tag along? I wouldn't complain too much, and only to Chard, I know he thrives off it.
    As far as paddling goes, the route up from Canoe Lake is amost completely on large lakes. If the weather fine, then there's no problem, but if the wind's a'blow'n (as she usually does), they can get quite rough. Somehow the western portion of Tom Thomson and the traverse of McIntosh are almost always have strong crosswinds. That might be touch-and-go for a rookie soloing across ice-out waters.

Alternatively, coming in from Magnetewan and puddle jumping east through to Daisy, Misty and McIntosh allows you to avoid the bigger lakes and odds are you'll have a tail wind all the way in. Trolling along the way would probably be better as well. The only catch is that it's another 2 hours drive from Ottawa and more, albeit shorter, portages.

Oh! Actually complaints go quite well with a little single malt and a campfire! Very theraputic.

Quote Originally Posted by BrknArrow View Post
    That's too bad -- this is the same weekend that we'll be paddling up in Temagami.
    Hey BrknArrow,

I assume the fishing's awesome in Temagami that time of year. What route were you thinking of doing if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by Chard; 03-07-2013 at 17:29.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works

Canada>Ontario>May 2013 - EGL Spring Canoe Hang - May 2013 - Planning Thread

Thanks for the info Chard. I have no problem with addidional drive time if it means ill be more comfortable and safe on the trek. I can always map out the alternate route as suggested, and plan to meet everyone at a site.

Promising news! Ill keep all of this in mind and when this outing settles on its final route, Ill see what I can manage. Guess I need to get a roof rack too...

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Guess I need to get a roof rack too...
    If you're renting, some of the outfitters will deliver your canoe to and pick it up from the access point of your choice. Makes things a lot easier. Give Algonquin Outfitters a call. They've done well by me over the years.
    Last edited by Chard; 03-07-2013 at 14:14.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I shall monitor this thread.

Since I am without canoe, and the experience that comes from having one, I can't say that I would be well suited for this trip.

Cheers,
    Nik
    I'm without canoe but have experience. I'd have no problem partnering up with someone on a rental/paddle (but I'd rent a solo if that's the way people are going).

Hammock
    WB XLC Lightweight DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Hey BrknArrow,

I assume the fishing's awesome in Temagami that time of year. What route were you thinking of doing if you don't mind me asking?
    Well, we found ourselves in a bit of a hairy crossing a few years back as we were coming out of Obabika and made the cut across Temagami for Devil's Mountain. That was ... scary and hypothermic. Since then, we are trying to avoid big water so early in the season. The plan is to start from the landing at the end of the Access Rd. and head down Shiningwood Bay and spend some time on Wasaksina. There is some pretty good trout fishing in the pools that form as Wasaksina runs into Denedus and into Olier ...

We might make it as far as Iceland Lake, though I haven't given much thought as to our exit -- either back the way we came or loop back via High Rock Island. But that depends on the wind and the waves and our resolve!

Massasauga is booked as an alternate if the ice is still an issue, but it ain't Temagami. At that time of year, you can paddle and literally not see another soul while you are on the water the entire trip.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    So it looks like Tracey and myself will need to bow out of this one. I have been wanting to do longish solo hike for my birthday and 2 trips in one week will be too much.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    So it looks like Tracey and myself will need to bow out of this one. I have been wanting to do longish solo hike for my birthday and 2 trips in one week will be too much.
    That's too bad Jay.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast