Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

ultra-treated down --1000FP and hydrophobic?

Patagonia claims 1000FP rating for "their own processed" down in their priciest "encapsil' parka.

Here's copy lifted directly from a write-up in "Outdoor" mag. I'm posting this here because no matter the claim of in-house R&D in the text, if the insulation is real then it is likely to be offered commercially in the future.

Waterproof down made a big splash this winter. Many companies started using durable water repellent (DWR) treated down. Other companies asked questions about the treated down—from whether it would last over time, to whether or not DWR treatment reduces down’s warmth rating, to what the environmental impact of the product is.

Patagonia, which has stringent company-wide environmental parameters that all products must meet, took a pass on DWR-treated down and developed a new method of waterproofing that the company says is green. Patagonia is using its new down in one garment this season—the [1000FP] Encapsil Down Belay Jacket.

<snip>
    According to Patagonia, its waterproof down offers a significant advantage over other waterproof down solutions. Silicone-free Encapsil, the product that Patagonia uses to treat its down, is fluorocarbon-free (DWR typically contains fluorocarbons). Patagonia agitates its plumes with low-level radio frequency waves to shift the molecular structure of the down’s surface. Then it adds a tiny amount of siloxane to each bit of down. The silicone sticks to the down permanently. The result: hydrophobic down that is 25 percent stronger and loftier than untreated down.

Philosopher's Stone of down.

Images
    Hey Demostix,
    I saw this in the Patagonia catalog that came in the mail yesterday. Most impressive looking stuff. I think that parka was about $800! Then again, for those that have the money, 1000 FP waterproof down.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    If I could find that down by the ounce, I'd try it in a DIY quilt. I wonder if it would still breath well.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    FIMB it might even breath better ~though how to measure~ regular down is fairly hydroscopic, the 'treated' down is hydrophobic and will want to push the moisture away and away will most likely be toward the easy side (cool/out) of the gradient.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Sounds like a winner to me. Now just to find some in my price range. I think Undergroundquilts use the 900FP hydrophobic down, I wonder where they source it.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Here is a bigger version of the story. http://www.thecleanestline.com/2013/...gin-story.html

One downside is that it requires special cleaning once per year to maintain effectiveness. Patagonia will offer free cleaning if you ship them back the jacket. I guess you can't clean it on your own. I read somewhere else that Patagonia liked this technology so much, it purchased an interest in the inventing company so that no other gear makers could use it.

Images
    Interesting article. The special cleaning is a drawback, though Patagonia will take care of it, apparently at no cost except maybe shipping.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Just blue-skying, here:

The ultimate gram-weenies at HF, and we know who some of them are -- can hardly do better than to use this stuff in full-length 0deg underquilts. The weight savings and value come from where you can apply it to the greatest extent.

Why with an UQ? Even with very frequent use, it is hard to see how annual cleaning will ever be necessary.*

* 1. Yes, I do imply that I wonder that more of us don't want removable and washable micro-snap-on bibs for the tops of our top quilts. 1/2oz penalty to save potentially difficult and costly/bothersome laundering of the whole TQ.

* 2. This might be a reminder to those purchasing previously owned that there are some down garment users who either sleep neked or are proud never to have compromised the loft of the down by laundering it (a 7th or more time, the first 6 times having been done by the down processor before the garment was made. )

Grimy as washcloths and my shirt collars have been all my life at the end of the day, I'd want to ask seller about her use, belief, and practice before posting "I'll take it."
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-06-2013 at 20:31.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'Grimy as washcloths and my shirt collars have been all my life I'd want to ask seller about her use, belief, and practice before posting "I'll take it."'

Come on man roll the dice!

Now about those washings. I have a few downy garments/sleeping bags/quilts and have NEVER washed any of them.
    Then again it's been since forced corporal punishment (age 13ish) that I washed my feet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast