1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

hanging tarp

I have got a question about what is the best way to hang an Etowah outfitters 8 x 10 tarp over my hammock. I have a simple ENO SN and I use webbing for that. I have some line that I can use, and I need to know how to attach the tarp to the tree with the line... if there is an easier way than just wrapping it around it a couple times and tucking it under. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    It sounds like you are asking what knot you ought to use. Is that right?

I have found the siberian hitch very useful. Here is a video that demonstrates it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3DMj-zJu8

Last edited by angrysparrow; 01-30-2009 at 08:27. Reason: embedded video

Speaking of tying tarps to trees, what do most use cordage wise? I'm using 1.75 Lash-it for stakes and GI paracord for the tree. I wondered if the 2.2mm Lash-It would work okay, it is certainly strong enough. I was afraid it might be too small of a diameter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Speaking of tying tarps to trees, what do most use cordage wise? I'm using 1.75 Lash-it for stakes and GI paracord for the tree. I wondered if the 2.2mm Lash-It would work okay, it is certainly strong enough. I was afraid it might be too small of a diameter.
    2mm cordage should work fine - just as long as it holds the knots you're looking for, it shouldn't make too much of a mark on trees. However, if you're winter camping, make sure you have a good pair of gloves or mittens for taking it down!
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asimmons4 View Post
    I have got a question about what is the best way to hang an Etowah outfitters 8 x 10 tarp over my hammock. I have a simple ENO SN and I use webbing for that. I have some line that I can use, and I need to know how to attach the tarp to the tree with the line... if there is an easier way than just wrapping it around it a couple times and tucking it under. Thanks

Hi there, that is the EXACT same setup I have been using. Same tarp and hammock. I use the ENO single with that tarp because IMO that 10 feet is pretty short when it starts raining and the single can get under there OK. Also, since there is not seam running along the 10' middle of the tap I string up a separate ridgeline for it to lay on so it will have enough structure for me to get the sides nice and tight. I suppose a picture is worth a thousand words. I have a couple of not-so-great pictures from the Mt Rogers hang that show how I have it set up for cold weather.

Here you can see the beaks I have drawn in to keep the wind out as much as possible

The 8x10 is on the right and the Hennessy hex tarp is on the left. The hennessy has more coverage but I can get the 8x10 closer and tighter. But I am not the most experienced when it comes to setting up tarps.

I just attach my tarp to the tree with some slippery half hitches and it always works and always comes out when I want it to and not before.

Adam

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Adam in the second pic, what are you using for the midway tieout on the HH tarp? Gripclip, DIY sewn on tieout, or what?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

DIY Tieout

Hey JeffJenn,

I did a tacked on a quick DIY tieout (grosgrain) the day before the group hang. It worked great...until I tripped over the stinkin guy line and made a 6 inch tear in the tarp. I can fix it no problem but I should have known. I did not really put any reinforcing fabric on the inside of the tarp and I probably had my stitches set too close which might have weakened the already weak attachment. I REALLY liked how it opened up the inside of the tarp though. When you pitch it low and close for winter or wet hangs, it really is nice to have that extra room inside. I dont think I will ever have a tarp without them now!

Adam

Hammock
    switchback
    how do you add a tie out like that for the middle of the tarp? Im not that familiar with grip clips, but the ones I have seen, seem like they would be hard on the tarp material......

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Over long periods of ti,e the grip clips are probably not the best solution for silnylon and other very light fabrics. A more permanent solution is to double stitch patches (one inside and one out) and attach the tie outs to those. The outside patch could present a water catch, so it needs to be well sealed. In general a patch like that should probably extend 1" or so in all directions from the tie out tab to spread the stress of the tie out over a larger area. Use a moderate stitch to sew it on. Shorter stitches are stronger but more apt to tear the base fabric. Longer stitches are weaker and less likely to tear the base but allow for more movement and shifting in the base making it a little more difficult to seal it completely.

The grip clips are best for experimenting and finding where the tabs are best placed because they can be relocatted so easily.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images

Panel pullouts

After you get them installed there are tradeoffs with panel pullouts that I don't see people address to often. People do talk about extra guyline and stakes to deal with versus the extra volume and keeping the sides of the tarp away from you.

But there are others... one is the steepness of the pitch and whether snow will slide off before it accumulates enough to cause the tarp to droop and the material to stretch even more and act as a catch basin for snow. This is one of those where a little pullout may be a good thing but a lot of pullout may not. You need to be careful with that one because snow can be very quiet and may not wake you up so you can knock off any buildup. Pay attention to slope and don't get carried away and end up with something that potentially does more harm than good.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast