Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post
    Are their pictures of your "weather shield" posted here? Using my Cuben Hammock I have a built in Vapor Barrier.

Thanks.
    Bill
    Here's one.

As you can see, it is for a DIY bridge hammock, which introduces a couple of wrinkles. The main one was to make it so that the weather shield "gives" as I get into the hammock, so as not to tear the cuben under stress. Let's not look at the gathered place on the side, wonder what it is, why it is there, and how I can be so sure this is important The corners are attached with lengths of elastic so that it gives when pulled down on the side.

My vapor barrier was making the "against the hammock side" of a DIY differential partial length underquilt from Cuben It's fun to see the down inside of a quilt!

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    I have a nanatuk down, (ghost I believe?) I removed the foot box. I them sewed a very light cuben on the bottom. It makes about a 3/4 UQ suspended with elastics sewed around the perimiter.(hammock cuben gatherred ends) I have had no problems with condensations, or compression of the down in the UQ. very light and seems quite efficient. So I have cuben pertex? down Pertex, then cuben hammock. In my next one (bridge, cuben) I suspect the UQ will transfer very nicely. gnome

Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies

Cuben fiber comparison.

I have bought this guy's cuben fiber backpack, and it's insanely tough (Blast26). At 2600 cubic inches, it's 4 ounces and big enough for me to carry stuff for an entire week (If I squeeze everything in).

I found this video of him comparing the durability of some fabrics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfcu...eature=related

Hey Grizz, did you make a bridge hammock out of cuben fiber? How well is it holding up? And how light is it?
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leifo5343 View Post
    Hey Grizz, did you make a bridge hammock out of cuben fiber? How well is it holding up? And how light is it?
    I'm working on it. There are some engineering issues to be resolved. I have a working model at 4.5 oz, I think I can reduce the weight by 25% still so that's the current goal. It's crazy to spend this much effort chasing an ounce, but no crazier than trying to make a bridge hammock out of cuben to begin with. I'll post when I think I have something usable. If ever

Grizz

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    I believe cuben hammocks can be done right. If fear of puncture then tape another layer from shoulder to butt. Maybe even make it so one end is open and you can slide an 1/8" gossomer pad in there.
    Yup i know this is old but i officially have the cuben bug thanks to my zpacks tarp.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I killed one made from 0.75. I'm also not sure after trying one, that cuben is a good material for a hammock for other reasons.

The thread about my experience: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=52098
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I killed one made from 0.75. I'm also not sure after trying one, that cuben is a good material for a hammock for other reasons.

The thread about my experience: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=52098
    Where did it fail and how? My thought was to re-enforce from head to butt area or maybe the entire length so when you dig your feet in its fine too. Well i say feet diggging because i need to wiggle into my winter bag and i end up putting weight on feet and shoulders so i can get the bag under me. My summer down bag is currently being stitched up by a local seemstress and the 1/3 length zipper will be removed so it will look like a quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    It started under my shoulders. For no apparent reason when I was laying in it I heard a pop. When I felt under me I found a tear, just a small one. Then as I tried to get out slowly before it failed with me in it, the hole made a noise and opened up a little more. Just as I was swinging my feet out the entire thing failed across the width except for about 1" near one of the edges.

Besides an unexplained failure, I found the material way too stiff, like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. It was also not breathable at all in the least. That part didn't really affect me much except in the hottest parts of the year, but for folks that already think a closed cell foam pad is not comfortable, a cuben hammock is going to be hell. Add all that in, and the fact that cuben is pretty expensive compared to many other fabrics, and I came to the conclusion that I'll wait for the next miracle fabric before I ever try a cuben hammock again.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It started under my shoulders. For no apparent reason when I was laying in it I heard a pop. When I felt under me I found a tear, just a small one. Then as I tried to get out slowly before it failed with me in it, the hole made a noise and opened up a little more. Just as I was swinging my feet out the entire thing failed across the width except for about 1" near one of the edges.

Besides an unexplained failure, I found the material way too stiff, like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. It was also not breathable at all in the least. That part didn't really affect me much except in the hottest parts of the year, but for folks that already think a closed cell foam pad is not comfortable, a cuben hammock is going to be hell. Add all that in, and the fact that cuben is pretty expensive compared to many other fabrics, and I came to the conclusion that I'll wait for the next miracle fabric before I ever try a cuben hammock again.
    Hey SGT, Cubic Tech is sending me some samples. I mentioned bias cuben and such and they have woven Cuben with diagonal threads as well. I don't know exactly what he is sending but its something new he says. You might want to check it out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'll keep an eye out.
    NO SNIVELING!