Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

mason's line prusik

About to head to the Ozark hang in a couple of days and trying to square away some odds and ends. Funds are limited so I had to be creative with my tarp ridgeline. I have some of this utility cordage from REI. I know it has a nylon core with a little stretch, but it's what's available to me at the moment. I used a single ring suspension to tighten it up and it worked like a charm.

My question is this: Is a braided mason's line prusik a really bad idea? To connect the tarp (Noah's 12, kinda heavy) to the ridgeline, I made two prusik loops of hot pink mason's line and s-binered the tarp to those and pulled everything taut. This configuration was hung in the back yard this weekend overnight to see how it fared. It was a calm night with little to no wind, so everything was fine. The stretch is not so much my concern as the integrity of the mason's line if the wind picks up. If this is the absolute worst thing I could have ever done, what alternative (readily found at WM or a small town hardware store) should I consider until I can order some sort of amsteel/zing-it combo?

Little help? Please?

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    Braided mason's line will do just fine, plenty of strength for your tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've used it consistently and have had no issues. the only downside i have found was that it will unwrap itself some when not under tension so needs a quick rewrap before setting.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Re: mason's line prusik

I think the issue with the utility cord really presents itself when it gets wet, which, presumably, is precisely when you DON'T want it to. I'd say more testing is in order before you trust it in the wild. Pitch it and spray everything down with a hose and see how it fares.

And I tried using masons line for prussics on my guys before getting Zing-It and because it's nylon or polyester or whatever it is, I can't remember which, it friction welded under tension and became impossible to undo without destroying it. But the stuff does make good prussics for things like hanging stuff from your hammock's ridgeline.

My $0.02.
    Last edited by Kyle; 03-06-2013 at 10:51. Reason: friction*, not fiction. D'oh.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Exactly the info I was looking for. So long as it will hold the weight of the tarp in not-so-fair weather, I'll be golden. Thanks folks.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looking at the weather this weekend, we may get some rain. Is there an alternative (that is easily found at WM or small-town hardware store) that I should use for my ridgeline instead of the REI cordage in the original post?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Have you already checked local arborist suppliers? They will have some sort of throw line, which is often Zing-It or Dynaglide, or one of their "clones." Also check out local fishing supply stores, or Bass Pro Shops if you have one around. Look for Planer Board Line, it's very similar to Zing-It, albeit at a larger diameter if memory serves.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Have you already checked local arborist suppliers? They will have some sort of throw line, which is often Zing-It or Dynaglide, or one of their "clones." Also check out local fishing supply stores, or Bass Pro Shops if you have one around. Look for Planer Board Line, it's very similar to Zing-It, albeit at a larger diameter if memory serves.
    Hmmm, I'll have to check on this. There are plenty of tackle shops, but arborist suppliers? Not so much. What do they use it for?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    That cord from REI looks a lot like some stuff that can be found at Walmart in the boating/recreation department. It's a braided line that comes in green, orange, or white. And it works great. I used it extensively for ridgeline and prussiks until just a few days ago when I swapped it out for Zing-it to reduce my pack size a bit.
    As for braided Mason's line - the stuff I got at Lowe's has a breaking strength of around 80-100 lbs. Should be plenty strong for prussiks.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Re: mason's line prusik

Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    Hmmm, I'll have to check on this. There are plenty of tackle shops, but arborist suppliers? Not so much. What do they use it for?
    Arborists? They use it as a throw line. Incidentally, it makes a great throw line for bear bagging. XD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast