Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images

Introduction and looking for HH Exp Asym owners

Hi all. Great forum.

I am about to get my butt off the ground.

A little history. I am an occasional camper who is getting into backpacking and hoping to get into the woods a whole lot more. I live in Cincinnati and we have an incredible wilderness are about 2 hours away called Red River Gorge that I can't get enough of.

I have always struggled with sleeping in the woods due to comfort on the ground. Even though I finally found a great pad (POE Ether compact 6) that makes sleeping a much better experience, I am drawn to the simplicity and uniqueness of hammock camping.

Ok, so on to my question. I have a HH Expedition Asym on the way and was wondering what others think of this setup. I am concerned with the size of the tarp in a rainstorm, but also just looking for user experience with it.

Thanks, and loving the forum while I wait for Cincinnati to thaw out.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    From what I hear, it will work. Some people still use it but most people get a bigger tarp.

Welcome to the forums.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The stock tarp with those HH setups are "sufficient" if you know how to rig them low and tight. There's a great deal of disucssion on the forums about them. The ultra lighters tend to like them because they are small, light and will do the job they are called on to do. Those of us who like some real estate under our tarps tend to upgrade to a bigger after market tarp saving the stock tarp for those days when we think we're fine from rain and want to be able to see the world from our bed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest

HH Exped & tarp

I just recently acquired the HH and after considering our Wisconsin climate, decided to upgrade the tarp size. I am waiting for a MacCat Deluxe and think it will meet my needs. I have 50 years of tenting and am excited about using the HH.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Unless you upgraded the tarp, the one you're getting is heavy for it's size. I've used stock Hennessy flies with good success, but it does depend very heavily on site selection to stay dry. If you are setting up in areas with thickets of low trees, the HH fly is tough to beat. But, if you are in more open areas you will really want to step-up to a larger tarp.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The stock tarp with those HH setups are "sufficient" if you know how to rig them low and tight. There's a great deal of disucssion on the forums about them. The ultra lighters tend to like them because they are small, light and will do the job they are called on to do. Those of us who like some real estate under our tarps tend to upgrade to a bigger after market tarp saving the stock tarp for those days when we think we're fine from rain and want to be able to see the world from our bed.
    What RR said. You can definitely stay dry with the small stock tarp, especially if you EXACTLY follow the directions for how to rig it, and most certainly if you are also a user of the HH Super Shelter. But folks often have trouble with the tarp being loose and flapping in the wind unless they attach to the trees, rather than as designed. And if you attach to the trees you may not be happy with the coverage once the hammock sags but the tarp doesn't. Some do well attaching one end to the trees, one end(of tarp) to the hammock.

Some just prefer a bigger(heavier) tarp that will give plenty of living space when not asleep, give plenty of coverage even after tying both ends to the trees, and may be much more stable in the wind.

You should be extremely comfortable in that hammock specially if you lay on your back, and put something as a pad/pillow under your knees. I certainly have been way comfortable in my HH Exlporer UL. But I mostly stay on my back, even though I side sleep in my bed.

But you are quickly going to figure out a way to keep your back warm. That will be your most immediate concern. You can use your ground pad, but most folks don't like a pad in a hammock, especially in a HH. You will probably want a Speer SPE to help you control the pad(s). Or if money allows, for ultimate comfort, you will want either a JRB UQ ( http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ ) or a Speer Snugfit ( http://www.speerhammocks.com/ ). I would say a Speer Peapod, but you can't use that with your HH, unless you first get a zipper mod. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3600

Have fun learning, and welcome to the dark side!

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    I have one of the backpackers HHs and have a couple of observations: standard tarp fine for late spring and summer; larger tarp for other times; best comfort and insulation would be an exped 9 deluxe; best way to enjoy your HH, have two questions' wife do one of the three mods on it.

The HH are great and they can be much more comfortable than a tent under most conditions.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My HH Explorer with SuperShelter has worked for me in all situations and seasons, primarily because I read a lot about how to use it here on HammockForums.net. It's well worth learning the fine art of hammock hanging!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I use the HH with the stock tarp. I use the JRB No sniveler underqult. I have been in some HEAVY rain and have been bone dry. My concern is running into high wind and high rain at the same time (A given eventually) I am looking to move up in tarp for that reason and I am considering the MCAT for that reason. My advice when it comes to hammocking, crawl, walk, run.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track
    http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...flyProject.pdf

If you decide on a new tarp, Ashman posted this link of converting the stock fly to an undercover.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast