Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks Paul! Great report. Absoulutely beautiful pics! The trout are beautiful too! Glad that y'all got to get out and experience this trip. It's cool that you figured out to hang in the canyon!

Were all the fishing catch and release? Again thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Grand Canyon, Hammocks in the Desert

Great trip report, Paul. I really enjoy the canyon except for the part where I slept on the ground. I'm wondering if the portable hammock stand the Dehoja recently reviewed would be a viable option there. At least until a permanent hanging solution is achieved.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Wow, nice TR! Beautiful pics.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have many week long trips already logged in the Grand Canyon, and have hammocked in a few places where the rock provided a place to insert small nuts and chocks. Mostly, the terrain just isn't conducive. As for the campgrounds themselves, I would enjoy seeing more hangers and the availability of hanging sites. Nice to hear the rangers were interested in exploring that option, at least on a trial basis.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    great trip report
    thanks. tag'd for future notes

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    i for one would love to hike the Canyon... I have always wanted to go, and seeing it from the top down just doesn't seem to do any big hole justice... it needs to be appreciated from the top down, and from bottom up and everywhere in between...

what was the total mileage and elevation gain you guys did?
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    This may go down in Hammock Forum history as “THE,” 2013, trip, AND trip report, of the year!

Oh, and yes, I would LOVE to hang in the Canyon, if there where hammock stands! Of course, my vote don’t count, being so far away, but put me down for a yes anyway.

Thanks for the trip report, pgibson!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    i for one would love to hike the Canyon... I have always wanted to go, and seeing it from the top down just doesn't seem to do any big hole justice... it needs to be appreciated from the top down, and from bottom up and everywhere in between...

For me, rim to rim from south to north was 4,500 feet down, 5,500 feet up, 23 miles and 15 1/2 hours on the trails.

Absolutely kicked my ***, but was amazing. I can't wait to get back there.

Hammock
    BIAS camper
    Tarp
    super fly
    Insulation
    AHE Uq, EE Tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, now thats a trip.
    Thanks.
    Shalom.

ramjet

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Great report,beautiful photos and very timely as I'm planning a trip to the GC this summer and have sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to sleep on the ground (gasp) but I would definitely hang if it were an option.
    I am sure you will have a great trip. I am not a hot weather hiker, can't even imagine the canyon in the summer. 80 is about my max temp for hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Thanks Paul! Great report. Absoulutely beautiful pics! The trout are beautiful too! Glad that y'all got to get out and experience this trip. It's cool that you figured out to hang in the canyon!

Were all the fishing catch and release? Again thanks for sharing.
    The Park is acctually trying to reduce the number of fish in BA creek...there is a weir set up about a hundred yards up stream from the river and they have a no max bag limit for trout. We all practiced C&R and I hope most others will as well, it would be sad to see such a perfect trout stream disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Great trip report, Paul. I really enjoy the canyon except for the part where I slept on the ground. I'm wondering if the portable hammock stand the Dehoja recently reviewed would be a viable option there. At least until a permanent hanging solution is achieved.
    MAD, Dejoha had planned to take the Handy Hammock stand but days before the trip we got a report that said the ground was like cement and that driving stakes into the ground was very difficult so he decided not to pack it in. The pegs the stand use were a bit of a concern if they would would hold up. When we arrived we decided that it would have been very difficult to use. We are thinking along the lines of a Speer pipe pole stand but with the uprights sunk into the ground for the more permanent option.

Quote Originally Posted by RamenShamen View Post
    Wow, nice TR! Beautiful pics.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    I have many week long trips already logged in the Grand Canyon, and have hammocked in a few places where the rock provided a place to insert small nuts and chocks. Mostly, the terrain just isn't conducive. As for the campgrounds themselves, I would enjoy seeing more hangers and the availability of hanging sites. Nice to hear the rangers were interested in exploring that option, at least on a trial basis.
    We were both surprised and thrilled to get the green light on our hike and for the talk to be open and welcoming. We did take a good bit of effort to explain who we as a group are, our LNT mentality and that we would like to promote future use in the canyon with that same mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post

I did not take my GPS to record the whole trip but the parks map says 9.5 miles each way with 4380' of net elevation change from rim to river. That does not account for some of the smaller ups and downs along the way just the difference from top to bottom. I would not be surprized if it was closer to 5000 total feet of change from top to bottom. The tough part is the majority of the elevation is done is compact sections. The first 3.5 or so miles from the rim drop over 3000 feet. Then further down the trail you have another section that probably looses (or gains ) another 600-800 in about 3/4 mile. If you took out those sections the hike would be fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    This may go down in Hammock Forum history as “THE,” 2013, trip, AND trip report, of the year!

Thanks for the trip report, pgibson!
    I don't know about all that I like putting out a good report for my trips, hope it inspires others to hit the trail more and record their adventures. Check out some of my other Trip Reports, this is the style I usually write them in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
    Absolutely kicked my ***, but was amazing. I can't wait to get back there.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
    Wow, now thats a trip.
    Thanks.
    Thank you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast