Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images

HHSS compatible with UQ?

Is a down UQ compatible with the SS UC - or are the two mutually exclusive?

If the UQ is between the hammock and the UC, I wonder if the UC would overly compress the down UQ to minimize effectiveness - and I'd worry about condensation inside the UC.

Yet if the UQ is beneath the UC, it seems the UC would serve no purpose at all.

I've got my eye on a new UQ, but it seems like I'd be wasting the SS that I've already invested in... am I missing something?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    Is a down UQ compatible with the SS UC - or are the two mutually exclusive?
    They have been used together.

If the UQ is between the hammock and the UC, I wonder if the UC would overly compress the down UQ to minimize effectiveness - and I'd worry about condensation inside the UC.
    For the most part, correct on both counts. However, in general adding items like fleece jackets or even down vests, parkas or sleeping bags or quilts have been used to generate huge increases in the insulation. But there will be a tendency for the HH UC to compress whatever insulation is in the UC, in some places worse than others. Having something in there - like a pad - just heavy enough to slightly overcome the elastic tension creating a gap that down lofts up to fill can work good. I have had great results with having both a fleece jacket and down vest in the UC at the same time. The condensation caused by the Sil-nylon UC is overcome by using a space blanket and/or VB clothing or liners on the up(top)side of the down or Climashield.

Yet if the UQ is beneath the UC, it seems the UC would serve no purpose at all.
    It will serve as an excellent VB for the down UQ, increasing it's warmth rating and keeping it dry. And it will continue to serve it's normal function for everything above the UQ.

I've got my eye on a new UQ, but it seems like I'd be wasting the SS that I've already invested in... am I missing something?
    Maybe not, people have successfully used and UQ added to a HHSS both inside the UC and more commonly outside, to boost the HHSS by a lot. You can experiment by adding whatever you already have, that you are not planning to sleep in ( jackets/vests, insulated pants light sleeping bags or quilts) whatever you have, down into the UC. You will be surprised how much this can add. Of course, if you want to wrap a quilt around the outside, you will have to get a quilt and try it.

If you are looking for a little more warmth for low cost/bulk/weight, see if HH still sells the kidney/torso pads, which roughly double the pad thickness right where you need it most.

Images
    One can never have enough gear. Sooner or later another hammock arrives....

I also have both the SS and UQ (and pads). Using both will keep you warmer in lower temps, and your questions along with BillyBob's answers are valid. In any insulating system (pads, quilts, clothing, etc...) we are always trying to find the most effecient "stack". It gives us another reason to hang for "research and testing purposes".

Are you looking to hang in colder temps or just want to try something new?

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Are you looking to hang in colder temps or just want to try something new?
    A little of both... my current cold weather setup (below 32*F) is to insert my 40* TQ between the UC and the SS pad... then use a Big Agnes 15* as sleeping bag inside the hammock (with option of the insulated air core in the sleeping bag). I haven't tested this system below 24*F.

Above 32*F, the normal SS pad, space blanket, and UC seems to work just fine with only my 40*F TQ inside the hammock as a traditional TQ.

I'm trying to stretch my existing gear for a wide range of temps, but I'm thinking a true UQ would really give me more options for less effort.... and you always need more gear!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Supershelter, MSS
    Anyone try adding a usgi poncho liner? I have several and I'm going to give it a try.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the SS and just ordered a custom winter under quilt from underquilts.com. The SS will get used from early spring to late fall when the lows are around -5*C or warmer. The UQ will come out when it gets colder, and should keep me toasty to -50*C. Hopefully I can test that out during a hang about 500km North of here next winter.

• + New Posts