Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

Design of new hammock

Now that I've cleared up my questions of what material I, in fact, have, I'd like to vet the design with you guys.

I'm going to make a two ply hammock with a bug net.

A while back Neo, when he was in his "jungle hammock phase", bought an Asian made jungle hammock. the link is to a thread about it, with pictures.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hammock&page=4
    This unit had 'rope through the pocket ends' . With all the attention on this site given to whipping technique, that seemed rude and crude to me. But Neo liked it fine.

Then I got a test hammock, which is made the same way. It's still hanging on the back porch and has become my "Nap Hammock" (a retirement benefit <G>). The more I use it , the more I like it. The hanging ends are dirt simple, much less "fiddley" that the whipping method, IMHO.

So, back to the present: My material is one piece, 24 feet long. I'm going to hem both long sides, double it up and fold over the ends, reinforcing the outer edges with 1 inch strap and sewing a 1 1/2 inch pocket (I will copy the construction of the test hammock, with three passes of stitching).

The bug net design is still up in the air.

In one idea, I would make the bug net the same size as the hammock panels then add ties to hold it up off of me. (Like Neo's jungle hammock)With that design, I can flip the net to the bottom and not use it when bugs are not a problem.

In the second idea, I would follow risk's "quarter hammock" design
    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm
    and the bug net would be a flap, that goes over the ridge line when needed. But, what do you do with it when it's not needed??

I hope this description is clearer than mud. I will try to clarify as required.

Thanks
    Grinder?Tom

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm in the same boat you're in. I've come up with a unique and new hammock design (I'll post on that later, when I can hang it and get up some pictures) - but struggling with what I want for bug netting. It is also a double layer hammock, with a structural ridgeline.

Here's a thought, using the "quarter hammock" as a basis. Make the bugnet about the same, but add some nylon to the loose end and make a long pocket, maybe 6" deep (and maybe sew some lines to turn it into 4 or so pockets). Put some gear or clothes in those pockets to hold it down ( I think risk did this on one model). This way you're using weight you already have with you, or you can toss a couple small rocks or other items from the ground in the pockets and leave them when you pack up.

On the "what to do when not using it" issue, when you sew the bugnet on the one side, also add a few inches of ribbon every few feet, maybe 6" hanging inside and the same on the outside - so you can roll it up and tie it off. Just let it flop down on the outside of the hammock once tied up.

There's also a photo that seems interesting on Just Jeff's site (about half way down) showing a Speer bugnet system that can be tied to the ridgeline when not in use. That system uses velcro to attach to hammock sides, but I think it may work without the velcro and integrate the pocket ideas (or risk's quarters) on both sides, making it completely removable, and giving you access to both sides more easily.

Hope any of that made sense. Update this with what you decide. I've got a few more months before the black flies arrive to figure my bug net issues out.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I like the same style as mirage and vicks on the same Jeff's page. Probably a bit heavier but extremely conveinent and you can enter from either side. Very easy to make and attach. Will fit any gathered end style hammoch too.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl &amp; Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD &amp; Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Tom,

Best I can tell the Claytor has everything you describe.
    Bug net (sipper one side, shock cord to pull it up) and double bottom and stitched end pockets. If I don’t need bug net, I hang hammock normal, insert foam pad and/or fleece and/or bag between bottoms then flip hammock one-eighty to put net between hammock and ground. Once flipped adjust bugnet shock cord to keep net off ground. Get in, adjust top insulation and look at the stars or tarp.

Although I have not tried this yet I think the inverted bugnet (with stronger shock cord) would support an underquilt.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

I am pleased with mine.
    John

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up, TWS. Please tell me more (or refer to a page with pictures) about the details of this "adjustable shock cord for bug net".

That sounds like the missing piece of my puzzle.

Thanks in advance.
    Grinder
    Last edited by Grinder; 01-31-2009 at 09:04. Reason: added a line

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl &amp; Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD &amp; Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Grinder,

With hammock open flat, bug net is rectangle same size as bottom.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    TWS,
    Thanks "I can see clearly now"

That's the direction I'll take

Grinder

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    In the second idea, I would follow risk's "quarter hammock" design
    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm
    and the bug net would be a flap, that goes over the ridge line when needed. But, what do you do with it when it's not needed??
    I've made several hammocks with this bug net design (big thanks to Risk and his great site) mostly because I thought it would be the easiest. Instead of sewing it on, I sewed velcro all along one side edge of the hammock, and the opposing piece of velcro on the edge of the bug netting. This makes it very easy to remove the netting completely when you want to, or even remove and put it on another hammock that is equipped with the needed velcro.

BTW, I have found that this type of set up works really well. It's so simple, easy to get in and out of the hammock and no zippers to mess with. I just sewed little pockets on the outside flap edge of the netting and pick up a few stones to put in them for counter weights. As you move around and adjust yourself in the hammock, the netting adjusts with you and the weights keep everything tight. The ends get sealed very well with snake skins, and it stays pretty tight against the edge of the hammock. Crude but simple.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    The Risk design is looking more attractive by the minute.

Sewing netting (chiffon) onto nylon is quite a trick. I got the long edge done. Then, while sewing across the top, things got hairy. I immediately recalled a warning somewhere that it would be a good idea to practice this first. (DOH!!)

On my way to get a seam ripper and retreat.<G>(sigh)

Grinder

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    An update:

I finished the hammock in the "Risk" style. It hangs and lays just fine with the Claytor style end treatment (rope through folded and sewed ends. With three rows of stitching, there is no hint of weakness.

You can tell the 48 inch width versus the 60 in. I'm used to, but it's okay.

I put a ridge line in and the netting swings over okay. with weights it would work fine

Re. Sewing netting and ripstop together:
    I've been practicing and the secret seems to be using the iron on hem tape. Once I ironed the two layers of nylon together and then ironed the chiffon on, sewing was no problem.

I suspect that the stuff I see on commercial tents that I always thought had to do with seam sealing is hemming glue tape. FYI my iron was set below synthetics temperature.

I will be installing a zipper, now that I have a chance of successfully sewing one in.

The naked hammock, with two layers and netting weighed a bit over 1 lb. ( in the 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 area on the fish weighing scale.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast