Darien UL, WBBB
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I liked the bottom entry HH, but other parts of the kit didn't fix my needs.

I still think the HH is a great product and an excellent place to start. With the hammock forums you can make any improvements and modifications you need and branch out when you have a better idea of what you are looking for.

If I'm not mistaken HH still get snapped up pretty fast in the for sale thread, lots of people like them.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Nice hammock

I have a bottom loader and enjoy it! I will admit though, that I upgraded to a Clark NX 250. I like them both. I think of the Hennessy as my summer hammock. the only mods I have done to either of them is to add Whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Love my hennessy. I've used the stock tarp several times, twice in moderate rain. My foot got a little wet in the rain. I bought the hex tarp but haven't used it yet. It's Huge. Once you take it out the little bag, forget getting it back in. I stuff it in one of the green bags from Walmart.
    I'm 6'02 and use the expedition asym. I should have gotten the longer one, but the store didn't have it when I bought it. I haven't modified it yet, but after having it a year I think I'm going to put the Whoopie slings on it. The slings will make it easier to hang and center the hammock.

I bought an ENO, only for a winter hammock since it has no bug net. It's so much smaller packed, and I can use the hennessy hex tarp with it. But now that it's spring, the Hennessy will come out again.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok, I'm a big guy (6'2" and 250lb) so looking at the HHExplorer Deluxe. I like the idea of a bottom entrance, but will it really hold me? Has anyone fallen through the cracks?

I wish I could buy all different hammocks, because many have so many cool features, but the HH seems to be a great deal for them money, and I just got my REI dividend and a 20% off coupon...

I am planning on using my REI pad, probably with an ENO hot holder.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cv66seabear View Post
    Ok, I'm a big guy (6'2" and 250lb) so looking at the HHExplorer Deluxe. I like the idea of a bottom entrance, but will it really hold me? Has anyone fallen through the cracks?

I wish I could buy all different hammocks, because many have so many cool features, but the HH seems to be a great deal for them money, and I just got my REI dividend and a 20% off coupon...

I am planning on using my REI pad, probably with an ENO hot holder.
    You would have to work really, really hard to fall out through the bottom entry. All the vendors are pretty conservative in their weight estimates and the Explorer Deluxe is listed at 300 pounds

My brother is about 6'4" and is over 270lb. He spent the night in my Expedition and loved it. Only issue he had was that he would have liked it a bit longer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    You would have to work really, really hard to fall out through the bottom entry. All the vendors are pretty conservative in their weight estimates and the Explorer Deluxe is listed at 300 pounds

My brother is about 6'4" and is over 270lb. He spent the night in my Expedition and loved it. Only issue he had was that he would have liked it a bit longer.
    That and you'd probably have to lay in it backwards...really don't see you doing that.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cv66seabear View Post
    I'm 6'-4" and 215 lbs... the Explorer Deluxe is plenty roomy, and I don't see how anyone could fall through the crack. On the HH video, Tom implies that you can just put your feet on either side of the crack and it will self open. Mine certainly doesn't do that... once the velcro is closed, I have to hand rip the velcro open to exit the hammock... I actually like this added feeling of security.

Don't let your size concern you about this hammock.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    I'm 6'-4" and 215 lbs... the Explorer Deluxe is plenty roomy, and I don't see how anyone could fall through the crack. On the HH video, Tom implies that you can just put your feet on either side of the crack and it will self open. Mine certainly doesn't do that... once the velcro is closed, I have to hand rip the velcro open to exit the hammock... I actually like this added feeling of security.

Don't let your size concern you about this hammock.
    6'02 and 210. Never felt like I might fall through. The split winds up below the knees when you are inside laying down. It's not all the way across the hammock. And I have to half sit up and pull it open with my hands, then stick out my legs. There's a real giving birth look and feel to it. It never looks that big outside, but very roomy inside.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    We have a family member a little taller and heavier, he has used mine several times without a problem, no falls, no damage to the fabric that I can see. Yes, I am a picky person and everything looks AOkay.

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's really an interesting idea, and keeping skeeters and ice flies out is a priority!
    Thanks once again for the info! Can't wait for my first hang!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234