11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: buyer's remorse

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you've had said on this thread.

I used my stock HH Explorer Deluxe for over a year without modding anything at first. It worked just fine that way.

Then I started looking at making incremental changes to simplify hanging it...first went with biners/rings, which worked fine, then eventually to whoopie slings.

I too love the bottom entry for climbing into the hammock during mosquito season, or in storms where I have the tarp pitched tight to keep the wind/rain out.

But I've found that I also love having the 2QZQ mod and being able to reach in/out of the hammock on either side works well too.

Get it, use it...and as you've heard, figure out for yourself what you want to change over time...if anything.
    +1

I used my HH bottom entry for 2 years stock. Then moved to whoopies. It was headed to 2qzq, until I drank the Warbonnet Coolaid, never really as happy with the lay of the BB compared to my HH Explorer Deluxe. Regret selling my HH. Only reason for getting a zipper mod for me was lounging around and UQ adjustments. Would leave the bottom entry in place and use it most of the time unless lounging or doing camp chores.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

buyer's remorse

We have four HH and love them. So far we have only upgraded to whoopies, new tree straps and hex tarps. My youngest has the bottom entry and enjoys being 'birthed' every morning. Lol

Like everyone said, enjoy what you got. You won't regret it and mods are generally easy, and fun.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    You'll be fine, and keep your excitement going.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I purchased the same model you did for my first hammock. I did not like the looks of the fabric or the color. It sat for two years, then I listed it on Craigslist, it sold after two weeks (I did not know about Hammock Forums at the time, so Craigslist is where I sold it.

I then purchased a Explorer, I liked the color and fabric better. It is hard to know what you like until you try it out. Fabric, color, suspension and unfortunately advertising all play a part in deciding what we like.

As our taste matures we want different things. For me I want light, smaller, a certain color, I really hate the bug net, that I really wanted in the beginning. All sorts of things, that experience has shown me that I prefer.

That is why we buy so many different types of gear.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    it's not a bad setup for the money ... and it's a nice First hammock
    i would however get the zipper mod... it makes it a whole new hammock and much easier to use with a UQ

it was my first hammock as well
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    They're great hammocks still love mine! Whoopie slings are the best easy change, and make set up way faster, and easier with less weight. I swapped mine for about 20-25 bucks with biners and worth more in functional value to me, the rest just comes from experience in the woods and choosing what you like. Don't have to go off and customize right away, give it time to settle in.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    No worries. Just learn how to do a Siberian/Evenk Hitch because it is faster and easier than Hennessy's instructions on the figure-8.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by larryp09 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think I am going to like it. Planning on a number of solo hikes this year and thinking that this is the way to go.

I got the bottom entry. Im only 5'8" so it should provide plenty of room.
    The bottom entry has some distinct advantages. Being 6'1" I have always used the longer Explorer UL ( as well as many other hammocks ) and it is still a favorite. In fact, I will sleep in it tonight. If you are using the small, uber-light, 2 stake only HH tarp, you will appreciate both the HH Super Shelter with lots of extra wind and rain protection. And the bottom entry allows you to avoid scraping the tarp when it is wet from dew or fog or condensation and you have it pulled down tight in storm pitch mode. And the bottom entry is the quickest way to escape mosquitoes, IMO.

But, it is wonderful to be able to reach out of the hammock to grap something on the ground or to adjust a jacket added to the HHSS for extra warmth. So if it hasn't shipped, you might consider having it shipped to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. Even the smallest one would be very convenient just to reach out. Or, you might just want to do it later.

Just expect a learning curve and don't get discouraged. It is a very good hammock.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ Stock HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest golite4
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopies
    Have had my expedition HH for two years now and love it. I was alittle over whelmed when I discovered HF and all the mods here but just took it in stride and kept mine stock. I have just added whoopies and plan on a 2qzq mod 4 to make it easier to use during winter hangs.
    Enjoy your HH.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks

buyer's remorse

Don't worry about it. Get plenty of good nights hanging then you'll know what you want to tweak!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast