Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe #4 2QZQ Mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I had my Explorer Deluxe 8+ years before I even thought of any modification and it served me well the entire time. The changes I made was for the conditions in which I hang. Everyone has different requirements of what they want in hanging, the first few hangs will be an adjustment to get comfortable with it after that you won't be disappointed.
    "Patient's" wasn't born with it, just came with age.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think the biggest buyers remorse is when they mod the heck out of something and then try to sell it.

There is a cadre of folks here typical of any gear group that starts planning modifications while waiting for delivery. They are sometimes more into mods than use but very vocal about "how they improved" the product that was fine to start with. These folks are always changing what they have and trying to sell off what they "fixed" so they can get something new to work on. In the meantime most users buy a product and just use it with no bad results. It's all mindset. Are you a user or tinkerer.

There are also folks very vocal about certain changes like adding whoopee's. Some folks like them and some do not. Ditto straps. Ditto knots. You need to figure out where you fall out. The good news is that for suspension mods buy a couple of descender rings or use a couple of biners if you have them and just tie the hennesy line to them close the the hammock body. Attach any other suspension there and you can return to original with ease. Try them and live with them a bit then see if you really want them.

You can change tarps with minimal fuss. Save the original and you can go back to it if you want to.

Well done zipper mods are marketable but before I paid to make the bug net removable I would make another hammock with no bug net. Cheaper, easier, lighter, simpler etc. OTOH one of the big pains with a bottom entry is adjusting stuff in the head end peak. A ZQ mod 1 or side zip are handy.

The one thing I would only do as a last move is remove the stock suspension at the hammock. That changes everything with a very minimal weight saving. As far as I am concerned you trashed the hammock. Other folks disagree. My point is that you need to be sure what you want before you break it.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Come to think of it, I was happy with my stock HH

until I discovered HF. Then I branched out into modifications and other brands of hammocks!

HF is apparently the source of my discontent!

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
    I had my Explorer Deluxe 8+ years before I even thought of any modification and it served me well the entire time. The changes I made was for the conditions in which I hang. Everyone has different requirements of what they want in hanging, the first few hangs will be an adjustment to get comfortable with it after that you won't be disappointed.
    WOW! 8 years with the same HH, and stock/original? Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    until I discovered HF. Then I branched out into modifications and other brands of hammocks!

HF is apparently the source of my discontent!

Jim
    LOL! I think there is a lot of truth in that. I've said for a long time that if I had not learned about all of these other hammocks and all the accessories to go with them, and don't forget the mods, that I would still be totally happy with my original HH Explorer UL with the HHSS. On my first two different week long trips to the mountains with that set up, I had no complaints and was thrilled with my comfort. I did some serious sleeping and managed to stay warm and dry. Not counting the first horrible night- but hey, for me there was a learning curve, and there was no one to ask out in the middle of the Wind Rivers in WY!

Still, all the rest has been a lot of fun. It is just fun for me to play with this stuff, and I have learned a bunch of little tricks here. Some of my other hammocks have had some various comfort advantages over my original, but usually at some other cost or tradeoff in either comfort or function or weight etc. My original HH and method of insulation still remains quite competitive overall.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Standard
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Standard
    Good stuff!

I guess its a non issue until I get a feel for what I like/don't like. And, who knows, maybe I will end preferring the rocks and the sticks over hanging from a tree.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We got our first two Hennessys last summer. We have 5 now. One for each member of the family. Two of them we added descender rings and biners to. The others are still stock and will likely remain that way for quite a while. We've added one larger tarp, and will probably get another, but that's for sitting outside during the rain. We haven't had issues with the stock tarps during very heavy windy rain.

wow, I'm happy i came across this thread. I've been thinking about getting a HH for over a month now. i keep going back and forth on whether or not to start hammock camping and whether to go for Hennessy or something else. after reading everyone's post on here i have decided to go with the HH Expedition zip. with any luck i'll be picking it up by the end of may and hanging in april.
    Thanks everybody

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Ever tried a bottom entry?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 40 degree
    Suspension
    HH w/ garda hitch
    My hh is the same as you ordered except it's zip entry. I added rings and Biners but that is it. Been hangin for almost 3 years in it and it is great for me.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym,USMC Tarp
    Suspension
    Beeners and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think the biggest buyers remorse is when they mod the heck out of something and then try to sell it.

There is a cadre of folks here typical of any gear group that starts planning modifications while waiting for delivery. They are sometimes more into mods than use but very vocal about "how they improved" the product that was fine to start with. These folks are always changing what they have and trying to sell off what they "fixed" so they can get something new to work on. In the meantime most users buy a product and just use it with no bad results. It's all mindset. Are you a user or tinkerer.

There are also folks very vocal about certain changes like adding whoopee's. Some folks like them and some do not. Ditto straps. Ditto knots. You need to figure out where you fall out. The good news is that for suspension mods buy a couple of descender rings or use a couple of biners if you have them and just tie the hennesy line to them close the the hammock body. Attach any other suspension there and you can return to original with ease. Try them and live with them a bit then see if you really want them.

You can change tarps with minimal fuss. Save the original and you can go back to it if you want to.

Well done zipper mods are marketable but before I paid to make the bug net removable I would make another hammock with no bug net. Cheaper, easier, lighter, simpler etc. OTOH one of the big pains with a bottom entry is adjusting stuff in the head end peak. A ZQ mod 1 or side zip are handy.

The one thing I would only do as a last move is remove the stock suspension at the hammock. That changes everything with a very minimal weight saving. As far as I am concerned you trashed the hammock. Other folks disagree. My point is that you need to be sure what you want before you break it.
    Well Said!!Couldn't have said it better. I have been noticing the same thing!
    Luck is the meeting of Destiny and Hard Work.......................................

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast