DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie

Winter Tarp for Bridge Hammock

I'd like to get a winter tarp to use with my double layer bridge hammock in the winter. I've been thinking that I could use a 10x11' tarp with Grip Clips to keep the tarp away from the spreader bars.

I've noticed that both the JRB 11x10 cat tarp and the Speer Winter Tarp are on sale. They look substantially the same. But one thing I can't tell from the pictures is whether they are both set up the same with with regards to where the "doors" are. One of the pictures at JRB made it look like to have doors you had to hang with a 10' ridgeline and get really tall doors. The SWT seems to have the doors the other way. Am I wrong about that?

Any bridge users want to opine on which would work better with a bridge hammock?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    I'd like to get a winter tarp to use with my double layer bridge hammock in the winter. I've been thinking that I could use a 10x11' tarp with Grip Clips to keep the tarp away from the spreader bars.

I've noticed that both the JRB 11x10 cat tarp and the Speer Winter Tarp are on sale. They look substantially the same. But one thing I can't tell from the pictures is whether they are both set up the same with with regards to where the "doors" are. One of the pictures at JRB made it look like to have doors you had to hang with a 10' ridgeline and get really tall doors. The SWT seems to have the doors the other way. Am I wrong about that?

Any bridge users want to opine on which would work better with a bridge hammock?
    That would be me <grin>
    You are correct in seeing that "doors" orientation with the JRB tarp gives you a 10' ridgeline.

I don't have a SWT, but have seen it, looks like a very nice tarp.

With my JRB tarp I've done both the 11' ridgeline and 10' ridgeline, and like having the option either way.

My favored configuration of late is to "seal" the foot end edge, along the edge, with grip clips, and pull out the sides at the foot end also with grip clips. BillyBob58 just discovered this also, there's a post within the last few days. Point the sealed end into the wind. Leaves the head end open, but you're still well covered on 3 sides.

Last weekend at Mt. Rogers we had pretty high winds one night...my trees shook, but I was in my tarp cave out of the breeze. As I was using the 11' ridgeline, exactly the same technique would work with the SWT.

Grizz

• + New Posts