Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft tubes ?

Draft tubes ?

Has any one experimented (or produced ) an Under quilt with draft tubes ? Seen a few threads discussing getting a good fit around the perimeter of the hammock .Wondering out loud if this is a solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by howiez3 View Post
    Has any one experimented (or produced ) an Under quilt with draft tubes ? Seen a few threads discussing getting a good fit around the perimeter of the hammock .Wondering out loud if this is a solution ?
    Yes, the Warbonnet UQ's have draft tubes at each end, at least the synthetic one I have does, Brandon would have to address whether the Yeti does or not.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Yetis have big ol fat draft tubes. Nothing gets past them; don't eat Taco Bell!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Geez! I was recently pondering draft tubes in a quilt, although I hadn't come up with that name for them... you guys think of everything!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    they're just on the end edges. they seem to do a good job of closing a small gap (like an inch or so). the uq will still need to fit snug in the interior of the uq as well. if it's baggy, it can still lose heat even if it's sealed well around the edges so watch for that too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The Yetis have big ol fat draft tubes.
    Here is a pic of my down Yeti...the draft tubes can be seen on the ends under the shock cord

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Geez! I was recently pondering draft tubes in a quilt, although I hadn't come up with that name for them... you guys think of everything!
    I had this Yeti at the Mt Rogers hang...you could have inspected it (if we had only knew...)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I was thinking last night about an UQ with draft tubes. I am planning on making an UQ with differential baffles and I can't quite figure out how to get the bathtub shape and have differential baffles like the snugfit does. I have thought about the putting pleats and darts on the top and bottom but coming up with the right dimentions top and bottom is mind blowing. However what if you had a regular differential baffled quilt and then had a draft tube around the perimeter. Kind of like a reverse differential baffle that went around the outside and then put pleats on the corners.I know I am just rambling and noone can see the picture I have in my mind, but a couple weeks from now I will have it done and you can remember it was this dicussion that spurred the draft tube idea.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Here is a pic of my down Yeti...the draft tubes can be seen on the ends under the shock cord

I had this Yeti at the Mt Rogers hang...you could have inspected it (if we had only knew...)
    That Yeti looks mega-sweet, any opinions on a possible low temp with it? What is it's approximate loft?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    That Yeti looks mega-sweet, any opinions on a possible low temp with it? What is it's approximate loft?
    The discussion thread for the Yeti is here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    My first review is here

I used it at Mt Rogers
    night 1 was 28-30*F w/20-25 mph wind...no problems staying warm
    night 2 was low of 10*F rising to approx 20*F by daybreak. Had a little cold butt issue but put another layer of insulation at my butt (my hat) and fixed it.

I was using a 30*F sleeping bag as a top quilt, the Yeti, a full length ccf pad (doubled under my legs), and my DIY hammock and I no issues (I had to adjust the suspension of the Yeti to fit my hammock but it was expected) I took a temp reading under my TQ and was reading 82*F almost too hot!

I'm very happy with the performance, weight and compressibility of the Yeti.

I think draft tubes do a great job of stopping "cold air creep"
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast