I have a Hennessy

I have a Hennessy, first camping hammock ever. I have used it a few times, but my legs cramp up in it and I dont know if its right for me. So I so I bought a blackbird (still waiting on it) and I will see how that goes.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Well as long as you are laying diagonally then you might need to toss a jacket or pillow under your knees to relieve the hyperextension. I am assuming it is your calfs that are cramping.

The blackbird "may" relieve some of this pain, but you will probably find yourself in about the same boat as me someday. I am considering getting a bridge hammock at some point for a truly flat lay...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Could also be dependent on your height and the model Hennessey you have.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    You may just need to give the HH to me

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    have you tried making the leg end higher than the head end?

I put the leg end higher and it is noticeably more comfortable for me.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!

I have a Hennessy

I have to alternate crossing my ankles during the night. I need to try the pillow/clothes under the knees. I still need to cross them in the WB... Good luck.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Btw if you still can't get comfy in a wbbb, pm me and I will give you a rewhipping instruction which will elevate your knees and prevent that hyperextension all together. I would seriously try the pillow under the knees prior to writing me though.

Just so you know, I sleep in my hammock every night and all I did to eliviate the pain was to rewhip my bias wwm. Worked like a charm.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Btw if you still can't get comfy in a wbbb, pm me and I will give you a rewhipping instruction which will elevate your knees and prevent that hyperextension all together. I would seriously try the pillow under the knees prior to writing me though.

Just so you know, I sleep in my hammock every night and all I did to eliviate the pain was to rewhip my bias wwm. Worked like a charm.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edSailor View Post
    I have a Hennessy, first camping hammock ever. I have used it a few times, but my legs cramp up in it and I dont know if its right for me. So I so I bought a blackbird (still waiting on it) and I will see how that goes.
    That WBBB may or may not make the leg comfort better. How about some more details on the leg discomfort?

Are you talking about leg cramps in both legs, exercise related? Is this after a long day hiking?

Are you talking about your knees being bent in the wrong direction, AKA over extended? Either a pillow under your knees or maybe a different hammock, particularly a bridge hammock solves this issue, but has it's own issues. Pros and cons.

Or are you referring to the infamous calf pressure in one leg when trying to lay diagonal across the foot end center ridge that forms in most ( all? ) non-bridge hammocks? Some hammocks are a lot worse than others for this, but all non-bridge that I have ever tried have this tendency at least a little. Though in a few I can completely avoid it by finding the sweet spot and hanging the hammock just right. Once again, a fluffy something under the knees can be a big help, and hanging the foot higher ( a little or a lot) seems to help me. And again, a bridge hammock has none of this.

I will most def try the pillow or jacket under my knees if all else fails, Fish ill get the rewhipping instructions from you. Thanks for all the input!

• + New Posts