Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Sat+Sun March 30-31

Here is the link to AT parking. We will use one of these areas.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...0&sectionID=60

We have choices.
    All cars park in same location : hike in and back. Hike 3in+3out; or more 5in+5out. Somewhere in between.
    Or : Go in one end out the other 11.5miles.

Sending PMs.

Called Fahnestock, we can not park in the park.

G
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 03-26-2013 at 15:59.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    I'm still working on this one, but the weather did not seem to be cooperating. After I do the one in Harriman, has anyone ever heard of Castle Rock? That would be a nice place to hang.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

The Harriman Hang

A lot of you folks may be wondering why I have not set up the hang yet. I realize that many of you may be chomping at the bit to get out, but look what has happened. We got two snowstorms, high winds and a lot of rain. I was being patient because if you just run out you might get into trouble out there. Some of us may be equipped, but in a lot of cases some may not be. Anyway, I'll give you an old proverb that I usually go by "The patient goat will always win over the impatient ram".

I'm working on a date in April and will be posting it soon.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    A lot of you folks may be wondering why I have not set up the hang yet. I realize that many of you may be chomping at the bit to get out, but look what has happened. We got two snowstorms, high winds and a lot of rain. I was being patient because if you just run out you might get into trouble out there. Some of us may be equipped, but in a lot of cases some may not be. Anyway, I'll give you an old proverb that I usually go by "The patient goat will always win over the impatient ram".

I'm working on a date in April and will be posting it soon.
    There is another proverb... He who hesitates loses.

I am heading out to Harriman this weekend for a 15 miler. We are pretty much traversing the park from west to east on the ramapo dunderberg trail. I think we will be camping near William Bryan shelter. Let me know if you want me to do any reconnaissance for you. Keep in mind that black fly start to wake up in early may and sometimes earlier. I have found it better to stay at altitude or in windier spots during those months cause the little buggers can be annoying.

I look forward to hearing about your plans for this trip!
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    March30-31 JollyGreen and berksound joined Bob O and I for a rocky 3mile patch of NY Appalachian Trial.
    This connected two long section hikes of the AT for us.

This may be Bob O's last hike on the AT.
    Soon to be 79years old he is like the AT marker, the oldest in the picture below : Rusty but still hanging.
    He will be looking for long ridge hikes that can be driven to and hang. Currently the ups can be difficult for him .

Berksound Beth and JollyGreen Jeff made it a particularly nice hike. JollyGreen even carried Bob's pack for some terrain.

Love the winter woods ! Ready to go back for the greening !

G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 04-02-2013 at 19:26.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

Red Flag Warning

You people must think I've been fooling around maybe? There has now been a RED FLAG warning in NY State. That means that the chance of forest and brush fires is very high. It would be a good idea for everyone to stay out of the woods for a while. Trust me, I almost got caught in one on a ridge once.

As for this: There is another proverb... He who hesitates loses.

Sometimes I've found that it was worth it. My hesitation had turned out to be an asset at times. I won't elaborate on that here. Maybe during the hang when I finally give the go ahead and the date.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

Exclamation

There have been many brush fires in the New York/New Jersey area as of the past few days due to the dry conditions. What does this have to do with hammocking? You could become a hanging barbeque! Once the conditions change I will be setting the date for the hang. As for those of you that would still go, you do so at your own risk. Do not make campfires, use a stove and above all, just eat cold foods. It may even be difficult to find water in some places, but I know haw to find it if I did need it badly enough in Harriman.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post
    March30-31 JollyGreen and berksound joined Bob O and I for a rocky 3mile patch of NY Appalachian Trial.

Soon to be 79years old he is like the AT marker, the oldest in the picture below : Rusty but still hanging.
    He will be looking for long ridge hikes that can be driven to and hang. Currently the ups can be difficult for him .

Berksound Beth and JollyGreen Jeff made it a particularly nice hike. JollyGreen even carried Bob's pack for some terrain.

G
    Thanks for the pics! Looks like a good hike was had by all! God bless him at 79. I hope he can continue on into his 80's. There are a few like him out there, many I know from the Appalachian Mountain Club - some quite old and quite fit hikers (minus the knee issues) who take care of themselves and get out on a regular basis.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post

G
    I had a great time on this sweet little overnighter. We hiked this little section out and back, doing almost 5 miles the first day, looking for hang sites on the way out. We ended up hanging at almost the first site we liked, below an old beaver dam in a little hemlock grove. Fell asleep to the sounds of the creek and falls below the dam.

Jolly Green, G Hawk, and BobO(Scout78) are all more experienced than I, and I learned things from each one of them, especially Bob. He had great stories from years of hiking and mentoring scouts, and gave me many quiet tips along the trail and in camp. A treasure of a hiker who I spent a mere 24 hours with, and will remember for the rest of my life.

G hawk tutored me on my hiking poles and watched me get more comfortable with them and now finally I can I say I view them as indispensible tools and not hindrances. My knees now really love them on downhills. More points of contact, yayy!

Jolly Green was our hero on the way out, hiking fast the last mile+ out in the am and coming back for BobOs 25 lbs of pack. He and Bob finished out together, male bonding while G Hawk and I chatted at the rear.

I felt good about my pack weight of 16 lbs with consumables (about 2 lbs of food and 72 oz. of water), and when I got home I shaved 8 oz. out of my ditty bag and bits based on what I had not been using the last 2 hikes. But then I ordered 2 hip belt pockets (.7oz each)from Gossamer and a set of tarp skins from WL (1.2 oz) to replace My shredded DIY scrubbie snakeskins.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast