Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    gotcha Thanks for the tip, I would have skipped the net

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Spray it outdoors, and let it dry outdoors. Don't breath the stuff. Don't let cats, birds, or fish near it until it's dry. Permethrin works great.
    Yeah, I learned this the hard way. Sprayed some gear outside, and let my fish out for a walk a few minutes later. He wasn't even close to the stuff, but I guess it gets in the air or something. After just a few seconds he was flopping all over the ground and gasping for air. I think it causes an alergic reaction or someting. Poor fishie.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Yeah, I learned this the hard way. Sprayed some gear outside, and let my fish out for a walk a few minutes later. He wasn't even close to the stuff, but I guess it gets in the air or something. After just a few seconds he was flopping all over the ground and gasping for air. I think it causes an alergic reaction or someting. Poor fishie.
    Sorry to hear about the untimely demise of your Snakehead.

Hammock
    HH HLB A-Sym
    Insulation
    REI Travelsack
    Images

So, there is no degradation of the hammock material?

It's no big deal if a shirt is not quite as strong after a permethrin treatment, but I'm sort of concerned about material that needs to be tough and strong (like hammock parts). I've bought the stuff but have been holding back on using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    It's no big deal if a shirt is not quite as strong after a permethrin treatment, but I'm sort of concerned about material that needs to be tough and strong (like hammock parts). I've bought the stuff but have been holding back on using it.
    I have no idea if this is true for sure but I suspect not. I've treated my two hammocks and my daughter's but we weigh 165# and 125#(respectively) so that may not mean anything. I used to hose everything with permethrin in the army, never had a problem with it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    It doesn't have any noticeable affect on the material. I've used permethrin on my hammocks for a while with no ill-effect.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't think you have anything to worry about as far is it adversely affecting materials. It's not caustic like DEET. It does, however, work wonders, at least in my experience. Without it I look like I get what I call skeeter rash (patches that have been hit repeatedly by skeeters all night long). With it, I don't have any problems.

I just hang my clothes and hammock up outside and saturate everything. I was on a hike back in Sept and guys that didn't use it were also covered with chigger bites and I didn't have a single one. Permethrin rocks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've used permethrin on all my hammocks almost since day one (2+ years). I use it on all my gear (everything fabric cause I'm hopin it works on spiders too!). Started this hangin thing while living in Florida, I can tell you without any doubt this stuff works. I've never, ever, had it degrade any of my gear. It doesn't hurt natural or synthetic fibers that I can tell. I reapplied it every 4 or 5 weeks on the AT and that hammock is still used with no worries.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    At the risk of opening a whole can of worms, seemingly in jeopardy of surviving with Permethrin in the picture, the following bears some attention:
    http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...report/cox.htm

I recognize the risk of insects and spiders and ticks. I also would not sleep well knowing this stuff was on my gear and I don't want to contribute to more of it being produced and introduced into the environment.

Now, I don't want to get into a big heated debate about it. It is personal choice. I choose not to use it. I don't think it makes much sense given the environmental impact it has. I do however take precautions. Just not this option.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    canobie- I'm with you on the environmental impact. However, I believe that article was written based on ariel application, not about the transfer of properties in relation to the dried residue. They speak of 'blowback' and such in the write-up which is what leads me to that belief.

You are not alone in your concerns. I've seen this article a few times during discussions of permethrin.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast