not sure yet, have EN single
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Speer/under & over
    Suspension
    make/shift 1" flat

No Guess Work or Trials please

New B to Hammocks. I purchased a Eagle Nest complete package. It seems that most serious hangers dont talk much about the Eagle Nest. I have heaved money on things I thought would work and guess what..? Well any hooo I cant afford to purchase another type or name brand for now. I basically want to be squared away for RAIN and Cold with a additional Tarp deal'e. I have a 25x77 Therm-A-Pad (green one) to slip in the works now. Will that help for warmth and will it stay put and not slip and slide all night long? errr. I suppose cooking in the Rain will be a experience.. I pack up my KLR Kawasaki and Camp/Fish.. this is a ramble ramble of the unknown.. Dave in Pa

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eight_knots View Post
    New B to Hammocks. I purchased a Eagle Nest complete package. It seems that most serious hangers dont talk much about the Eagle Nest. I have heaved money on things I thought would work and guess what..? Well any hooo I cant afford to purchase another type or name brand for now. I basically want to be squared away for RAIN and Cold with a additional Tarp deal'e. I have a 25x77 Therm-A-Pad (green one) to slip in the works now. Will that help for warmth and will it stay put and not slip and slide all night long? errr. I suppose cooking in the Rain will be a experience.. I pack up my KLR Kawasaki and Camp/Fish.. this is a ramble ramble of the unknown.. Dave in Pa
    Welcome Mr. Eight-knots. The ENO line is a fine set of hammocks. I have a double, and enjoy the spaciousness of it. No worries for you on that score.

The Therma-a-Pad will definitely help with the bottom-side chill, although typically a pad in the hammock will not take you to the same temperatures that the same pad on the ground will---the air steals the heat from the bottom side faster. Whether it will slip and slide around too much is something you'll have to just try for yourself. My Therma-rest slips something fierce, but yours may be different.

If yours does slip, all is not lost. All you need to do is create a sort of "under-hammock" that you stick under your real one, and slip that pad between. The underhammock can be made out of cheap material, and the ropes that hold it in place don't have to be strong. It just has to let you make a Therma-a-pad sandwich.

on the tarp---since you're riding, weight is not the issue it is for those of us that haul stuff around by human locomotion. If you've got room, there's no need to get fancy. $40 at Campmor gets you as much tarp as you'll need for spring/summer/fall, 10'x10' coated 2.2 oz/sq-yd nylon. Twice the weight of a silnylon tarp of similar size, but less than 1/2 the cost.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-31-2009 at 18:34. Reason: tarp talk

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    eight knots... you are not terribly far from me. If you want to get together and ocmpare notes I'd be more than happy to do that. I don't have an ENO but I know people who do and are happy with them.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I agree, the Eagles Nest is a fine hammock, and if notorious Hooch uses one, they must be good. I have one myself. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    ENO's are great hammocks. Well made, durable, comfortable. I've spent lots of restful nights in mine.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Certainly, down to 40 degrees one closed cell pad is sufficient for almost everyone. I have to go back two years to remember details of the pad inside the hammock. I recall it being kind of hard to get settled. After that,no problem.

The concensus seems to favor an underquilt for hammocking. They are quite expensive (by my standards anyway) so I've always avoided that route.

Or see Speer's SPE (segmented Pad Extenders) It adds wings to a standard pad and is affordable.

I went with a two layer homemade hammock. search "risks zhammock"This put a layer of cloth between me and the pad and keeps it in place just fine. I also use another half pad at 90% under my torso. This eliminates cold spots on arms and shoulders.

If you put your sleeping bag on standing up next to the hammock and then sit and roll into the thing, it will eliminate a lot of frustrating squirming around while prone.

HTH

Grinder
    Another moto hanger
    Last edited by Grinder; 02-03-2009 at 12:49.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Which rain tarp of ENO did you get? Pro,Dryfly?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    You can't go wrong with an ENO. I have an ENO SingleNest with a FastFly that stays up in my backyard permanently. My wife and son enjoy it, too. Makes a great place to read!

Now...my Blackbird? No chance anyone but ME is using that baby!

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I agree, the Eagles Nest is a fine hammock, and if notorious Hooch uses one, they must be good. I have one myself. Mule
    i sold my henny, kept the ENO double. it is fine.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Love my TrekLights and ENO (same hammock). Very comfortable material and super strong. I use it sometimes when the temps are between warm and cold and the weather is clear. It's very nice not having a bugnet or a tarp on those clear nights.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts