DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link

Oregon State Forest, dispersed camping?

I was recently told by a coworker about Shellburg Falls in the Santiam Forest as being a great place to dayhike. So, I just started looking into the State Forest and it appears as though there are alot of areas in the Oregon State Forest that you can practice "dispersed camping". My question to everyone here is if you have done any of this camping in any of these forest? If you have, what are your thoughts on the suitability of doing so with my dog(s)?

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    State Forest, and BLM forest.. should be able to find two tree's set up Hammock, & camp.
    unless your in a area of that requires permits. Camping in only Designated spots. ( i Avoid those). I tend to go remote, away from campers. Like the coast range, drive old logging road, find a deep dark spur.. Camp. Or Way out in the desert Christmas Valley, set up Hammock stand to sleep.

if not posted, should be Free to camp anywhere. I think that is what your thinking.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    You hit the nail on the head Chug. The State's website said what you said almost exactly. I was just wondering about what experiences positive or negative anyone has had, and how well suited the remote areas are to taking a Lab or two/

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Should be no problem taking dogs, in those area's. If anything a good thing for early warnings. From critters or Two legged showing up. Oregon has over 6,000 Cougars. Having dog with yea is a good thing, not to mention. Fun for the dog's to explore new things.

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    If it were me, I'd bring a stakeout line to put my hounds on under the hammock so they don't go tearing off into the night after a deer, elk, bear, cougar, cat, etc.

But I have GSPs, which are notoriously reckless when it comes to chasing anything. One of my older dog's litter mates in Montana put a BIG momma bear and her cub up a tree a couple years ago while out for the evening potty break... the dog was 12 years old at the time and maybe #35. Mine don't go loose in the woods without a charged up electric collar as I'm always afraid they're going to take off or tangle up with something ornery. We've got very healthy populations of bear and cougar as well as a wolf pack that's moved in over the last decade. Some excitement I'm glad to miss out on!

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    In oregon there are some places that get closed or limited entry due to overuse. Just do your research and you should be fine.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    I've been looking at dispersed camping areas too...sounds like you just need to do your research on where you want to go and make sure you are following the rules...
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

• + New Posts