Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

XLC 1.1 DL - initial thoughts

I got my XLC late last week and had a chance to sleep in it this weekend at the Uwharrie group hang. Sorry, no pics.. I went to take pics, and realized I forgot the SD card (that makes 2 trips in a row).

I got the 1.1 DL net only (no top cover).

I'm 6'2" and also am the proud owner of the WBBB (which I am keeping for my wife) and my daughter has a Traveler.

My impressions...
    • The extra length definitely helped eliminate calf pressure. I really didn't have too much of a problem in the WBBB, but found the 11' to be even more accommodating.
    • The 'sweet spot' was easier to find.
    • Lying on my side, I definitely felt more room. With the original WBBB, I could still lay on my side, but it was more like laying 3/4th on my side. With the XLC, I was fully on my side and didn't feel cramped. I did not try sleeping on my stomach.
    • You have a better field of vision inside the hammock. Without the bug net, of course, it is much improved over the WBBB. With the bug net on, it is still better than the WBBB. None of the above match the Ridgerunner for views.
    • I like the option of going without the bug net/cover. It was a low of mid-30's here, and no need for the bug net, so I took it off. That is a nice option.
    • With the bug net & extra fabric for 11', the stuff sack is bigger than the WBBB. When I took off the bug net, though, it was same or slightly smaller (more like the Traveler).
    • When you remove the bug net, that also means you lose the shelf. Not really a problem for me, just be aware the shelf/bug net are one piece.
    • One slight critique.. with the WBBB, the zippers can be unzipped to each end of the hammock, allowing you to throw the bug net over the suspension & out of your line of site. With the XLC, the zipper starts/stops right around where my head was in the hammock. It slightly impeded my view when I had the bug net thrown over the ridgeline. Of course, for non-buggy situations you can just unzip the whole thing.
    • I may be in a small percentage of the population, but I liked the 11' XLC better than the RidgeRunner. This speaks partly to the lay of each, but also to the fact the tarp/UQ's I have fit gathered end hammocks, and it's like a swiss army knife where you can chose what options to carry with you.
    • If you are setting up the XLC, be sure to watch Brandon's videos on putting the foot end higher, and sleeping with your head more toward the end than in the WBBB.
    • The SuperFly covered the XLC just fine

A number of other hangers tried it out, and I think a general consensus was they liked the 11' vs. 10' & the additional sight lines (though not anywhere as good as the Ridgerunner). Some are now torn on whether to upgrade their WBBB to the WBRR or the XLC.

Ah, the conundrums of a hammocker.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Thanks so much to take the time to write that.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Yes, thank you for the write-up. Still waiting for mine. Hope you had a good time otherwise as well.

John

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very nice summary, this is one of the first I've seen of this depth. Thanks for sharing!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    TP;

Nice write up. I've yet to field test my XLC but looking forward to it. Although I never experienced the calf pressure that some have, I'm interested in seeing that the extra inches creates an even more comfortable lay. Thanks for the insight.....
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    BMBH UL/WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SF/ WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/DIY/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCR/Web
    Images
    Nice review... you are not helping me... I had just convinced myself that my 10' BB was just fine.... I may have to bite the bullet on that 11' especially after seeing it this weekend.

Hammock
    11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    TallPaul, a little help please

I Ordered an XLC, now trying to figure snake skin size for it before it arrives.
    couple of questions
    #1-How long is it end to end?
    #2-Since you have a WBBB would you say the XLC is about the same diameter as far as snake skin stuffing is concerned
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Been looking forward to seeing some opinions on these bad boys - thanks!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Twestered...
    WBBB -100"
    WB XLC - 110"

That was measured laying flat on the ground. I wasn't pulling on it or anything, but had it pretty stretched out.

The diameter looked to be similar. The XLC was maybe just a tad thicker, but were talking like a half inch without really smashing it down.

That is with a bug net on both hammocks.

Good luck

Hammock
    11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    thanks TallPaul
    The need to know will do things to a guy.

Sorry if I'm bugging you but do you have a girth measurement? Trying to figure out openings for skins still

As always, Will
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast