Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Cool Falls Lake Trail Thru Hike

I'm thinking that I want to tackle the local "big" trail in my area. The Falls lake trail runs approximately 60 miles through Durham and Wake Counties (Raleigh/Durham, NC) along the southern coast of Falls Lake. This is the part of the MST (Mountain to Sea Trail) that runs through the area. Stealth camping is not allowed along the Falls Lake trail thus a particular mileage is necessary each day, between 15 & 20 miles per day, to reach the designated campgrounds (Rolling View and Shinleaf).

Unfortunately there is not a whole wealth of information on this trail online and the Official map that is online is outdated and only shows about half of the trail. There is a much better google map available, but even so it doesn't give much information beyond a GPS track and is still missing part of the western end of the official trail. The best map available seems to be from artshikingmaps.info via the USPS or you can print out sections 26 & 27 of his printer your own MST map.

The local outfitter has a brief write up about the Falls Lake Trail and there is even a written trail description of the trail on the Friends of the MST website.

I'm looking at Labor Day weekend as a good possibility to tackle the trail. The temps will be warm enough to allow for absolute minimal insulation, if any at all even being needed. I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone would be interested in joining me on this surprisingly wonderful trail so near to a metropolitan area.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Catavarie,
    Keep us in the loop. I've hiked it from Rolling View to the Falls Dam in segments. Shinleaf is a great overnight spot.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I've been doing out and back day hikes along the trail for a while now, just have the itch to do the whole thing in one big shot. And I'd prefer to do it when the hunters aren't out shooting at every little sound in the woods.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts