Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings

How do you use your pad?

I really like pads for insulation in my hammock but there are a lot of options out there (ccf, thermarest, air mattresses, etc.) most of which can be made to work effectively in a hammock. For those of you with a lot of pad experience what kinds of pads do you actually use and how do you use them (for example under-inflated thermarest? with an spe? in a double layer? as a Sgn. Rock style wing pad? two pieces of ccf crossed? one very wide ccf pad? do you get by with just a 20"-25" wide pad?...) in your hammock? I've heard a lot about what can work but I'm really curious what you guys are consistently using. Thanks!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I use Wal-Mart CCF pads, one full length and one cut into three sections; a small sit pad, a large sit pad and a three quarter length pad for warm weather. This Winter I went on a few outings to get my cold weather set up perfect. I wounded up finding that the full length pad with the large sit pad up under my torso and the small sit pad under my feet was sufficient. I had some issues with cold shoulders, but found that laying my jacket under me with the sleeves on either side of the pad helped that. This was down to about 25 F. If I went much below that I'd take the 3/4 length also and put that perpendicular to the full length pad for my shoulders.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    CCF pad as kneeling pad in canoe used to lounge in camp then goes into SPE in the hammock. Polyfleece on body side of SPE. Bulky but adds warmth and allows some air circulation.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I primarily backpack with my hammock, so I use my 25" wide neoair between the layers of my WBBB dbl. I do underinflate it, and I also bring my sit pad into the hammock with me. I place the pad lengthwise along / under my left shoulder, keeping the netting further off that shoulder.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    I primarily backpack with my hammock, so I use my 25" wide neoair between the layers of my WBBB dbl. I do underinflate it, and I also bring my sit pad into the hammock with me. I place the pad lengthwise along / under my left shoulder, keeping the netting further off that shoulder.
    This is what I've been toying with for my large sit pad; putting it under the shoulder I seem to favor. It seems that I lay mostly to one side, so an SPE on both sides is actually not needed. I'm still experimenting with the idea though.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I sometimes use a NeoAir Xlite combined with a Therarest zlite (the accordian one) cut exactly in half as wings for the shoulder area. The Zlite cut in half results in the perfect length for wings and folds up real nice. It also doubles as a really sweet sit pad. I too usually underflate the NeoAir Xlite.

I've also used SPEs with wally world pads but they are really bulky and the SPE just adds extra weight.

Miguel

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I don't use a pad as much now - but I do use a JRB torso pad for lighter, warm trips. I'm sure it would take me down into the upper 40s, but I enjoy my UQ anytime its below 60. The best success I've had with pads is with the shorter ones where my head and feet are off the pad. I get a flatter lay out of this. Used a Big Agnes Petite, or 60" long pad. Used to supplement the sides with a SPE.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I need to try out my Big Agnes Air Core some more. I abandoned it a while ago for CCF, but a lot of my preferences have changed since then. I think it may be time to revisit... Particularly once it warms up.

Hammock
    WBBB, DangerBird, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I need to try out my Big Agnes Air Core some more. I abandoned it a while ago for CCF, but a lot of my preferences have changed since then. I think it may be time to revisit... Particularly once it warms up.
    FWIW I use the BA insulated air core and found that I *did not* like it partially deflated, as it seemed to bottom out under my butt which lead to CBS. Couple weeks ago used it fully inflated on my back porch on a night where it got down to 26F before I woke up comfortable enough but knew it was too cold to keep sleeping... that's right at the woman's "comfort rating" on the Marmot Helium bag I was in, so I was happy with how that test went. Ready to rock n' roll on my lashup.

Unfortunately husby is wider shouldered/armed than I am and we're working on how to solve his 'cold arm syndrome'. Next experiment will be an SPE I got on here.

Hammock
    "Sherman" dyi DL digital camo
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I took 2 a Walmart ccf pad and cut it into 2" strips. I then weaved them into a 30" x40" flexible pad duct taping the edges. I have used it in my diy dl hammock down to 30. I also use it in my folding camp chair, ice fishing chair, and once on my creeper working on my truck. It verycomfy iI have always planned on putting a cover on it made out of rip stop but it works pretty good as is.
    If you can't duck it then use more duct tape!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast